Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Delegation of retention decisions
From: "Alan S. Zaben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 May 2000 18:18:56 -0400

Ken,

Delegating the retention decision could be very troublesome to say the
least.  Assuming the Records Committee is composed of senior people from
line organizations, finance, legal, and audit, at a minimum, you are asking
the records officers to act with the knowledge and experience of each of
those committee members, which probably is unrealistic.

More succinctly said, don't ask a lawyer for financial advice, don't ask an
account for legal advice, etc.  Focus on trying speed up the Records
Committee's deliberations.  If that can't be done, realize that you just
have to keep those records until a valid retention period is approved by
the "legally established body".

Doing otherwise will result in more trouble than what you want to deal with.

Records retention to most of the IT folks I know means "we use the
grandfather principle for rotating all our tapes".  And as we all know,
that ain't records retention.

Alan

ALAN S. ZABEN
"A Cancer Survivor"
Edison, NJ

Cancer may have robbed me of that blissful ignorance that once led me to
believe that tomorrow stretched forever.  In exchange I've been granted
the wisdom to see each today as something special, a gift to be used wisely
and fully.  Nothing can take that away.

Hopes and dreams reign where cancer cannot go.