Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: looking for examples of "award winning" municipal web pages
From: "Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 May 2000 10:14:03 -0400

It's not a huge step from "records manager" to "information policy-maker" to
"information dissemiter"  (is that a word?).  So now I find myself part of a
municipal web design committee and members are looking for guidance on
issues such as public access, records content, form design, right-to-know,
confidentiality, etc.

I am looking for examples of city or town government home pages that really
are "award winning," "stellar," or "best practices" sites.  Most of what
I've seen is really cluttered.  And it seems that some of the biggest cities
have the worst sites: too many images, weak directories, not friendly to the
sight-impaired...all that's missing in some locations are the dancing
hamsters!

Can anybody offer some municipal-specific superstar sites? Thanks much.

FYI...I've reviewed -- and recommend these to anyone involved in web page
design -- Steven Clift's page titled "Links to Service Reform and Public
Portal Information" at http://archive.wln.com/localgov/1612.html and Jakob
Nielsen's web design "Alertbox" articles at
http:///www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html and
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9710a.html

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk