Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: An inch wide, a mile deep
From: Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 May 2000 22:14:50 -0500

I'm sitting here, trying to decide if our new good friend Mr. Paget, is
the same person as many of our previous good friends (DrCSynatRM, Jerome
Kendall, etc.). The writing style sure seems familiar and comments
slightly acidic. But always entertaining to read, if not agree with.

I did a quick net search for "Harry Paget", and I'm trying to decide if
this is a play on the character Harry Paget Flashman or simply an
interesting happenstance of naming.

In any event, I'm not sure that I wholy agree with the diatribe. The
Information Management Journal is as close as we get to a scholarly body
of knowledge about our profession. The writing is horribly dry and
academic. I've often noted that there seems to be quite a number of
academics writing in the Journal and the former RMQ -- seems like some
of those may be of the "publish or perish" variety. I think I'd agree
with Harry that few ARMA members read the darn thing cover to cover,
but, when the heat is on and you need to find something to cite, it's
nice to have around. And, you may even learn something once in a while.
On the whole, I think I'd rather have it in the present form, than not
have it at all. InfoPro is the place to go for the 50,000 foot view of
life and the easy read.

I'll agree that the editing of the first article was a little uneven
around the citations for postings from our little coffee klatsch.
"Listserve" is something of the technical term for what this group is,
although I think the more generic term is properly "mailing list".
"Listserv", as was once pointed out by Marc, is the trade name for the
software that distributes the list. Beyond that, I think that article
raised some interesting theoretical ideas about where the profession is
going.
--

Patrick Cunningham, CRM