Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Rolling Shelving/Flue Space
From: Chernikoff Tod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:34:42 -0400

You might wish to check NARA's -- Facility Standards for Records Storage
Facilities at http://www.nara.gov/nara/cfr/cfr1228k.html

They incorporate many ASTM, ANSI and NFPA standards.  It could be of help.

In addition I seem to remember while on a tour of NARA's Archives II in
College Park, that the night parking and fire alarm positioning of the
mobile shelving was about 6 inches apart.

A quote from the above referenced document:

(3) Compact mobile shelving systems (if used) must be designed to permit
proper air circulation and fire protection (detailed specifications that
meet this requirement can be provided by NARA by writing to Director, Space
and Security Management Division (NAS), National Archives and Records
Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001.).

NAS Phone Number:  301-713-6750

Hope this helps

Tod

Tod Chernikoff