Help for GRADSTUDENT-L Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Archives

Subject: ETD Workshop Information for Summer 2002
From: Graduate School <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 May 2002 08:52:50 -0400

TO:  Graduate Students
From: CIRCA's ETD Staff [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

The Electronic Thesis & Dissertation (ETD) Workshop dates and times for
SUMMER 2002 have been posted at the following website:

        http://etd.circa.ufl.edu/calendar.html

Please take the opportunity to attend these exciting and informative
workshops regarding the process of producing and submitting a
thesis/dissertation at the University of Florida.  All graduate students
are welcome to attend.

To guarantee seating for everyone, we are now incorporating registration
for our ETD Workshops.  Simply click on the REGISTRATION button next to
any of the workshop titles on our "Calendar of Events" page and you will
be taken to our online registration form.  Once the form is completed and
submitted, you will receive confirmation via e-mail within 24 hours.
Depending on demand, additional sections of a workshop topic can be added.
So please, visit our website for more information and registration.

Below is a brief description of each workshop.  The dates and times can be
found on our website:

1. General ETD Informational Workshop
-------------------------------------

An overview of the procedures required for producing a thesis/dissertation
at UF (including deadlines, accepted file formats, consultation services
that are available, etc.)  (Duration = 1 hour)

2. Technical ETD Workshop #1 - (Using the CIRCA Formatting Template)

An introduction to CIRCA's formatting templates for Microsoft Word.
Information regarding the WordPerfect & LaTeX templates will also be
presented.  (Duration = 1 hour)

3. Technical ETD Workshop #2 - (Conversion to and Submission of .PDF)

How to convert documents from different word processors into the Portable
Document Format (.PDF).  Conversion from Microsoft Word, WordPerfect and
LaTeX will discussed, creating links and making other modifications using
Adobe Acrobat will be demonstrated, and submission of the final product to
the Editorial Office will be reviewed.  (Duration = 1 hour)

4. Weekend Combination Workshop (duration 3 hours)

This 3-hour workshop is a combination of the GENERAL INFORMATION, USING
THE TEMPLATE (Tech 1), and CONVERSION TO PDF (Tech. 2) workshops.  This
may prove more convenient for graduate students who can't make the
individual sessions held during the week.  (Duration = 3 hours)

5. ETD Troubleshooting Workshop
-------------------------------

This is a 2-Hour hands-on workshop on how to troubleshoot the following
using Microsoft Word:

        - Margins
        - Page Numbering
        - Landscaped Pages
        - Image Insertion
        - Footnotes

(Duration = 2 hours)

-------

A campus map highlighting points of interest (Reitz Union, CIRCA Labs
and BLDG 105) can be found at the following URL:

        http://etd.circa.ufl.edu/map.html

If you have any questions or comments about the ETD Workshops, please
e-mail CIRCA ETD Technical Support at:  [log in to unmask]

...or make an appointment to visit us for consultation:

        http://etd.circa.ufl.edu

Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you at the workshops!

- CIRCA ETD Consulting/Training Team