Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: NOW: Topics re:MANDATORY Destruction, etc.
From: WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:11:31 -0800

Larry Medina wrote:
Folks, an example of a required destruction appears in USC Section 922 Title
18 (s)(6)(B)(i) referring to records relating to the transfer of handguns
(ie, sale or transfer):

>(i) the officer shall, within 20 business days after the date
      the transferee made the statement on the basis of which the
      notice was provided, destroy the statement, any record containing
      information derived from the statement, and any record created as
      a result of the notice required by paragraph (1)(A)(i)(III);

There may be other examples within this set of regs - this was the first one
I came across (lazy person that I am).

Larry, the juvenile records requirement I referred to was the case at one
point a long time ago. Since then the whole concept of juvenile justice has
changed significantly. The two reasons I recall this was: we had to get
approval from the Juvenile Court to carry out a mass, regular destruction of
volume as opposed to an individual expungement process; and, I had to figure
out how to store a whole lot of boxes that suddenly had "indefinite"
retentions when the requirement changed. Our first major Records Center
expansion was related in part to having to accommodate this sudden change.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records & Distribution Services Manager
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronic & Distribution Services
2505 SE 11th Avenue
Portland OR 97202
phone: (503)988-3741
fax: (503)988-3754