Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Emails and .pst files
From: Jo Terry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:15:46 -0000

Good morning.

Having lurked for a while I'm actually asking a question. I have searched on Google but would appreciate fellow professional's advice!

Out Human Resources section wants to 'archive' all their emails to a pst file accessible through Outlook. Apart from my concerns that they are intending to keep all their emails I am also concerned that they are saving them outside their file server and away from their other electronic records, I am also unsure how stable .pst files are.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with .pst files and know whethere they are accessible via another package other than Outlook? How stable they are?  Previously I had recommended saving selected emails (depending on the subject of it) in .rtf format according to the retention schedule that we are currently working on with them. I would also appreciate any feedback generally on ways of storing emails over a period of time.

I am hoping that we will be able to implement and electronic records management software package in the authority, which will go some way to solving some of the problems with managing electronic records.

Jo

Joanna Terry (Miss)
Electronic Records Manager
Modern Records Unit