Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Introduction
From: "Bergeron, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:41:38 -0500

The Council of State Historical Records Coordinators (COSHRC) maintains a page with links to the 50 state archives: http://www.coshrc.org/arc/states.htm  By sorting through the state sites, you will find a lot of information on retention schedules, how to write them, sample schedules, etc., etc.

Under "Michigan," you will find a link to "Local Government Records" - http://www.sos.state.mi.us/history/archive/local.html - which includes General Records Schedules for local government offices.

I sometimes find that New Hampshire's schedule isn't as detailed as I might like, and I have often referred to New York's retention schedules to help me "break down" the more general descriptions, in the NH state schedule, into sub-series: http://www.nysarchives.org/g/nysaservices/ns_serv_mg_mu1schedule.shtml  (There are a number of "dead links" on the New York pages, though.  It seems that the website may be going through some revisions.)

You will also find that some states are much further ahead than others when it comes to retention schedules for electronic records.  Generally, when in doubt, I set the retention period for a record based on its "content" (e.g., tax warrant) rather than its format (e.g., paper, film, disk, etc.) when I lack direction for something like "electronic" records.  (Of course, that leads to issues of migration of data, but that's a whole 'nother topic.)

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street
Nashua, NH 03060