Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Emails and .pst files
From: Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:17:23 -0800

Jo:

Bad move.  PST files can get corrupted -- that is why MS provided a PST
fix up tool.  Plus the format is proprietary and undocumented.  It may
even change between Outlook releases, or be dropped in a future release.

From a records standpoint, they'd be better saving individual messages
in an ASCII format (.txt or .msg) [see File/Save As on Message menu].

If you lose this battle, make sure that the Archive PST is kept on a
network server that is backed up.  And design the system so they use a
rule [Outlook Tools/Rule Wizard] or other tool to copy stuff over.

Bernard Chester , CDIA, ICP
Principal
IMERGE Consulting
"Expertise in controlling unstructured information"
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.imergeconsult.com
Pacific Northwest Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316
Mercer Island, WA  98040
office: 206-230-9253 / mobile: 206-979-7389