Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Electronic Records Certifications
From: Dept Folder ADMIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:00:52 -0500

I agree that we need a new certification in the Records area. Having read the ICRM's newsletter for the last year I'm convinced that the present leadership of the ICRM wants no part of electronic records.

I think that ARMA should move forward with it's Strategic Information initiative and create several new categories of certification. These certifications are needed for persons at different levels of the information industry such as analysts, Records Operation Managers, Records and Information Managers, and Strategic Information Officers. These new certifications should include far more detail and experience with electronic information.

I think there is at least a need for:

CRA: Certified Records Analyst
CROM: Certified Records Operations Manager:
CRM: Certified Records Manager (which already exists)
SIM: Strategic Information Manager
SIO: Strategic Information Officer

The SIM and the SIO represent the future career paths for the information management professional. There are many opportunities for advancement that "records" personnel are shut out of because in many people's minds "records" will continue to mean hardcopy paper files. We as a profession must work to change that perspective or we will always be relegated to the basement. The time to do this is now - while records and in particular email and other electronic information is a prominent topic of discussion amongst upper management.

Gregg M Long JD, CRM
UnumProvident, Inc.
Electronic Record Analyst
Office:  423-508-6254