Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: WAS Re: Electronic Records Certifications NOW: Kvetching about salaries, ...
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:14:17 EST

Leave it to Larry Medina to make the needed summation of the issues that
Gregg has raised. His response puts the proper perspective on items that have
received prior exposure. It is unfortunate and almost unbelievable that an
organization founded in 1956 and currently having 10,000 members is still
wagging the "battle of recognition." It is becoming a negative overkill
approach. There are many top notch RIM administrators out there that have RIM
foundations and their dedication and hard work has gained them recognition.
Full recognition is a combined effort of the partitioners in a given field
and the association that represents them. I think the members have been doing
their part in the support of the association and the profession. The other
side of the street is not as green. While we have attained a workable level
of recognition, our association has decided to take a new approach. Not
overly accepted by its membership and offered as a "new us" rather than a
"maturing us."

 The last few months have seen a flurry of needed actions---a member survey
(although short of its make of truly measuring our profession rather than a
headquarters evaluation), an overdue response to a meaningful NARA approach
to records management (a prime supporter of our professions from its
beginning), and the white paper on FAQ-Information Management-A Business
Imperative (we should hear about reaction shortly, not from members but the
top executive level at which it was directed). Amid these positive
approaches, the year-end decision on the SII and its impact is yet to be
determined. At some point we may really find out what it is all about. 2003
will be a milestone year for ARMA and our profession. Hopefully it will
produce full and open discussion of our professional direction, properly
utilize what has been developed in the past, and represent a maturing
profession rather than one still looking for identity,

What resolution are you making to continue the recognition of RIM (I believe
it is there and can prosper if both sides of the street are confident and
supportive of professional objectives)?

This is a great profession and a great association. Over the years its has
provided the luxury of great friends and colleagues. A very happy holiday
season to all.

Bill Benedon