Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: RIM Assertiveness Commentary
From: John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:30:25 -0500

Ginny,

I think you are well advised to cultivate and develop your "(some say
loudmouth) demeanor", if that is effective in getting a place at the
strategic planning table. One of the major challenges for many records
managers that I have discovered over the years is their lack of plain old
ASSERTIVENESS. There is unfortunately an intrinsic personality conflict
within a profession that has historically developed passive custodians of
records and now must develop strategic leaders. I think that polite but
insistent assertiveness is the only way that records management issues ever
make it to the head of the line of individuals standing outside of the
executive's office.

Maybe "The ability to be Politely Insistent" should be in every records
manager's job description!

John

John T. Phillips MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Information Technology Decisions