Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: RIM Assertiveness Commentary
From: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:27:57 -0800

> >re.....I have discovered over the years is their lack of plain old
> >ASSERTIVENESS.....
>
>Good point although, I believe it is not as much the need for assertiveness
>(although important) but rather "respect" for us records and information
>management professionals that needs to be nurtured and cultivated.  However,
>I am from the old school and respect is "earned".

John (G)-

I think what John (P) was getting at (in concert with Ginny's comment) was
the obvious need for those in the RIM community to become more
self-assertive when it comes to getting the word out in their organizations
and institutions relative to the importance of RIM and what it "brings to
the table."

I'll repeat these comments from the post I made yesterday:

>"...Records management provides the minimum essential context for
>transforming data and information into knowledge on the way to
>understanding, for preserving the right data, information, knowledge and
>understanding at the right level of security, and for destroying at the
>right time that which no longer has value...."  and "...While
>records-management may never become  glamorous, it will become the
>steadfast foundation of knowledge-based operations, with profoundly
>harmful consequences attending its neglect..."

It's (as you said yourself) not reasonable to assume you can "cultivate or
nurture" respect for a profession, it needs to be earned and the way to
accomplish that is to show the value you add and prove this through your
actions and efforts to contribute to the business of the business you're in.

Larry