Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: MORE Re: RAINdrop- Is it okay to order the destruction of Federal records, as long...
From: Lawrence Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:04:09 -0800

>The message sent is that one can destroy/hide documents, be >convicted of obstuction of justice, and still retire just fine from the >FBI. How many other felonies allow one to serve your time, pay your >debts, and then retire on the government payroll? What message >does this send to any other potential spoliators in the federal >government?
Exactly the point I was trying to make, John.

In addition, I'd like to call attention to this article posted in RAIN:

New York Times 12/09/02
Agency Adds Shredding of Documents to Inquiry
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/10/politics/10HEAL.html?

From the article:

"In its inquiry, the accounting office learned of the destruction of documents in the office of the inspector general, known as O.I.G. It informed Ms. Rehnquist, who informed Congress.

"On Nov. 27, 2002," she said in a letter last week to the two senators who initiated the inquiry, "William Scanlon of the G.A.O. called Lewis Morris, my chief counsel, to report that the G.A.O. had received reports that in early November O.I.G. documents had been shredded."

Mr. Morris then instructed employees in the office to "stop all document destruction until further notice," Ms. Rehnquist said.

Ms. Rehnquist herself is apparently not suspected of destroying documents, and she told the two senators, Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa, and Max Baucus, Democrat of Montana, that her office routinely destroyed documents that included "sensitive information such as proprietary data."

The question I'd ask is what is the retention schedule for investigative documents used by the OIG?  These would likely be considered "case files" in most circumstances, and I'd think that they would have value as supporting documents for substantiating decisions made in investigations.  I can understand the concept of "sensitive and proprietary data", but sufficient controls should be in place to limit access to those with a need to know to this information and it should be appropriately protected and retained in accordance with published schedules.

Larry