Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: State Employee Salaries on the Web?
From: Shari Coughenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:04:51 -0600

This topic piqued my interest enough to speak up.  I'm a newcomer to the list. As the City Clerk in Marshalltown Iowa, population 26009, I handle the required publications.

Iowa State Code requires cities over 200 to publish notices in a daily circulating newspaper and also sets the rate newspapers charge cities for those required publications. These required publications include the annual wage publication for all city employees.  So in "my" case, electronic publication on the web is an additional service I provide for the public and has two benefits.  I also send meeting agendas and minutes electronically to a list.  The first benefit is a HUGE time savings, both for me and the public.  The public is able to retrieve information without a call or visit to city hall.
Secondly, their perception of city government is improved- They're no longer in the dark.
Perhaps I could add a third benefit. . . the reporters get the story correct when they have the minutes in front of them! Sometime I wonder if they were at the same meeting.
(Interestingly enough, small cities (under 200) that don't have a daily newspaper are allowed to post in three places prescribed by ordinance, for example at the Library, Grocery Store and Community Bulletin.)

Shari Coughenour
City Clerk, Marshalltown Iowa

PS.  One of my "duties" is to develop a records retention program for the city.  It's not as easy as the city council believes! Ames Iowa has a clerk who has implemented one and kindly forwarded her manual.  Even armed with this information it's hard to fit it in with the rest of the daily tasks.
Thanks for such a GREAT source of information!

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/03/02 09:30PM >>>
Hello All!

I am researching the cost benefit of posting salaries of University
employees (in accordance with California Public Records and Information
Practices Laws) on the web.  Basically, this is a public record and I am
thinking about creating a self service web page to save a lot of our staff's
time and the peoples' money.

After a few hours of poking around on the web, it seems that this is not a
popular idea. I found a few Canadian University sites where they (by law)
publish the names and salaries of folks who earn over C$100,000.  In the US
I found only two sites.  These sites
(http://www.thestateonline.com/db/salary/salary1.php
http://desmoinesregister.com/extras/salary/) are newspapers who have
published state employee salaries.

Does anyone have knowledge of public institutions that proactively publish
their salary information on the web?

I used to recall that the State of Virginia published a salary list every
year for its public U's.  It seems they haven't pushed this to the web.

Anyway, your help is, as always, greatly appreciated!

Chuck

Chuck Piotrowski
Campus Records Manager
Chancellor's Office Administrative Records Supervisor
Office of the Chancellor
296 McHenry Library
University of California, Santa Cruz
1156 High St.
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
831.459.2666
http://www2.ucsc.edu/iam
office hours: Monday - Friday  10 a.m. to 7 p.m.