Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Question About the Preservation of Real Audio Recordings 12-17-2002
From: Kathy Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:31:15 +1100

Hi Rich,

You might check out the resources as
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/audio/  Alternatively, you should
find some good discussion around this topic on various sites dedicated to
oral history preservation (oral history groups are doing very advanced work
in this area, as it is central to their core interests).

You will probably find as many answers as there are members of this list
about audio preservation formats though - it is still an area under
construction in long-term preservation thinking!

Good luck with it.

Regards

Kathy Sinclair
Policy & Training Manager
VERS Centre of Excellence
Public Record Office Victoria
tel: (03) 9285 7935
fax: (03) 9285 7953
email: [log in to unmask]
net: www.prov.vic.gov.au/vers/toolkit

                      Rich Wilson
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      .US>                     cc:       (bcc: Kathy Sinclair/DPC)
                      Sent by: Records         Subject:  Question About the Preservation of Real Audio
                      Management                Recordings              12-17-2002
                      Program
                      UFL.EDU>

                      18/12/02 02:39 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Records
                      Management
                      Program

Greetings from Wonderful Wyoming,

I am looking for help with the following question:

We are in the process of accessing our departing Governor's records. We
think we have a handle on word processing documents and graphic files, But,
what about the Real Audio recordings?  Is there a preferred "archival"
format for digitized sound recordings?  Obviously we'd like to have these
transcribed, but that is probably down the road.  Is there a migration
path?

Thank you for your wisdom.

Rich Wilson, MCP
Electronic Records Unit Supervisor
Wyoming State Archives
2301 Central Ave
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0001
Phone:307-777-5586  Fax:307-777-7044

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public
business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records Act and may be disclosed
to third parties.