Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: RAINdrop- Is it okay to order the destruction of Federal reco rds, as long...
From: Lawrence Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:24:17 -0800

>>If the Government is not going to enforce the rule of law on it's own
employees, then how can they expect to enforce it on corporate criminals?<<

>Let me see if I understand you correctly, because the individual was
>employed by the government he should not be allowed the same judicial
>options that others have? Like the ability to plea bargain?

No, that wasn't the point exactly, Bill...

He was a FEDERAL EMPLOYEE who broke a FEDERAL LAW in the course of his employment.  The contract for employemnt he signed states that he is "subject to prosecution to the full extent of the law" was the point I was making.

Beyond that, my comment was the fact that he had plea bargained to a lesser crime showed that he had been provided leniency, and to reinstate his right to vote, pension and other Government retirement benefits (at the cost of taxpayers, like you and I) seemed to go "above and beyond" what he was entitled to.

The other point I was raising was here we have the Government seeking justice against the employees of Andersen, ENRON and a host of Financial Services and Investment Firms for wrongdoing, namely the destruction of records and/or failure to retain records in accordance with the law and then "making magic happen" to allow this former FBI Agent to skate with a slap on the hand.

Larry