Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Storing microfiche
From: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:43:55 -0800

>We have been storing microfiche for a client for approximately 5 years. They
>have always requested that it be stored in a climate controlled environment,
>which we have provided. The vault is also equipped with an FM-200 fire
>system.
>
>Over the years the client's management has changed and they are now asking
>us why they need to pay the higher costs for the climate controlled vault.
>They destroy the microfiche after seven years.
>
>It has always been my understanding that with a relatively short life there
>is very little need for a climate controlled environment for microfiche.
>However this information is highly critical to their operation. The cost for
>storing in the vault is approximately double that of a standard heated area.
>Like everyone else the client is trying to cut costs but they also do not
>want to make a mistake.

Not at all an unusual situation... I think the answers reside in the
picture you've painted though, and it's just going to have to be a
judgement call your client will need to make based on the level of risk
they're willing to accept.

1) this information is highly critical to their operation

2) The vault is also equipped with an FM-200 fire system

3) The cost for storing in the vault is approximately double that of a
standard heated area.

They need to make a decision as to what it would cost them if they lost the
information if it was possibly involved in a fire or damaged by water due
to an accidental sprinkler discharge or other exposure to the
elements.  I'm sure you provide the best possible protection to all the
holdings in your facility, but the vault (with it's FM-200 system) provides
that "extra level" of protection that 's required for media to ensure it's
not damaged... and if this information is TRULY critical to their operation
(or may be required by law or regulation for them to produce at some point
during it's 7 year retention) then they need to decide if the 2x price
they're paying is a form of "insurance" they feel they need.

Larry