Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Size of average e-mail
From: "Mallory, Alicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:21:34 -0600

Ginny asked "Does anyone have an idea of the size (in kb) of an average
e-mail (without attachments)?  Is there a great difference in the size of an
e-mail in plain text, html and rich text?"

My HTML e-mails look to be around 5 KB, while the rtf seem to be around 1
KB.  Plain text looks to be .5 to .75 KB.  (This is just my Inbox, I'm not
sure about common sizes across the board.)

I can offer this tip to let you look at the sizes of e-mails you receive.

In Microsoft Outlook (I'm using Outlook 2000) you can see the size of
messages by:
1. Go to your inbox.
2. Right click on the toolbar (where you see From, Subject, Received, etc.)
3. Select "customize current view" on the menu that pops up.
4. Click on the button labeled fields.
5. Scroll down on the left and select "size" then click on "add".
6. Click "ok".

This should add size to your inbox view.  If you have trouble with the above
instructions, try searching for "change current view" in Outlook help.

Hope this helps you out!

Alicia Mallory
Records Retention Analyst
Teacher Retirement System of Texas