Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Size of average e-mail
From: "Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:17:25 -0500

Patrick's project sounds intriguing and challenging.  Waterworks is not
quite in the same league with space.  We only have 6 GBs of server space
occupied by e-mail, although the role of the Records Manager in assisting
with a solution is recognized.  6 GBs of a 12 GB server is a lot of server
space for the e-mail of a small (370 employee) department in local
government.  My budget request is driven by the lack of e-mail management by
the users - several of the biggest "never delete" users are in our "C" level
(we have one manager with over 9000 e-mails in their mailbox).  Saying we
need to reduce e-mail storage because we occupy 6 gig does not seem to make
an impression. After all, "everyone knows that hard drive space is cheap."
Equating that to 2.1 million e-mails to be managed (usually involving manual
determination/deletion), sorted through for FOIA reponses, and produced for
a legal discovery makes the point in a more dramatic way.

I like the idea Bill had of including the clusters - I just wish I knew how
to do that.  I'll have to do some more research.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities