Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: NoMail
From: "Harris, Dionne N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:31:53 -0600

Set NoMail

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugh Smith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 12/21/2002 1:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What do you expect of your offsite records storage
provider???

One issue that controls the whole dialog on NFPA 232 Protection of
Records is what you expect from those who store your records?

Could I please get some direct replies on this. If you wish to post to
the Listserv that is great too;  but some of you feel uncomfortable
doing that. If so send it to me and I will take a copy with me to
future meetings where we discuss what is expected of offsite records
storage companies.

I have personally invested hundreds of hours in meetings, follow up,
research, dialog as well as $2,500 or so in air fare, hotel, rental
cars to travel to Washington, D.C. , Phoenix, Siddona, Baltimore,
Phoenix, Las Vegas, and now I need to go to Tempe for yet another
meeting on this.

I need to know............What is the role of offsite storage of
records?????????
________________

Survey:
When you send records offsite to your records center or to a vendor, do
you feel that these records  deserve protection from possible
catastrophic destruction or are you sending them off campus to just
free up real estate?

Are the records that are sent offsite of value to your organization?

If they are destroyed or lost will this create expense for your
organization?

Would you try to recreate these records?

What is the role of offsite records storage?
        Is it just a less expensive piece of real estate to keep records?
        Is it a redundant form of record that backs up your main office so
that loss at the main office allows recovery by use of the      offsite
records storage copy?
        What percentage of records end up with both the original and the
copy
being stored offsite?

I would also like to know how many companies have warehouses where the
size of the record storage compartment is already bigger than 250,000
boxes of records? (If you don't want to count boxes just calculate the
size of the storage compartment by multiplying the length times the
width and then multiply this by the useable height for racking.)

I want to know how many companies use compartments with less than
250,000 cubic feet of records?

In today's environment of terrorism, post Enron/Andersen
disillusionment with corporate records keeping do you feel a greater
need to protect records or is management not changing their practices
with regard to business continuity?

end of survey
________________

I work with many independent records storage companies and they run
their businesses to be a true disaster recovery operation. They design,
build and operate their records centers as if they are your lifeline.
An entire nationwide network of centers is developing that see their
role as being part of your disaster recovery plan. They build media
vaults, microfilm vaults as well as compartmentalize their warehouses.
We are looking for guidance here and I want to know so that these
service providers can deliver what you expect.

I also want to know what NFPA 232 should address in future meetings?

A meeting is scheduled to see if NFPA 232 can be tweaked to provide a
middle ground in Tempe. Larry Medina has discussed it and asked for
your help. I also need your help. I need factual information to carry
to the committee on what you really expect in the way of performance
from your records centers both in-house and vendor operated.

Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134