Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Electronic Filing
From: "Gervais, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:41:17 -0500

Here in Canada, our National Archivist has expressed real concern with
varying disparate technologies being used to store information.  There are
many, many different types of tools which can no longer be used to access
information, as they are not made anymore and are outdated.  There aren't
even any companies out there that can repair some of the equipment if it
breaks down. This only serves to highlight the need to have some kind of
uniform standard for the storage of information.  I think it is wonderful
that we want to capture our historical information for perpetuity, however,
will we be able to access it if the tools or software won't work?  My
musings for the day.  Cheers!

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Business Development and Strategic Planning Division,
Information Management Directorate,
Finance and Administration Branch,
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency,
16th Floor, Albion Tower, 25 Nicolas Street,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5

        '       (613) 957-6621
        "       http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca