Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: WAS: Austin Chapter hosts Workshop,NOW: Topics re:Destruction, etc.
From: Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:37:33 -0800

Peter, I knew the scenario you proposed was hypothetical.  I was addressing the scenario.

To go a step further, I do not think any U.S. federal or state regulatory agency would ever have the clout, or legal backing, to be able to require an organization to destroy records at any certain point in time, unless it is their own agency and via their own retention policy schedule.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM

>>> Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]> 12/03/02 08:44AM >>>
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:06:57 -0800, Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> There are no regulatory agencies of which I am aware who force you to
>destroy records at any certain point in time.

>What if one law says you can destroy a particular type of record after x
>amount of time, AND another law clearly states that you can not destroy
that
>particular record? mmmmmm?

Steve

My statement was a hypothetical one , a "what if", a question designed to
get you thinking. I, too am unaware of a regulation or statute that
explicitly requires the destruction of records,_BUT_ what if there were and
it was in conflict with another law that required you to keep the record?

Peterk