Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:35:43 -0400

Monday, April 28, 2003

Topics:

1. Honors Professors of the Year
2. Thank you Notes
3. Leaving Town Shortly?
4. US Senate Internship in the Office of Senator Bill Nelson in Florida
5. New Scholarship: Department of Homeland Security (rising juniors and
seniors)
6. NEEDED: a few good photographs

Details:

1. HONORS PROFESSORS OF THE YEAR: The Officers of the Student Honors
Organization would
like to congratulate the following professors for being selected as the
Honors Professors
of the Year for 2002-03!

Dr. Li-Chien Shen, Honors Calculus III, Math Dept.
Dr. Elaine Turner, Honors Nutrition through Life Cycle, Food Science and
Human Nutrition Dept.

Thank you to all of the students who nominated professors this year.  It was
a challenge to select just two out of the fantastic nominees we had.  Have a
great summer, and we'll see you next year!

The Officers of the Student Honors Organization

2. THANK YOU NOTES: Just a reminder that it is a very good idea to write a
thank you note to
each of the persons who wrote you a letter of recommendation. You might want
to wait until you get accepted and then you can give the person the good
news that their letter helped!  Even if you didn't win the scholarship, I'd
follow up with a thank you note.

If you have had a particularly good class or a professor who has been esp.
helpful, a thank you note is also a nice gesture (AFTER you have received
your grade).

When I was a kid, my mother used to make me send thank you letters to
relatives for Christmas gifts. I used to hate doing it. Now I know it was a
very good idea to do so for many reasons.

Not a bad idea to buy yourself some simple but tasteful note cards to write
the thank you notes on!

3. LEAVING TOWN SHORTLY: Getting ready to leave?

Please recycle non perishables, furniture, clothes. Residence halls should
have containers in the lobby. If you live in an apartment, you can drop the
stuff off at Good Will 3520 SW 34th St.(right near Archer Road).

And please don't abandon your pets. Every spring many abandoned pets are
left to fend for themselves in Gainesville. They deserve better. Take them
with you or find them a new home.

4. US SENATE INTERNSHIP IN THE OFFICE OF SENATOR BILL NELSON IN FLORIDA:
Senator Bill Nelson has three offices
in Florida in need of bright, young minds to serve as interns for the summer
semester. This is an
unpaid internship.

A student with a keen interest in public and political affairs who is well
rounded academically is sought.
Reliability and ability to work a consistent schedule is even more
important.
Hours and responsibilities are negotiable. To be considered you need to
submit:
a cover letter outlining your desire to work for Senator Nelson. Resume
detailing educational,
 work and extracurricular experience. Minimum of two instructor or employer
recommendations.
 Main Florida office is in Orlando: contact Sue Speer at 407-872-7161 or at
[log in to unmask]  There are offices also in Tallahassee,
Tampa, Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, Broward, Miami.
E-mail me if you would like the phone number and e-mail for one of these
offices.

(This is a terrific opportunity. SKD)

5. EARLY DEADLINES FOR NEW DHS SCHOLARSHIP/FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
Applicants for the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) new undergraduate
scholarship must send the department a written notification of their
intention to apply by Wednesday, April 30, 2003. Applications and
transcripts must be postmarked by Monday, May 19, and
references sent by Tuesday, May 27. More information on the programs is
available at: http://www.orau.gov/dhsed/ <http://www.orau.gov/dhsed/> .

This first DHS competition for scholarships and fellowships is for study
beginning fall 2003 in areas of study deemed relevant to the department's
mission such as: "physical, biological, social, and behavioral sciences,
engineering, mathematics, and computer science." DHS materials describe the
awards as providing "competitive stipends and tuition allowances." When the
program is fully operational, it is expected to support up to 100 new
students each year at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.

Contact: [log in to unmask]

6. NEEDED A FEW GOOD PHOTOGRAPHS: Admissions is putting together next year's
Honors brochure for prospective freshmen. We
are looking for a few good photos of honors students studying abroad, being
involved, research with a UF professor etc.
If you have a photo you are willing to share with us, please bring to 140
Tigert. Make sure you give us your name, the occasion of the photo and your
e-mail or phone number. Put in an envelope, marked: Attention, Jeanna. We
will do our best to return photos.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.