Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: HONORS WELCOME EVENTS (SHO)
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:35:17 -0400

WELCOME to NEW STUDENTS AND WELCOME BACK TO VETERANS ! Please find below a
message from John Boyles, Student Honors Organization President, outlining
Week ONE events (August 17-23).  You don't need to live in Hume to
participate in these events.

Apologies to those of you who have graduated and find yourself on this List
Serv. Give me a week or so until the dust settles and then we will get this
sorted out.

Sheila Dickison
Director, Honors Program

Dear Honors Students,
The Student Honors Organization welcomes its new and returning students for
the 2003-2004 school year!
The Student Honors Organization (SHO) provides social, academic, and
community service opportunities for honors students. Throughout the year the
SHO Executive Board provides a number of opportunities for meeting new
people, such as Karaoke nights and Sundaes on Sundays. In addition there are
opportunities for academic and cultural enhancement such as Honors Scholars
series and cultural nights. Also, there will be opportunities to serve the
local community through events such as Hearts for the Holidays and trips to
Habitat for Humanity. Finally, our annual events like Barbecue Blast,
Haunted Hume, and Spring Swing Dance add both variety and tradition to the
honors experience. All honors students are automatically members of the
Student Honors Organization. You are encouraged to attend our events and to
use Honors Residential College facilities whether you live on or off campus!

The week of August 17th begins move-in days to The Residential College at
Hume Hall and the annual Fall Festival for all honors students! The Fall
Festival is a two week series of fun and exciting events that welcome
everyone back to school with tons of fun, excitement, and free food at most
events. This is your first and best opportunity for meeting other honors
students. The schedule for the first week of Fall Festival is located at the
bottom of this message.
The Student Honors Organization also offers leadership opportunities for
honors students. This fall our officers will be appointing eighteen
programming committee members to the Executive Board, and students living at
the Honors Residential College will be electing eighteen floor
representatives. There will be more information coming soon about applying
for a committee position. See your Residential College Adviser (RCA) to run
for a floor representative seat.
Don't forget to check out the Fall Festival schedule below! We look forward
to meeting you!
Sincerely,
John Boyles
2003-2004 President
Student Honors Organization
<http://grove.ufl.edu/~sho>
FALL FESTIVAL OF EVENTS WEEK ONE: AUGUST 17-AUGUST 23
Sunday, August 17
MEET & GREET
8pm-10pm
Hume Commons Lobby (Honors Residential College)
Take a break from unpacking!
SHO Officers available for questions
Snacks and refreshments provided
Monday, August 18
MOVIE NIGHT
10pm-12am
Hume Commons and Classrooms
Come join us for Catch Me If You Can, Adaptation, and Die Another Day!
Bring your roommate down with pillows and blankets!
Movie popcorn, candy, and cookies!
Tuesday, August 20
MIDNIGHT BREAKFAST
11:59pm
Hume Commons
Many of your favorite breakfast foods!
Donuts, Donuts, Donuts!
Wednesday, August 21
SEX, LIES, AND CHOCOLATE
8pm-10pm
Hume Commons
Guys and girls answer each other's questions for a chocolate reward
Refreshments and chocolates provided
Thursday, August 22
TROPICAL LUAU
7pm-9pm
Hume West Lawn
Leis, capture the coconut, Pina Coladas
Tropical snacks and refreshments provided
Friday, August 23
FRIENDS/SIMPSONS PAJAMA PARTY
10pm Hume Classrooms and Commons
Watch your favorite episodes from either show!
Pizza and refreshments!!
Saturday, August 24
BARBECUE BLAST
12:30pm-4pm
West Hume Lawn
Live entertainment by Finding Aquila, Time, and Neptune 66!
Real Sonny's barbecue food, snacks, and refreshments!