Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:17:47 -0400

We have had a variety of problems with the Honors list Serv!  Some of you
who receive this message may no longer be at UF. Please have patience until
we can get the Database right. The Registrar's Office is doing this for me
and they are pretty busy for few days. I trust we will get it right
eventually--this is the fourth try. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Monday, August 25, 2003

Topics:

1.  What should I be doing before the end of drop/add?
2.  Fencing Club
3.  Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship
4.  Oral History Internship Opportunity (Juniors and Seniors)
5.  Industrial Ecology Course
6.  CHM 2047
7.  Intern at the Mathison Museum
8.  Free Honors Planners should be here by Sept. 5, perhaps sooner

Details:

1. WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING BEFORE THE END OF DROP/ADD?  It would be a very
good idea to check  the following information on ISIS at www.isis.ufl.edu:
1) your schedule. Are
you registered for the correct courses and the right number of hours (at
least 12) 2) Make sure none of the times for your classes overlap. And
remember
DROP/ADD ends one minute TO midnight Thursday. So please get your schedule
in order
before then.

2. FENCING CLUB: If you've ever doted on d'Artagnan, swooned over Cyrano, or
told anyone that no, you're not left-handed, the University of Florida
Fencing Club is pleased to invite you to practice this Fall! There will be
an informational meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 2nd at 8pm at the Gate 1 Track of
the O'Connell Center. Novice practice will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays
from 5-7pm at the MAR. If interested but unable to attend the meeting,
please contact us by email or come observe MW/5-7.30pm or F/5-8pm practice
for advanced students at the Florida Gym. We will also be tabling at the
Annual Sports Clubs Expo, Thursday and Friday, August 28 & 29 from 10-2 on
the Reitz North Lawn. En garde!  [log in to unmask]
http://grove.ufl.edu/~fencing/

3. CHI ALPHA CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP welcomes you to the University of Florida
for the 2003-2004 school year!  Chi Alpha is having special events each
evening of the first week of classes to get the year off to a fun and
Christ-centered start.  Chi Alpha (XA- Greek initials for "Christ's
Ambassadors") is not a fraternity/sorority.  Everyone is welcome to
attend. Chi Alpha's Welcome Week Schedule:
Mon., Aug. 25, 7 pm- Reitz Union Room 286: Intro to Chi Alpha  (snacks
provided);
Tues., Aug. 26, 7 pm- Reitz Room 286: Prayer and Sharing;
Wed., Aug. 27, 7pm- Reitz Room 286: Bible Study;
Thurs., Aug. 28, 7 pm- Broward Beach (lawn on the south side of Broward
dorm): Field Nite --Ultimate frisbee and badminton w/ snacks & drinks
provided;
Fri., Aug. 29, 7:15 pm- Reitz 349: Chi Alpha celebrates Jesus! --This
meeting will feature our Praise Band along with a message from the
Bible, time for prayer, and fun stuff like an icebreaker and door
prizes.
Hope you can make it to some or all of our events!  Once the school year
is more underway, Chi Alpha will meet regularly on Fridays at 7:15 p.m.
in the Reitz Union, room 349.  Please visit
http://grove.ufl.edu/~chialpha <http://grove.ufl.edu/~chialpha>  for
more information.

4. PROCTOR ORAL HISTORY INTERNSHIP: 1. There will be ONE internship
available in fall semester. 2.  Preference would be for juniors or seniors
in the Honors Program who have a specific project in mind or who want to
develop their skills in oral history. (Great opportunity for a history or
journalism major.) 3.  The student selected for the internship would earn 3
hours under the IDH 4940 rubric and the final grade will be S-U. 4. The
student would be required to:
   1.Work approximately eight hours per week (a flexible schedule is
acceptable) and assist the program with research, editing, and working on
the catalog.
   2. Read appropriate literature about how to do oral history.
   3. Conduct at least two interviews of the student's choice, and then
transcribe, audit-edit and do a final edit on each interview.
   4. Write a formal paper/critique of the student's experiences.
   5. All written work will be evaluated by the Director of the Oral History
Program.

In exchange for working in the oral history office, we will teach the intern
about how the program operates, the intricacies in conducting an interview,
the skill of transcribing and audit-editing and in general, the importance
of oral history.  We believe that the experience would be beneficial for any
student and the acquired skills would assist them in their graduate work or
in their chosen profession.  This internship is a rare opportunity to learn
about one of the fastest growing disciplines in academia. Contact Dr. Julian
M. Pleasants, 4103 Turlington Hall, UF. 392-7168 [log in to unmask]

5. INTERESTING ECOLOGY COURSE (Industrial Ecology) FOR UPPER DIVISION
STUDENTS: Dr.
Joe Delphino from the Department of Environmental Engineering says he would
welcome some
upper division honors students in his class, ENV 4932 (6036) MWF 4th period
Rm. 213 Black Hall.
Theme of this new course is linking industrial activity with environmental
sciences: corporate environmental ethics; relevance of biological ecology to
technology; life-cycle assessment; earth systems engineering and management
etc.
For further info contact Dr. Delphino at 392-9377 or [log in to unmask]

6. CHM 2047: Looking for a chance to get ahead in your chemistry curriculum?
CHM2047 allows bright and dedicated students to complete the requirements of
General Chemistry I & II in a single semester. The course moves rapidly and
students are expected to work outside of the class. The payoffs are very
real, though: access to exciting laboratory techniques not covered in
General Chemistry I & II, exposure to advanced topics that prepare you for
future chemistry courses, and a chance to meet other intelligent students
interested in chemistry. It is not too late to talk to an Honors advisor and
get into this course!  Students who have done AP or IB Chemistry do best in
this very fast paced course.
7. INTERN AT THE MATHESON MUSEUM:  The Alachua County Historic Trust:
Matheson Museum, Inc. is Alachua County's headquarters for history. Located
next to the downtown public library at 513 E. University Ave., the museum
includes an exhibit hall, library, archive of articles and photographs, and
a "Walk Through History" exhibit in Sweetwater Park. The museum is always
looking for volunteers from all majors and minors in positions such as the
following: docent, bookkeeper, educational programs assistant, gift shop
manager, library assistant, newsletter coordinator, oral history
interviewer, photo archivist, programs assistant, public relations
assistant, E-Bay coordinator and receptionist. Find out more about the
museum at www.mathesonmuseum.org <http://www.mathesonmuseum.org>, or call
(352) 378-2280. (You can get credit through the Honors Program for an
internship. 45 hours of internship = 1 credit etc. Get the paperwork in our
office; you also need to get a signature from the supervisor at the museum
before we can add you to the IDH 4940 internship credit number.)

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519