Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List (Wednesday)
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:35:29 -0400

We are up and running but there are some folks on the List who have
graduated etc. Patience! It will be early next week before we will be able
to remove you--it is just too hectic right now to be able to help. In the
meantime just hit the delete key. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Topics:

1.  Women in Pre Pharmacy Meeting
2.  Honors Peer Networking Program
3.  Honors Football Bloc
4.  GatorFest (Thursday evening)
5.  Fulbright Info Session this PM
6.  Intern at the Mathison Museum
7.  Volunteeer Fair
8.  Free Honors Planners should be here by Sept. 5, perhaps sooner

Details:

1. WOMEN IN PREPHARMACY MEETING: Kappa Epsilon is a national, professional
fraternity that promotes women in pharmacy. We strive to achieve academic
excellence, to foster professional awareness, and to provide lasting
loyalty, interests and friendships. The Kappa Chapter at the University of
Florida was the first women's organization established on the UF campus. KE
offers many services to the college, university, and the Gainesville
community. On a national level Kappa Epsilon's main service focus is
promoting breast cancer awareness. We also participate in activities with
other pharmacy organizations. We are very proud of our accomplishments and
consider ourselves to be one of the most prominent organizations at the
Health Science Center.
We would like to invite all interested prePharmacy members to attend our
annual Kappaccino this Thursday night August 28th at 7pm. Enjoy tasty
desserts, our famous Kappaccino, and meet current pharmacy and prepharmacy
students. Directions follow: From school:  Take University towards the mall
until you reach NW 43rd St (at the top of the little hill...there's a stop
light) Turn right to go North. You will pass a Publix Plaza on the rt, then
Thornebrook Village, also on the right. Continue North until you pass NW
39th Ave (Urgent Care Center on far right corner) You should be in the left
lane. A small sign on the left says Bellamy Forge...that's the entrance.
Once you get in, you'll see a stop sign and will have to turn left or
right...turn left and drive all the way around to the back. You can park in
front of the clubhouse, along the fence, and in spaces that are NOT directly
in front of entrances to the condos. We'll be waiting! Rochelle Farb, New
Member Educator, [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
2. HONORS FOOTBALL BLOC: For all of you who were lucky enough to get season
tickets, SHO wants to make the football season a little easier on you. We
have set up an Honors football bloc. When you scan into the Honors football
bloc, you receive a variety of benefits. For one, for each game of the
season you will be guaranteed a seat in the Honors bloc, meaning that you'll
be sitting with your Honors peers! Also, instead of having to wait in line
at the stadium to pick up your tickets, you can pick them up in the Hume
lobby during certain hours (probably 10:30M-12:30PM) on the Friday before
the game. Plus, the Honors bloc chairperson (Katie Croswell) lives in Hume,
so if you need to arrange a special pick up time it will be very convenient.
(If you ever can't pick up your tickets during lobby times, email
[log in to unmask], subject line "Honors Bloc tickets") All in all, the Honors
bloc is a quick and painless way to enjoy the football season and not wait
in long lines. The Honors bloc is open to both Honors students and friends
of Honors students, so don't hesitate to include your friends!
How to get into the Honors Bloc: Bring your Gator 1 ID to Gate 13 of the Ben
Hill Griffin Stadium between now and Friday August 22nd between the hours of
8AM-5PM. Tell the person at the window that you want to scan into the Honors
bloc, SHO bloc, or Student Honors Organization bloc. The three letter code
for our bloc is SHO. They should take care of the rest! If for some reason
you can't get to the stadium before Friday, e-mail [log in to unmask] You'll
need to give Katie Croswell, the bloc chairperson, your ID and she'll have
to scan it into the bloc on Monday. Make sure to get that ID to Katie before
Monday! Throughout the season you can add or delete people from the Honors
bloc, as long as Katie knows about it before the Monday before the game in
question. If you're interested, don't delay and get scanned into the Honors
Bloc. Hope to see you all out there! Go Gators!
3. HONORS PEER-NETWORKING PROGRAM: Honors Ambassadors would like to invite
you to participate in our Fall 2003 Honors Navigators Program. In case you
are unclear about what our program is about, we are a peer-networking
program designed to assist in academic and social adjustment to UF.
Basically, we are here to welcome you to the Honors family and to provide
you with about 50 student Navigators that are not only instant friends but
also great resources. You will be paired directly with 3 Navigators and a
small group of other incoming Honors freshmen. Here are our upcoming events:
Honors Navigators Field Day: Monday, September 1st (2 pm-4pm) Remember the
good ole' days of Elementary School kickball? We are bringing it back-come
out for some fun games and free food. Navigators Closing Event: Friday
September 12th: (Early evening, exact time TBA) We will meet for dinner then
head to see a mentalist brought to UF by Student Government
You can sign-up or just come out. Email [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, or [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with questions or sign-ups.

4.  GATORFEST:  Pep rally and free concert:  Thursday, August 28 at 7 pm,
O'Connell Center.  Don't be a bystander! Kick the year off in true Gator
style and start living the Florida Gator tradition. The Alma Mater, "We
are the boys" and the fight song, Albert and Alberta, the Dazzlers and UF
coaches and athletes. Experience what being a Florida Gator is all about.
Pep rally followed directly by a FREE concert (UF ID required) sponsored
by Student Government Productions featuring SLIGHTLY STOOPID. For a
complete WOW! (Weeks of Welcome)  calendar of events, visit
http://www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/wow/calendar.html.

5.  FULBRIGHT INFORMATION SESSION (Seniors): There will be an orientation
session in room 219 Dauer Hall (The Ruth
McQuown Room) on Wednesday, August 27 at 3 pm (8th period) to discuss
successful grant strategies for the Fulbright Program.  If you have
previously attended an information session about the Fulbright, you do not
need to attend this session.

UF students have the opportunity to win a Fulbright award to any of over 140
different countries.  The awards are for graduate research at the MA and
Ph.D. level, as well as for GRADUATING SENIORS.  The awards fund research
and study for up to a year in a different country.  Awards cover
international travel, maintenance, research allowance, and tuition waivers,
if applicable.  Students in any field, including business, journalism,
engineering, and arts and sciences can apply.

Applicants for a Fulbright award must be U.S. citizens, have an outstanding
GPA, have a record of community service, and be interested in international
scholarship.   The Fulbright application deadline at UF is October 6, 2003
to 140 Tigert Hall, so work on the application should begin immediately.

Applicants should go to <http://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/usa>.
Applicants must complete
a "Notification" to inform their Fulbright advisor, Dr. Allan Burns, that
they have started the process.

The Fulbright website has more information at www.iie.org/fulbright
<http://www.iie.org/fulbright>.  For the 2003-2004 academic year, there were
59 applicants from the University of Florida, and 10 students were offered
the Fulbright grant.  For more information about the UF application process,
contact Jeanna Mastrodicasa at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
Dr. Burns may be reached at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

6. INTERN AT THE MATHESON MUSEUM:  The Alachua County Historic Trust:
Matheson Museum, Inc. is Alachua County's headquarters for history. Located
next to the downtown public library at 513 E. University Ave., the museum
includes an exhibit hall, library, archive of articles and photographs, and
a "Walk Through History" exhibit in Sweetwater Park. The museum is always
looking for volunteers from all majors and minors in positions such as the
following: docent, bookkeeper, educational programs assistant, gift shop
manager, library assistant, newsletter coordinator, oral history
interviewer, photo archivist, programs assistant, public relations
assistant, E-Bay coordinator and receptionist. Find out more about the
museum at www.mathesonmuseum.org <http://www.mathesonmuseum.org>, or call
(352) 378-2280. (You can get credit through the Honors Program for an
internship. 45 hours of internship = 1 credit etc. Get the paperwork in our
office; you also need to get a signature from the supervisor at the museum
before we can add you to the IDH 4940 internship credit number.)
7.   VOLUNTEER FAIR: The Office of Community Service at UF will be hosting a
Volunteer Organization Fair at the Reitz Union Colonnade on Tuesday, Sept. 2
from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The fair will host more than 40 campus and community
partners who are seeking volunteers and interns for non-profit endeavors.
Agencies will feature volunteer opportunities covering many different areas
of interest, including hunger, homelessness, education, elderly, environment
and much more. Come to the Volunteer Organization Fair and see how you can
help change the world!

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519