Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List (Friday)
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:03:35 -0400

If you have already graduated, patience! It will be early next week before
we will be able to remove you from the List--it is just too hectic right now
to be able to help. In the meantime just hit the delete key.
If you would like to post to the List for your organization, e-mail me
several days ahead. Put the event name and date in the subject line. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Friday, August 29, 2003

Topics:

1.  UF Speech and Debate Team Open House
2.  Freshman Leadership Council
3.  Entrepreneurs Club
4.  Campus Christians Fall Kickoff Party
5.  Gator Greens Meeting
6.  Fencing Club
7.  Friends for Life of America (web address correction)
8.  Volunteer Fair
9.  Free New York Times
10. Free Honors Planners should be here by Sept. 5, perhaps sooner

Details:

1. UF SPEECH AND DEBATE TEAM OPEN HOUSE: Do you love speaking in public?
The nationally competitive UF Speech and Debate Team will be holding
its annual open house this Tuesday, September 2, 2003 from 5-7 pm in
Rolfs Hall 211.  Come meet our members and learn how to become a part
of a proud Gator tradition.  For more information contact the team
president Wilbert Vancol at [log in to unmask] or Director of Forensics
Kellie Roberts at [log in to unmask]   Additional news is also
posted periodically on the team web-site located at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~debate/.  Funded by UF Student Government

2. FRESHMAN LEADERSHIP COUNCIL: The Freshman Leadership Council is seeking
highly motivated freshmen with leadership potential who are looking to get
involved right away on the University of Florida.  The Freshman Leadership
Cabinet in SG has started this program to give freshman an option for
involvement in the Fall instead of having to wait for involvement
opportunities in the spring.  The student selected will be introduced to the
University of Florida community as well as the city of Gainesville and
Alachua County.  Sessions will include, but are not limited to "How SG
works," "Leadership Theory and Practice," and "Leadership Communication."
If you are interested, you may pick up an application in the Student
Government office in room 305 of the Reitz union, or go to the "downloads"
section of the website as www.sg.ufl.edu and download an application.
Applications are due by September 8, 2003 and students are required to sign
up for an interview when turning in an application.  Questions? Contact us
at [log in to unmask]

This looks like a great way to get involved!

3. ENTREPRENEURS CLUB every Wednesday in NEB 102 @ 6:00 PM.
Do you have a big business idea? Find out how you can win $5,000
in our Business Idea Competition!Come hear Sidd Pagidipati speak on how he
raised $30 million for
his newest venture in India!

4. CAMPUS CHRISTIANS FALL KICKOFF PARTY TONIGHT: Is college too big?  Too
small?  Just right?  Come meet a group
who knows you are more than a UFID number and a resume!  Come to the Fall
Kickoff Party of the Campus Christians in our campus room at 2720 SW 2nd Ave
(across from the UF Golf Course) tonight (Friday 29th).  It starts
Friday at 7 PM.  Get to know us over some food and foosball.  Everyone is
welcome! For more information call Kevin at 352-378-1471 or just check it
out!

5. GATOR GREENS FIRST MEETING is having its first meeting of the year!  We
are a progressive
group that promotes Green values on campus by running informational
campaigns, bringing speakers, and volunteering.  Our first meeting is
Tuesday Sept 2, at 6:30 PM in Room 273 of the Reitz Union.  Everyone is
welcome!
6. FENCING CLUB: If you've ever doted on d'Artagnan, swooned over Cyrano, or
told anyone that no, you're not left-handed, the University of Florida
Fencing Club is pleased to invite you to practice this Fall! There will be
an informational meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 2nd at 8pm at the Gate 1 Track of
the O'Connell Center. Novice practice will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays
from 5-7pm at the MAR. If interested but unable to attend the meeting,
please contact us by email or come observe MW/5-7.30pm or F/5-8pm practice
for advanced students at the Florida Gym. http://grove.ufl.edu/~fencing/
7. FRIENDS FOR LIFE FIRST GENERAL MEETING:  Please note the web address
below is now correct. Dear Friends, Welcome new and returning gators. If you
haven't heard of Friends for Life before, we are a national student
organization dedicated to improving the lives of pediatric cancer patients.
Last year, our programs ranged from making more than 10,000 holiday cards
for children in 45 hospitals across the nation, painting/playing games with
children in Shands pediatric Oncology Department, to sending hats/teddy
bears to children in hospitals from Barbados to Kenya. Please join us at our
first fall meeting Thursday, September 4 at 7:30pm in the room 346 of the
Reitz Union. For more information please visit our website at
http://www.friendsforlife.com/uf (This organization was founded by a UF
Honors student. It is now a national organization.)
8. VOLUNTEER FAIR: The Office of Community Service at UF will be hosting a
Volunteer Organization Fair at the Reitz Union Colonnade on Tuesday, Sept. 2
from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The fair will host more than 40 campus and community
partners who are seeking volunteers and interns for non-profit endeavors.
Agencies will feature volunteer opportunities covering many different areas
of interest, including hunger, homelessness, education, elderly, environment
and much more. Come to the Volunteer Organization Fair and see how you can
help change the world!
9.  FREE NEW YORK TIMES: We have a small number of copies of the New York
Times every week in the lobby outside our office in 140 Tigert that you are
welcome to pick up.  Reading the NYT is esp. important for those planning to
apply for a prestigious scholarship to help keep on top of issues in the
world.  There are also some copies in Hume. There should be one copy per
common room (or you can find them down stairs in the lobby.).

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519