Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:28:03 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Topics:

1. UF in Barcelona (spring break)
2. We Need Help with the Honors Event Planner
3. Undergraduate Research Opportunity (Psychology etc.)
4. Dessert Night: French Night (SHO)
5. Junior Honors Medical Program Information Session
6. Pre Med AMSA
7. The Entrepreneur's Club

Details:

1. A NEW STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITY: UF IN BARCELONA
Spring Break 2003 (March 8-16)

Catalonia: Center and Periphery
CAT 4956** / SPN 4956*
(1 credit )

***** INFORMATION MEETING: Wednesday, January 15, 4 PM. Dauer 240-A ******

Travel to Catalonia and its capitol, Barcelona, and get to know one of the
oldest and most vital cultures in Europe.

Projected visits and topics:

- Lectures by local experts on the history and culture of Catalonia
- Guided tour of 12th and 13th century Barcelona
- Romanesque and Gothic Art
- The architecture of Antoni Gaudí, the Picasso Museum
- Fishing village on the Costa Brava
- Traditional open air market in Vic
- Catalan cuisine in local restaurants
- Politics and the relationship between Catalonia and Spain, in the
framework of the European Union
- Immigration and integration in contemporary Catalonia
- Optional F.C. Barcelona soccer game

*To sign up for SPN 4956, students must have completed SPN 3300
or SPN 3350 or its equivalent. SPN 4956 counts toward the
Spanish major or minor.
** Students without the SPN prerequisite will sign up for CAT 4956,
which does not count toward the Spanish major.  All lectures
and readings will be in English or translation will be provided.

Led by Geraldine Nichols, Prof. of Spanish at UF, and Antoni Castells,
Catalan instructor

Approximate cost (incl. housing, some meals, museum fees, transportation
in Catalonia, UFIC fees): $1000>Not included: tuition (c. $85) and roundtrip
airfare to Barcelona (c. $750)

2. WE NEED HELP WITH THE HONORS PLANNER: We've started preparing the Honors
Event Planner for next year and we need suggestions from you, the people who
use them everyday. If you have any suggestions as to what we could add (or
take out, for that matter), we'd really like to hear from you!

Additionally, we're always looking for new "student quotes" to put in the
planner. If you'd like to answer the question of "what advice would you give

to a new Honors freshmen," please do so! We may just put it in the planner
with your name and major attached to it. Please contact Ashley Richardson at
[log in to unmask] with any of your comments.

3. UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY: This project is an extremely exciting
opportunity to become involved in groundbreaking research, as well as, being
a part of an excellent research team.  Dr. Tucker strives to ensure that all
of her research assistants learn skills for conducting research, and she
enjoys working with undergraduates who are willing to contribute to our
team.  There are many positions available on the team for excellent,
motivated students.
Potential research assistants are selected through a pre-application and
interview process.This project is federally funded by the National Institute
of Health and is designed to isolate the specific behaviors health care
practitioners exhibit that make their patients feel they are sensitive to
their culture.  The project also focuses on the health care facility and how
well its physical dimensions convey cultural sensitivity to patients.  The
long term objective of the proposed research is to identify and evaluate
easily replicated cost effective, and time efficient intervention and
assessment instruments for improving the cultural sensitivity of primary
care clinic physicians, clinic staff, and medical students.
If you are interested in this research project please contact Dr. Tucker's
research lab at 392-0601 X 260 or e-mail her directly at [log in to unmask]
Please be cognizant of the requirements for being a research assistant on
our team, and take them into consideration when deciding if this is the
right opportunity for you.  The requirements are as follows: Evidence of
consistent academic excellence 2-Semester commitment    3-Registration for 2
credits of PSY 3912 per semester 4-A research participation application

(You can add a course after the semester has started--as long as you aren't
dropping one.SKD).

4. DESSERT NIGHT SERIES: FRENCH NIGHT (SHO)
LOTS of delicious french desserts and drinks
Tuesday 01/14/03 at Hume Commons from 7:59- 8:59 pm
Allez!

5. JUNIOR HONORS MEDICAL PROGRAM INFO SESSION:  JUNIOR HONORS MEDICAL
PROGRAM 2003 INFO SESSION: Wednesday, January 15,2003, 5:00 PM; Room C-1-7,
Health Science Communicore Lecture room. Meet the Program Director,
currently enrolled students and the Chair of the Medical Selection
committee. Applications will be available at the session.
Questions, contact the College of Medicine Office of Admissions, 392-4569.

(It would be a good idea even for freshmen interested in this very
competitive program to get info about it. Each year JHM selects 12 students
for admission as juniors. SKD)

6. PREMED AMSA: PREMED AMSA:  Pre-Med AMSA will be accepting applications
for
 membership for the spring semester. Applications will be accepted from
 January 6th, to Monday January 20th at Midnight. Only NON-MEMBERS need to
 complete the application which can be found at <http://www.ufpremed.org> or
 in the AMSA office on the third floor of the Reitz Union.

7. THE ENTREPRENEUR'S CLUB will be having our first meeting of 2003 this
upcoming
Wednesday (Jan. 15) at 6PM in NEB 102 (New Engineering Building). Being the
first meeting of year, we have spared no expense in assuring that this will
be your best spent hour of the week. Below is a peek into our planned agenda

for the meeting. So enjoy and let us take care of all your entrepreneurial
needs this semester.

1. TEC Introduction, brief overview into the semester's planned events,
officer's introduction.

2. Disbursement of prize money $5,000 to our Business Idea Competition
winners (BlingRings.com, E-lottery, and Flashwords)

3. We were extremely fortunate to bag Sidd Pagidipati as our guest of honor
speaker to help us usher in the new year. The guy raised over $25 million in

venture financing to launch his New York City-based company at the age of
24...now that is money. Below is his biography.

4. Food and drinks, socialize, network

Bring a friend, you don't want to miss this one.

Sincerely,

Juan Sanchez & Jonas Brandon, TEC Presidents
http://grove.ufl.edu/~tec/

"The $25 Million Education"

Sidd Pagidipati - CEO:

Sidd graduated magna cum laude and phi beta kappa from Georgetown
University with a degree in Economics and International Relations.
While at Georgetown, he was actively involved on campus and was the
student body president for the School of Foreign Service.

After school, Sidd worked as an investment banker at Merrill Lynch and
DLJ where his expertise included debt and equity financings for
Internet service, online content, and bandwidth infrastructure providers
including AOL-Digital Cities, Nextel, and PSINet.  He was one of the
leading experts on Wall Street on the Indian software and technology
space.

Tired of the corporate life, Sidd co-founded Simile Software (formerly
nano.com) where he was the VP of Operations, VP of Marketing and on the
Board of Directors.  At Simile, Sidd helped raise over $25 million in
venture capital funding to build the company to 50+ employees before a
competing firm acquired it.

Sidd is now focusing on building Anion Technologies (which he co-founded
with his brother Rahul), a software research & development company with
headquarters here in Tampa and a technology center in India.  His vision is
to harness the low-cost infrastructure and intellectual capital in India to
develop products to sell to the global
marketplace.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)
and put the name of the event in the subject line.