Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List (Tuesday 09-02-03)
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:23:32 -0400

If you have already graduated, patience! We are working on removing you from
the List. In the meantime just hit the delete key.
If you would like to post to the List for your organization, e-mail me
several days ahead. Put the event name and date in the subject line. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, September 2,2003

Topics:

1.  Undergraduate Women in Science
2.  Mentor/Mentee Information Forum (TODAY)
3.  A Cappella Auditions
4.  Ready for a Real Adventure?: TRip (TODAY)
5.  Entrepreneurs Club
6.  Speech and Debate Team Open House (TODAY)
7.  Dance Marathon Captains
8.  Gator Greens Meeting (TODAY)
9.  Florida Crew Opportunity
10. Volunteer Fair (TODAY)
11. Free New York Times
12. Free Honors Planners should be here by Sept. 5, perhaps sooner

Details:

1. UNDERGRADUATE WOMEN IN SCIENCE: Anyone interested in science?  Want
to get more involved?  Come see what we're all about.  UWIS is a
social organization of women science majors whose primary focus is
to encourage women and girls to stay in the sciences.  Some of our
past events include a Zoom Day science event with local Brownie
troops and the Women in Science Symposium, as well as numerous
social events throughout the year.  We want you to get to know
other women in science which can help with classes and tutoring.
If you're interested come join us Thursday September 4 at 6pm in
LEI 309.  We'll be discussing upcoming events and having fun!
Hope to see you there!  Contact Stacie at [log in to unmask] if you
have further questions.

2. MENTOR/MENTEE INFORMATION FORUM: Tuesday, September 2 at 7:00 PM in the
Reitz Union Auditorium. This program is designed to help freshmen ease their
transition to UF. Mentor groups are formed from 2 upperclassmen mentors and
4-10 freshmen mentees. These groups participate in various activities
throughout the fall to help freshmen mentees to meet each other and
prominent campus leaders, to inform mentees about the various organizations
on UF's campus, and to help mentees gain the skills and contacts necessary
for them to become involved at UF. To sign up come to the info forum on
Tuesday night at 7:00. Activities start Sunday Sept 7 with a ropes course.
Questions? Email Jenn at [log in to unmask]

3. A CAPPELLA AUDITIONS!:  Do you LOVE to sing?  UF's Premiere A Cappella
Group, "No Southern
Accent," is holding auditions for new members:  Monday, September
8 at 8:30 PM in the Music Building.  Any and all singers are
welcome - no preparation necessary!  Questions? Need more info?
Check out our website at www.nosouthernaccent.org or email us at

4. READY FOR A REAL ADVENTURE?  Take a TRiP!  REGISTER for fall TRiPs this
Tuesday, September 2 at the Outfitter.  TRiP is an outdoor adventure program
leading students into the wilderness on backpacking, canoeing, rock climbing
and many other kinds of trips.  Stop by the Outfitter on the ground floor of
the Reitz Union and check out our many exciting adventures!  This is a great
way for you to take a break from studying, get outside and meet some amazing
new friends.  For more information, visit our website at:
www.union.ufl.edu/trip.  (Honors students have really enjoyed the activities
this organization has sponsored over the years.)

5.ENTREPRENEURS CLUB every Wednesday in NEB (New Engineering Building) 102 @
6:00 PM.
Do you have a big business idea? Find out how you can win $5,000
in our Business Idea Competition!Come hear Sidd Pagidipati speak on how he
raised $30 million for
his newest venture in India!

6. SPEECH AND DEBATE TEAM OPEN HOUSE:  SPEECH AND DEBATE TEAM OPEN HOUSE: Do
you love speaking in public?
The nationally competitive UF Speech and Debate Team will be holding its
annual open house this Tuesday, September 2, 2003 from 5-7 pm in Rolfs Hall
211.  Come meet our members and learn how to become a part
of a proud Gator tradition.  For more information contact the team
president Wilbert Vancol at [log in to unmask] or Director of Forensics
Kellie Roberts at [log in to unmask]   Additional news is also
posted periodically on the team web-site located at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~debate/.

7. DANCE MARATHON CAPTAINS: Are you an energetic, motivated and responsible
individual? Well, then Dance Marathon wants you!!! Dance Marathon is
currently accepting applications for Captain positions for Dance Marathon
2004. Captains are needed in the areas of Catering, Community Events, Dancer
Relations, Entertainment, Family Relations, Finance, Marketing, Morale,
Operations and Public Relations. Applications are available online at
www.floridadm.org <http://www.floridadm.org/> or in the Dance Marathon
office, room 310F of the Reitz Union. Applications are due September 12,
2003 to the Dance Marathon office, along with a $10 check made payable to
Children's Miracle Network. No experience is necessary, so come be a part of
the largest student-run philanthropy

8. GATOR GREENS FIRST MEETING is having its first meeting of the year!  We
are a progressive
group that promotes Green values on campus by running informational
campaigns, bringing speakers, and volunteering.  Our first meeting is
Tuesday Sept 2, at 6:30 PM in Room 273 of the Reitz Union.  Everyone is
welcome!

9. FLORIDA CREW OPPORTUNITY: the Florida Crew team is looking for new
members as the season is
about to get started.  Whether you are an experienced rower or not, Florida
Crew is holding an
information meeting for those interested on September 8th and 9th in the
Reitz Union room #349
at 7:00.  Florida Crew is a great sport if you are interested in getting in
shape, meeting a great group of people, and becoming involved in a
university club.  Bring a friend and find out what Florida Crew has to
offer.

10. VOLUNTEER FAIR: The Office of Community Service at UF will be hosting a
Volunteer Organization Fair at the Reitz Union Colonnade TODAY, Tuesday,
Sept. 2 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The fair will host more than 40 campus and
community partners who are seeking volunteers and interns for non-profit
endeavors. Agencies will feature volunteer opportunities covering many
different areas of interest, including hunger, homelessness, education,
elderly, environment and much more. Come to the Volunteer Organization Fair
and see how you can help change the world!
11.  FREE NEW YORK TIMES: We have a small number of copies of the New York
Times every week in the lobby outside our office in 140 Tigert that you are
welcome to pick up.  Reading the NYT is esp. important for those planning to
apply for a prestigious scholarship to help keep on top of issues in the
world.  There are also some copies in Hume. There should be one copy per
common room (or you can find them down stairs in the lobby.).

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519