Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List (Wednesday 09/03/03)
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:21:40 -0400

If you would like to post to the List for your organization, e-mail me
several days ahead. It is important to put the event name and date in the
subject line. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, September 3,2003

Topics:

1. Interested in Becoming a Pharmacist? (TODAY)
2. Gator Humanics (TODAY)
3. DIS (Decision and Information Sciences) Society
4. Friends for Life of America Meeting
5. Volunteer Gateway
6. Pre-Professional Service Organization (Pre Med, Pre Health etc.)
7. Dance Marathon Captains
8. Student Reading Council
9. Habitat for Humanity Meeting (TODAY)
10. Pre-Med, Pre-Vet, Pre-Dent, Pre Health (Alpha Epsilon Delta)
11. Free New York Times
12. Free Honors Planners should be here by Friday, Sept. 5.

Details:

1. INTERESTED IN BECOMING A PHARMACIST? The PrePharmacy Society at UF can
help to get you there. We are a brand new club at UF specifically for
PrePharmacy students. We will be discussing many important upcoming ideas
and positions will be available. If you are interested, our first General
Meeting will be held today (Wednesday the 3rd) at 6 pm in room G103 of the
Health Professions, Nursing, and Pharmacy (HPNP) building. The HPNP building
is the new building adjacent to Shands Hospital. If additional directions or
questions are needed, please email [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
2. GATOR HUMANICS: Are you interested in a career with non-profit public
benefit corporations or youth and human service agencies? Well, come join
Gator Humanics to make a difference in the care and development of our
society. Gator Humanics is a brand new student organization on campus that
collaborates with community agencies to prepare students with tools to
achieve success in non-profit management. The skills you will learn and the
experiences you will acquire are guaranteed to give you the competitive
advantage to secure your dream job. So, come see what we are all about at
our informational forum! It will be held this Wednesday, September 3rd at
7pm in the Reitz Union. The room is located in the Career Resource Center on
the First Floor in the back of the Union. Go through the glass doors of the
CRC and it is down the hall on the right- follow the signs! Who said that
preparing for the work-force wouldn't be fun and rewarding? Come out and
learn how you can make a difference! For further information or questions
email [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or call
392-1655 ext. 226! You can also learn more at
<http://www.union.ufl.edu/gatorhumanics/>.
3. DIS SOCIETY is welcoming new and returning members! Come join us at our
first meeting on Thursday September 4 featuring a Resume Workshop and Career
Showcase preparation. Also learn about our pre-Showcase mixer, onsite trip,
presentations by high-caliber companies, valuable leadership and networking
opportunities, and much more! The location is not yet determined but will be
posted on our website at www.dissociety.org <http://www.dissociety.org>. For
more information contact Laura at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
4. FRIENDS FOR LIFE OF AMERICA:  Friends for Life is ready to continue on
with the incredible success we had last year. We have several new programs
planned and are very excited to get the semester underway. Our first meeting
will be Thursday, September 4 at 7:30pm in room 346 of the Reitz Union.
There will be lots of information about the upcoming Childhood Cancer
Awareness Week, and FFL in general. If you are a new member please introduce
yourself to one the executive board members, so we can tell you all about
Friends for Life. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to send me
an email at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

5. VOLUNTEER GATEWAY: No need to go through the phonebook or look up several
Web sites to
find a place to do community service.  Whether it's for class credit,
scholarships or for the love of doing service, students can find several
volunteer opportunities under one Web site. Volunteer Gateway, developed by
the Volunteer Center of Alachua
County and UF's Office of Community Service, allows students to quickly and
easily sign up for on and off campus organizations that need volunteers.
Visit www.volunteergateway.org <http://www.volunteergateway.org> today!

6. PRE-PROFESSIONAL SERVICE ORGANIZATION (PSO)is recruiting students to join
our organization
if they are interested in dental, medical, or vet school.  Students
interested in all
other health-related professions are also welcome.  Applications
can be downloaded from our website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~pso,
or can be picked up in our office (Room 314 on the 3rd floor of
the Reitz Union).  Applications are due this Friday, September 5,
and interviews begin next Monday.

7.  DANCE MARATHON CAPTAINS: Are you an energetic, motivated and responsible
individual? Well, then Dance Marathon wants you!!! Dance Marathon is
currently accepting applications for Captain positions for Dance Marathon
2004. Captains are needed in the areas of Catering, Community Events, Dancer
Relations, Entertainment, Family Relations, Finance, Marketing, Morale,
Operations and Public Relations. Applications are available online at
www.floridadm.org <http://www.floridadm.org/> or in the Dance Marathon
office, room 310F of the Reitz Union. Applications are due September 12,
2003 to the Dance Marathon office, along with a $10 check made payable to
Children's Miracle Network. No experience is necessary, so come be a part of
the largest student-run philanthropy.
8. STUDENT READING COUNCIL: Want to Get Involved?  The Student Reading
Council is having an
Informational Session for new members on Thursday September 4th at 7pm in
Room #260 of Norman Hall.  Anyone is welcome to come out to get involved.
Membership is free!!!! For more information go to
http://www.coe.ufl.edu/SRC/home.html or email

9. HABITAT FOR HUMANITY MEETING: UF Habitat For Humanity will hold it's
first meeting of the semester on Wednesday, September 3 at 7:00pm in Reitz
Union Room 287. Come by to learn about Habitat for Humanity and the exciting
projects we have planned, such as new builds and our annual Hustle for
Humanity roadrace. Everyone is welcome!

10. PRE-MED? PRE-VET? PRE-DENT? PRE-HEALTH??!! Alpha Epsilon Delta is one of
U.F's most respected organizations on campus and most renowned chapters in
the U.S. We are a pre-professional honor society dedicated to providing
unique community service opportunities and guidance throughout the
undergraduate process. Requirements: G.P.A- 3.0, 2 semesters college
experience. Pick up an application Reitz Union. Rm. 327 (Due Sept 12) or
contact [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> ; [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Visit <http://grove.ufl.edu/~aed>
11.  FREE NEW YORK TIMES: We have a small number of copies of the New York
Times every week in the lobby outside our office in 140 Tigert that you are
welcome to pick up.  Reading the NYT is esp. important for those planning to
apply for a prestigious scholarship to help keep on top of issues in the
world.  There are also some copies in Hume. There should be one copy per
common room (or you can find them down stairs in the lobby.).

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519