Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List Thursday 9-4-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:02:31 -0400

If you would like to post to the List for your organization, e-mail me
several days ahead. It is important to put the event name and date in the
subject line. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Thursday, September 4,2003

Topics:

1. CHAMPS: Mentors in Public Schools
2. Liberal Arts and Sciences Majors: College Committees
3. DIS (Decision and Information Sciences) Society (TODAY)
4. Friends for Life of America Meeting (TODAY)
5. Co-Ed Service Fraternity RUSH
6. Be a Preview Staffer 2004
7. Swing Dance Club
8. Volunteer Gateway
9. Pre-Professional Service Organization (Pre Med, Pre Health etc.)
10. Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Med, Pre-Vet, Pre-Dent, Pre Health)
11. Free New York Times
12. Free Honors Planners should be here by Friday, Sept. 5--will let you
know tomorrow, if they have arrived.

Details:

1. CHAMPS: Collegiates Helping as Mentors in Public Schools: Please consider
sharing one hour a week this semester with a child in an area elementary or
middle school who needs a special friend. Orientation sessions and sign-up
for new volunteers interested in participating will be held as follows
(choose one session): Thursday Sept. 4 from 7:00-8:00 pm, Room 349 Reitz
Union or Wednesday September 10 from 8:00-9:00 PM in Rooms 346-7 Reitz
Union.  Partners in Education (955-6900). Former CHAMPS may call to sign up
by Sept. 17. (Honors students have really enjoyed doing this volunteer
activity in the past.)
2. LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES MAJORS: COLLEGE COMMITTEES. Have a say in the
policy of your college! The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has a
college assembly and four committees on which students may serve:
Curriculum, Undergraduate, Steering, and Commencement. Appointments will be
made by CLASSC, the college's Student Council. Download an application with
more information at the CLASSC website, <http://grove.ufl.edu/~classc>.
Applications are due by 4:30 pm Friday 9/5 in 119 AAC. (This is a terrific
opportunity for those who have been at UF for awhile to get involved with
these faculty committees.
3. DIS SOCIETY is welcoming new and returning members! Come join us at our
first meeting on Thursday September 4 featuring a Resume Workshop and Career
Showcase preparation. Also learn about our pre-Showcase mixer, onsite trip,
presentations by high-caliber companies, valuable leadership and networking
opportunities, and much more! The location is not yet determined but will be
posted on our website at www.dissociety.org <http://www.dissociety.org>. For
more information contact Laura at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
4. FRIENDS FOR LIFE OF AMERICA:  Friends for Life is ready to continue on
with the incredible success we had last year. We have several new programs
planned and are very excited to get the semester underway. Our first meeting
will be Thursday, September 4 at 7:30pm in room 346 of the Reitz Union.
There will be lots of information about the upcoming Childhood Cancer
Awareness Week, and FFL in general. If you are a new member please introduce
yourself to one the executive board members, so we can tell you all about
Friends for Life. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to send me
an email at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

5. CO-ED SERVICE FRATERNITY RUSH: Like doing Service? Looking for something
to boost your Resume? Want to have
some Fun and get Involved? Tau Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, a National Co-ed
Service Fraternity, is holding Fall Rush starting Monday, September 1st. All
students are encouraged to attend our Rush and potentially become Brothers.
Our motto is Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service, and thus we offer
plenty of leadership positions each semester, lots of fellowships for fun,
and usually 2-3 service projects each week. You can find our schedule of
events as well as other information at http://grove.ufl.edu/~apotau. You can
also visit us at the UF Information Booth, located at the HUB bus stop, or
you can email our Membership Vice President, Komal, at
6. BE A PREVIEW STAFFER: Preview Staff 2004. Become a part of a 26 year old
tradition of welcoming new students and their families to UF -- apply to be
a member of the 2004 Preview Staff! Serving on Preview Staff is both a
unique honor and rewarding opportunity to further develop your leadership
skills, build invaluable relationships with fellow staffers, faculty and
staff and make meaningful contributions to your Gator community. Please
visit <http://www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/application.html> for selection
information, a position description or to apply on line. Applications are
due Thursday, September 25th at 4:30pm in P202 Peabody Hall.
7. SWING DANCE CLUB: The Florida Swing Dance Club kicks off the semester
this Friday with the
second of its WEEKLY dances at the Unified Training Center near Downtown
Gainesville. The dance starts at 9pm, costs $4, and there's a free lesson
that starts at 8pm. You don't need any prior experience with dance to come,
and there will be plenty of people to dance with if you don't have a
partner.
Also, the lessons are basic enough for beginners every week, but will
incorporate new moves until dancers that keep coming back each week will
have not only learned the basic steps, but also several moves and a routine.
For more information visit the club's website at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~swinguf/
And here's a map to the dance: http://grove.ufl.edu/~swinguf/map.html

8. VOLUNTEER GATEWAY: No need to go through the phonebook or look up several
Web sites to
find a place to do community service.  Whether it's for class credit,
scholarships or for the love of doing service, students can find several
volunteer opportunities under one Web site. Volunteer Gateway, developed by
the Volunteer Center of Alachua
County and UF's Office of Community Service, allows students to quickly and
easily sign up for on and off campus organizations that need volunteers.
Visit www.volunteergateway.org <http://www.volunteergateway.org> today!

9. PRE-PROFESSIONAL SERVICE ORGANIZATION (PSO)is recruiting students to join
our organization
if they are interested in dental, medical, or vet school.  Students
interested in all
other health-related professions are also welcome.  Applications
can be downloaded from our website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~pso,
or can be picked up in our office (Room 314 on the 3rd floor of
the Reitz Union).  Applications are due this Friday, September 5,
and interviews begin next Monday.

10. PRE-MED? PRE-VET? PRE-DENT? PRE-HEALTH??!! Alpha Epsilon Delta is one of
U.F's most respected organizations on campus and most renowned chapters in
the U.S. We are a pre-professional honor society dedicated to providing
unique community service opportunities and guidance throughout the
undergraduate process. Requirements: G.P.A- 3.0, 2 semesters college
experience. Pick up an application Reitz Union. Rm. 327 (Due Sept 12) or
contact [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> ; [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Visit <http://grove.ufl.edu/~aed>
11.  FREE NEW YORK TIMES: We have a small number of copies of the New York
Times every week in the lobby outside our office in 140 Tigert that you are
welcome to pick up.  Reading the NYT is esp. important for those planning to
apply for a prestigious scholarship to help keep on top of issues in the
world.  There are also some copies in Hume. There should be one copy per
common room (or you can find them down stairs in the lobby.).

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519