Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:36:26 -0400

If you would like to post to the List for your organization, e-mail me
several days ahead. It is important to put the event name and date in the
subject line. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Friday, September 5,2003

Topics:

1. SHO Programming Applications Due Today
2. UF International Folk Dance Club (TODAY)
3. Swing Dance Club (TODAY)
4. Be a Site Leader for FAB (Florida Alternative Breaks)
5. Outdoor Club Meeting
6. CHAMPS: Mentors in Public Schools
7. A Cappella Auditions
8. Tennis on Wheels
9. Take a TRiP on a Weekend (Backpack Odom Trail)
10. Co-Ed Service Fraternity RUSH
11. Be a Preview Staffer 2004
12. Pre-Professional Service Organization (Pre Med, Pre Health etc.)
13. Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Med, Pre-Vet, Pre-Dent, Pre Health)
14. Free New York Times
15. Honors Planners are still not here. My apologies. I very much hope they
will be here soon. I'll announce the moment you can pick them up.

Details:

1. SHO PROGRAMMING COMMITTEES APPLICATION DUE TODAY!!! Just a reminder that
the application to be a part of one of the programming committees for SHO
(Student Honors Organization) is due TODAY! Everyone in the Honors Program
is a member of SHO and therefore eligible to be on a committee. The
application is on the website at
<http://grove.ufl.edu/~sho/committees/newboard.html>. Please turn it into
the Honors Office by 5pm or turn it in at the Hume Area Desk today!
2. UF INTERNATIONAL FOLK DANCE CLUB proudly presents the first workshop of
the Fall 2003 semester! "Around the World in 80 Dances: Bhangra (an aerobic
Indian form of dance)! Friday September 5th, 8:30-10:00 p.m. Aerobics room 1
of the Student Rec and Fitness Center. Our UFIFD Club webpage is posted at:
<http://grove.ufl.edu/~folkstep/>
3. SWING DANCE CLUB: The Florida Swing Dance Club kicks off the semester
this Friday with the
second of its WEEKLY dances at the Unified Training Center near Downtown
Gainesville. The dance starts at 9pm, costs $4, and there's a free lesson
that starts at 8pm. You don't need any prior experience with dance to come,
and there will be plenty of people to dance with if you don't have a
partner.
Also, the lessons are basic enough for beginners every week, but will
incorporate new moves until dancers that keep coming back each week will
have not only learned the basic steps, but also several moves and a routine.
For more information visit the club's website at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~swinguf/
And here's a map to the dance: http://grove.ufl.edu/~swinguf/map.html

4. BE A SITE LEADER FOR FAB (Florida Alternative Breaks)!!!  We are
currently recruiting dedicated, motivated, and responsible
individuals to lead our popular alternative spring break trips for
2004.  The trips will cover many issues faced by modern society
including Animal Refuge, Farm Workers' Rights, Women's
Issues/Adolescent Development, Urban Poverty, Equity in Education,
Rural Communities/Low Income Housing, and HIV/AIDS.  By leading a
FAB trip, you will be able to gain valuable leadership skills,
heighten social awareness, advocate life-long social action, and
build amazing new friendships.  Come find out what it's all about
and pick up an application in the Office of Community Service (3rd
floor JWRU).  Applications are due by Friday, September 19th.
Please email Jessica Horwitz (Director of FAB) at
<[log in to unmask]> with any questions.

5. OUTDOOR CLUB MEETING:  5:30pm on Monday September 8th in the Reitz Union,
room 284.
Want to explore the great Outdoors? Follow experienced leaders to
go Rock Climbing, Caving, Hiking, and much more!  Visit our
website at grove.ufl.edu/~goclub/ for more information.  Our next
meeting will be at 5:30 on Monday September 8th in the Reitz
Union, room 284.  We will be discussing upcoming trips and
activates.  Questions? email David at [log in to unmask]

6. CHAMPS: Collegiates Helping as Mentors in Public Schools: Please consider
sharing one hour a week this semester with a child in an area elementary or
middle school who needs a special friend. Orientation sessions and sign-up
for new volunteers interested in participating will be held as follows:
Wednesday September 10 from 8:00-9:00 PM in Rooms 346-7 Reitz Union.
Partners in Education (955-6900). Former CHAMPS may call to sign up by Sept.
17. (Honors students have really enjoyed doing this volunteer activity in
the past.)
7. A CAPPELLA AUDITIONS: Do you LOVE to sing?  UF's Premiere A Cappella
Group, "No Southern
Accent," is holding auditions for new members:  Monday, September
8 at 8:30 PM in the Music Building.  Any and all singers are welcome - no
preparation necessary!  Questions? Need more info?
Check out our website at www.nosouthernaccent.org or email us at

8. TENNIS ON WHEELS: Tennis on Wheels is searching for service oriented
students!! Tennis on Wheels (TOW) is a student volunteer organization
dedicated to running wheelchair tennis clinics at local area schools. This
semester, we will be hosting clinics twice a week at two Gainesville
schools. We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated student volunteers
who would like to join us in running these hour-long clinics. NO tennis
experience is required. All that we ask is that you attend our training
session/meeting and commit to 3-4 sessions per semester! If you are
interested in getting involved, be sure to mark your calendars for our
meeting & training session on Monday, September 8, 2003 at 7:00pm. We will
meet at the East End of the Flavet Tennis Courts (located across from Hume
Hall on Museum Road). Please bring your planners, as we will have session
sign up that night. Don't hold back from volunteering because you think it
will be hard! It won't be!! Bringing the love of tennis to these young
children is one of the most rewarding experiences you can imagine!!! If you
would like more information, don't hesitate to contact TOW President, Fred
Nguyen, at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
9. TAKE A TRiP ON THE WEEKEND: Sick of being in Gainesville this weekend?
Take a TRiP!  The
University of Florida's Travel and Recreation Program (TRiP) offers many
adventure-based outdoor trips around the southeast.
Coming up is Backpack Odom Trail, on September 19-21.  Located in the
foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, this 10 mile trail skirts the
highest point in Alabama, Mt. Cheaha.  If you're up for fun and adventure,
then this is the TRiP for you.  To sign up, visit the Outfitter on the
ground floor of the Reitz Union, next
to the Orange and Brew.  Contact Kyle Evans at [log in to unmask] for more
information.

10. CO-ED SERVICE FRATERNITY RUSH: Like doing Service? Looking for something
to boost your Resume? Want to have
some Fun and get Involved? Tau Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, a National Co-ed
Service Fraternity, is holding Fall Rush starting Monday, September 1st. All
students are encouraged to attend our Rush and potentially become Brothers.
Our motto is Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service, and thus we offer
plenty of leadership positions each semester, lots of fellowships for fun,
and usually 2-3 service projects each week. You can find our schedule of
events as well as other information at http://grove.ufl.edu/~apotau. You can
also visit us at the UF Information Booth, located at the HUB bus stop, or
you can email our Membership Vice President, Komal, at
11. BE A PREVIEW STAFFER: Preview Staff 2004. Become a part of a 26 year old
tradition of welcoming new students and their families to UF -- apply to be
a member of the 2004 Preview Staff! Serving on Preview Staff is both a
unique honor and rewarding opportunity to further develop your leadership
skills, build invaluable relationships with fellow staffers, faculty and
staff and make meaningful contributions to your Gator community. Please
visit <http://www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/application.html> for selection
information, a position description or to apply on line. Applications are
due Thursday, September 25th at 4:30pm in P202 Peabody Hall.

12. PRE-PROFESSIONAL SERVICE ORGANIZATION (PSO)is recruiting students to
join our organization
if they are interested in dental, medical, or vet school.  Students
interested in all
other health-related professions are also welcome.  Applications
can be downloaded from our website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~pso,
or can be picked up in our office (Room 314 on the 3rd floor of
the Reitz Union).  Applications are due this Friday, September 5,
and interviews begin next Monday.

13. PRE-MED? PRE-VET? PRE-DENT? PRE-HEALTH??!! Alpha Epsilon Delta is one of
U.F's most respected organizations on campus and most renowned chapters in
the U.S. We are a pre-professional honor society dedicated to providing
unique community service opportunities and guidance throughout the
undergraduate process. Requirements: G.P.A- 3.0, 2 semesters college
experience. Pick up an application Reitz Union. Rm. 327 (Due Sept 12) or
contact [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> ; [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Visit <http://grove.ufl.edu/~aed>
14.  FREE NEW YORK TIMES: We have a small number of copies of the New York
Times every week in the lobby outside our office in 140 Tigert that you are
welcome to pick up.  Reading the NYT is esp. important for those planning to
apply for a prestigious scholarship to help keep on top of issues in the
world.  There are also some copies in Hume. There should be one copy per
common room (or you can find them down stairs in the lobby.).

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519