Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List (09-8-03)
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:52:01 -0400

If you would like to post to the List for your organization, e-mail me
several days ahead. It is important to put the event name and date in the
subject line. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Monday, September 8, 2003

Topics:

1. S/U Options Deadline
2. Pre-Legal Honor Society
3. The Gator Gay-Straight Alliance
4. Outdoor Club Meeting (TODAY)
5. PREMED AMSA Meeting
6. International Business Society Meeting
7. Horseback Riding on the Beach (TRiP)
8. Gamma Epsilon Chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity
9. A Cappella Auditions (TODAY)
10. Tennis on Wheels (TODAY)
11. Be a Preview Staffer 2004
12. Free New York Times
13. Honors Planners are still not here (they are on route via UPS). My
apologies. I very much hope they will be here soon. I'll announce the moment
you can pick them up.

Details:

1. S/U OPTION DEADLINE is Friday Sept. 12. Paperwork is due in the
Registrar's Office by that date--you can pick up the form there to begin
with. This deadline is never extended. S/U (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) is
a bit complicated. Basically you are allowed to take one course a semester
for an S/U, rather than a grade. This does not affect your gpa. See the new
catalogue on p. I-26 for some of the constraints (Writing and Math
requirement courses--aka Gordon Rule CANNOT be taken S/U. Some colleges
(Engineering and Accounting, for example) do NOT allow students to do
General Education courses S/U. Major courses CAN'T be taken S/U.) Since your
college advising office has to sign off, you probably don't need to worry
that you will opt for this incorrectly. Some students worry what an employer
or grad school will think about an S. This is not a big deal, since you
can't do major courses S/U, for example.
S/U is most useful for courses in which you are exploring a new area; some
students like to do language courses S/U.
2. PRE-LEGAL HONOR SOCIETY: 1st Meeting Tuesday 9, at 7:00 pm. NPB (New
Physics Building) 1002. Guest speakers are Professor Stafford, Kaplan,
Testmasters and the Princeton Review. grove.ufl.edu/~prelegal

3. THE GATOR GAY-STRAIGHT ALLIANCE (GatorGSA.org) is an activist group
committed to ending homophobia. For three years now, our programs have
raised awareness and challenged assumptions. All of our events target
audiences that are otherwise unaware of GLBT/Queer issues. We have had great
support and participation in the past from honors students looking for a way
to make a difference.  Everyone is welcome at our meetings, where we develop
and discuss events.
Consistent with our stance against stereotypes, no one in GatorGSA makes any
assumptions about your sexual orientation, because all of us are working for
a common goal. We make certain that everyone has a chance to participate as
much or as little as they feel they can. If you can't make it to meetings,
but want to stay on top of what we're doing, get connected to our
one-message-a-week email list by signing up at www.GatorGSA.org. Come to our
first meeting at 8pm this Tuesday, September 9 in the Reitz Union room 283
to get involved!

4. OUTDOOR CLUB MEETING:  5:30pm on Monday September 8th in the Reitz Union,
room 284.
Want to explore the great Outdoors? Follow experienced leaders to
go Rock Climbing, Caving, Hiking, and much more!  Visit our
website at grove.ufl.edu/~goclub/ for more information.  Our next
meeting will be at 5:30 on Monday September 8th in the Reitz
Union, room 284.  We will be discussing upcoming trips and
activates.  Questions? email David at [log in to unmask]

5. PREMED AMSA: Premeds Unite!  UF Premed AMSA (American Medical Student
Association) is up and running!  Our first general meeting is this Wednesday
September 10th, 7:30PM at the Shands MSB Auditorium.  Everyone is invited to
come!  Our application is available at www.ufpremed.org (click the left link
for online application).  Returning members from last year also need to fill
out an application.  UF Premed AMSA is the largest and most active
premedical organization on campus, in addition to being the coolest and
largest AMSA chapter in the world!  We've got something for everyone.  Don't
know where MSB Auditorium is?  Not a problem!  AMSA representatives will be
at the Reitz Union Colonnade AND Turlington "Fries" statue.  They will leave
at 7:00PM to walk you down to Shands MSB Auditorium.  We'll walk you back
too!  Hope to see you all there!

6. INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS SOCIETY MEETING: International Business Society at
the University of Florida will have its first meeting this Tuesday,
September 9th, at 6pm in Matherly 107. IBS is a brand new student group in
the UF Warrington College of Business (although all majors are welcome to
join.) Our focus is on increasing awareness of issues related to global
economics and international business relations. Opportunities include guest
speakers, debates, presentations on international topics, interaction with
exchange students, socials, and study abroad information. Because we are
brand new, we are looking for students with new ideas who would like to be
leaders! (Many positions will be available soon!) So come on by Tuesday,
check us out, and meet some new people (international and UF students!).
Also - Check out our website at <http://grove.ufl.edu/~ufibs>. Questions?
Contact us at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or email
Lindsey LaBoon at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
7. HORSEBACK RIDING ON THE BEACH: September 27 -28. Come watch the sunset
with us and enjoy a relaxing two hour horseback ride down the sandy beach of
Cape San Blas. Leave your troubles behind and come camp on the beach and
wake to the beautiful Gulf of Mexico at your front door. Itinerary: We will
leave Gainsville late Saturday morning. Then meet our guides at Salina's
Park at 4:45pm and set out for 2 hr horseback ride. Sunday morning get up
and enjoy the day at the beach. Leave after lunch and return to Gainsville
late afternoon. If anyone is interested in this unique adventure, register
at the Outfitter (Reitz Union) soon and if you have any questions contact

8. THE GAMMA EPSILON CHAPTER of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity is
pleased to invite students with a UF GPA of 3.0 or greater to become a
future brother. Phi Sigma Pi's Fall Rush will kick off Tuesday, Sept. 9,
2003 with "Meet Phi Sigma Pi Night" at 7 p.m. in Flint Hall, Rm. 150. Come
meet members, learn more about our close-knit brotherhood and how you can
become one! Grab a free slice of pizza and learn how you can be a part of a
unique organization unlike anything else at the University of Florida. Phi
Sigma Pi is a national honors fraternity dedicated to promoting scholarship,
leadership and fellowship. For more information and complete list of Rush
Week events, visit www.afn.org/~phisigpi <http://www.afn.org/~phisigpi> or
e-mail our Initiate Advisors: Marissa - [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Aaron - [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

9. A CAPPELLA AUDITIONS: Do you LOVE to sing?  UF's Premiere A Cappella
Group, "No Southern
Accent," is holding auditions for new members:  Monday, September
8 at 8:30 PM in the Music Building.  Any and all singers are welcome - no
preparation necessary!  Questions? Need more info?
Check out our website at www.nosouthernaccent.org or email us at

10. TENNIS ON WHEELS: Tennis on Wheels is searching for service oriented
students!! Tennis on Wheels (TOW) is a student volunteer organization
dedicated to running wheelchair tennis clinics at local area schools. This
semester, we will be hosting clinics twice a week at two Gainesville
schools. We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated student volunteers
who would like to join us in running these hour-long clinics. NO tennis
experience is required. All that we ask is that you attend our training
session/meeting and commit to 3-4 sessions per semester! If you are
interested in getting involved, be sure to mark your calendars for our
meeting & training session on Monday, September 8, 2003 at 7:00pm. We will
meet at the East End of the Flavet Tennis Courts (located across from Hume
Hall on Museum Road). Please bring your planners, as we will have session
sign up that night. Don't hold back from volunteering because you think it
will be hard! It won't be!! Bringing the love of tennis to these young
children is one of the most rewarding experiences you can imagine!!! If you
would like more information, don't hesitate to contact TOW President, Fred
Nguyen, at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
11. BE A PREVIEW STAFFER: Preview Staff 2004. Become a part of a 26 year old
tradition of welcoming new students and their families to UF -- apply to be
a member of the 2004 Preview Staff! Serving on Preview Staff is both a
unique honor and rewarding opportunity to further develop your leadership
skills, build invaluable relationships with fellow staffers, faculty and
staff and make meaningful contributions to your Gator community. Please
visit <http://www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/application.html> for selection
information, a position description or to apply on line. Applications are
due Thursday, September 25th at 4:30pm in P202 Peabody Hall.

12.  FREE NEW YORK TIMES: We have a small number of copies of the New York
Times every week in the lobby outside our office in 140 Tigert that you are
welcome to pick up.  Reading the NYT is esp. important for those planning to
apply for a prestigious scholarship to help keep on top of issues in the
world.  There are also some copies in Hume. There should be one copy per
common room (or you can find them down stairs in the lobby.).

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519