Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 09-10-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:52:39 -0400

If you would like to post to the List for your organization, e-mail me
several days ahead. It is important to put the date and an abbreviated
version of the event name in the subject line. SKD

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Topics:

1. Dancin' Gators (TODAY)
2. Public Relations Student Society (TODAY)
3. Circle K
4. HEAL (Health Educated Asian Leaders)
5. Investment Club
6. Undergraduate Medical Humanities Club
7. Arabic Cultural Association Bash
8. FLORIDA PLAYERS (TODAY)
9. Golden Key Kickoff (TODAY)
10. PREMED AMSA (TODAY)
11. Preprofessional Service Organization (PSO) applications
12. Alpha Epsilon Delta applications

13. Honors Planners are still not here (they are on route via UPS). My
apologies. I very much hope they will be here soon. I'll announce the moment
you can pick them up.

Details:

1. DANCIN' GATORS: Are you a dancer? Do you love to dance? Dancin' Gators, a
new group on campus that started last spring is having tryouts on Wednesday,
September 10th at 8:30 PM in the Southwest Recreation Center's aerobic room.
Please bring your gator one, and anything else you will need to perform a
dance. Since this is a new group, there are lots of opportunities for
leadership. The group is planning to have performances at different events
on campus. If you have any questions, email [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
2. UF's Alpha Chapter of the PUBLIC RELATIONS STUDENT SOCIETY of America
(PRSSA) is Wednesday, Sept. 10 at 6:30 p.m. in Gannett Auditorium, WEIM
1064.  See http://grove.ufl.edu/~prssa for more details.
3. CIRCLE K: Are you interested in getting involved on campus? How about
some community service? Were you involved in Key Club in high school? Do you
wish you were? ;-) Then UF Circle K is the club for you! (We're talking the
club, NOT the convenience store.)  Circle K is the Collegiate division of
Kiwanis. (Key Club is the high school division.) The UF chapter is one of
the more active chapters in Florida! We do a large variety of projects,
ranging from volunteering in elementary schools to walk-a-thons to reading
to kids at the local library. We also participate in conferences locally and
nationally! If you'd like to meet lots of people and get plugged into
community service in Gainesville, we are the club to join. :) Our first
meeting will be this Thursday, September 11th, at 5:15pm in room 362 of the
Reitz Union. Bring your sweet tooth... We can't wait to see you there!
Questions? Contact Circle K Treasurer Lindsey LaBoon @ [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for more info.
Attention all pre-med, pre-pharm, or pre-health students!

4. HEAL stands for Health Educated Asian Leaders, and we are an organization
dedicated to become *the* resource for
health-oriented students at UF.  We have a bank of prep/practice books for
tests such as the MCAT and PCAT, and later on in the semester, we'll also
hold a mock testing session to better prepare you for these tests.  And
since everyone in the organization is focusing on the same fields, you can
easily find study buddies who are taking the very same classes as you are,
as well as plenty of advice from our guest speakers.  We'll also help you
get started with volunteering at the VA Hospital, since it's always more fun
to volunteer with a group.  Plus, our fun social events and community
service projects will let you bond with fellow pre-health Gators as well as
give back to the community.  And don't be thwarted by our name; HEAL is open
to all health students, not just Asians. Our first general meeting for this
year will be held on Thursday, 9/11/03, at 8PM in the Reitz Union, rooms 362
& 363. (And yes, there *will* be FREE FOOD for all.)  If you have any
questions, please visit http://grove.ufl.edu/~ufheal or send an email to

5. INVESTMENT CLUB: The University of Florida's Student Investment Club is
having its first meeting of the year Thursday, September 11th at 7pm in the
New Engineering Building (NEB) 101. The meeting will also include a resume
workshop with a CRC staff member. After the meeting will be the first social
of the year at the Mellow Mushroom. For more information please visit the
website at www.ufinvestmentclub.com . Money...come see what all the fuss is
about.
6. The UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL HUMANITIES CLUB is an exciting new organization
for students who are interested in the humane aspects of medicine and the
art of health care. Our club has opportunities to meet with medical
students, explores issues confronted by physicians, and participates in
volunteer activities. Join us at our first meeting. Find out more about us
and enter our logo design contest for great prizes! Refreshments provided!
FIRST MEETING is Thursday September 11, 6:30-8:00  in Reitz Union Room 287.
7. We would like to Invite you to the ARABIC CULTURAL ASSOCIATION BASH at
Farrah's (On University, 6 blocks East of Campus.) Restaurant  Thursday,
September 11th, 2003 at 6:00pm. This will be the first general
body meeting of the semester and we are excited!  The E-board would like
to welcome all new and returning students to the campus by hosting this
social event. You are welcome to bring your friends or family. We will
be introducing the E-Board of 2003-2004, as well as providing
information on upcoming events. We look forward to meeting all of you
and having lots of fun, ACA E-board

8. FLORIDA PLAYERS, UF's student-run theatre production organization, is
having its first meeting of the season and is looking for new, eager members
who want to be a part of the exciting world of
THEATRE at UF. You DO NOT have to be a theatre major to join-- EVERYONE is
welcome. We are looking for those interested in
performance and technical experience or just looking to get involved in a
positive, nurturing, and artistic environment.
FLORIDA PLAYERS: Wednesday, September 10th, 4 P.M., Reitz Union-- Room 285

9. GOLDEN KEY KICKOFF: Come help us kick off a new semester at the Golden
Key pizza party! The  party will start on Wednesday September the 10th at
8pm in Reitz Union room  349......plenty of pizza for all. We will also be
accepting applications for  leadership positions, such as club directors.
There are many openings available in a variety of areas including
environmental, PR, advertising, intramurals, and service. There's something
for everyone. For info on Golden Key go to
http://grove.ufl.edu/~ufgk/index.php You need a 3.5 gpa and junior standing
to be invited to join.
10. PREMED AMSA Premeds Unite!  UF Premed AMSA (American Medical Student
Association) is up and running!  Our first general meeting is this Wednesday
September 10th, 7:30PM at the Shands MSB Auditorium.  Everyone is invited to
come!  Our application is available at www.ufpremed.org (click the left link
for online application).  Returning members from last year also need to fill
out an application.  UF Premed AMSA is the largest and most active
premedical organization on campus, in addition to being the coolest and
largest AMSA chapter in the world!  We've got something for everyone.  Don't
know where MSB Auditorium is?  Not a problem!  AMSA representatives will be
at the Reitz Union Colonnade AND Turlington "Fries" statue.  They will leave
at 7:00PM to walk you down to Shands MSB Auditorium.  We'll walk you back
too!  Hope to see you all there!

11. PREPROFESSIONAL SERVICE ORGANIZATION APPLICATIONS: Attention pre-med,
pre-dent, pre-vet, and any other pre-health
students!  Join the Preprofessional Service Organization (PSO)!
Applications are due Thursday, September 11 and are available on our website
at http://grove.ufl.edu/~pso.  Interviews are this week!

12. Pre-Med, Pre-Vet, Pre-Dent, Pre-Health??!! Alpha Epsilon Delta is one of
U.F's most respected organizations on campus and most renowned chapters in
the U.S. We are a pre-professional honor society dedicated to providing
unique community service opportunities and guidance throughout the
undergraduate process. Requirements: G.P.A- 3.0, 2 semesters college
experience. Pick up an application Reitz Union. Rm. 327 (Due Sept 12) or
contact [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> ; [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Visit <http://grove.ufl.edu/~aed>

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert