Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 9-16-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:59:55 -0400

FREE HONORS PLANNERS ARE HERE. Pick up in 140 Tigert or Hume. ALSO HONORS
FACEBOOKS FOR FRESHMEN.

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Topics:
1. Study Abroad Fair
2. Internships in Washington DC
3. Info Session in Hume for the Washington Center
4. Career Showcase (internships, coops, jobs)
5. RECURSO Gala
6. Gator Alliance for Teaching, Equality, & Success (GATES) (TODAY)
7. Undergraduate Economics Society Meeting (TODAY)
8. Careers in IT
9. Jacob Javits Fellowship Program (graduating seniors)
10. Engineering Students: "An Evening with Industry"
11. Be a Preview Staffer (info sessions)
12. Eta Sigma Phi (Classics Honorary Society)
13. Health Professions Workshop (freshmen and sophomores)
14.  Florida Undergraduate Film (FUF) Society meeting (TODAY)
15. Undergraduate Research Opportunity

Details:

1. STUDY ABROAD FAIR:  Find out how you can be a "Global Gator" at the
Study Abroad Fair Wednesday, Sept. 17, from 10-3 on the Reitz Union
Colonnade!  Explore the world of study abroad and meet students who have
been abroad, UF faculty members who lead programs around the world,
representatives from other institutions with UF approved study abroad
options, as well as International Center advisors.  Spring 2004 program
applications are due October 1st.  Summer applications due March 1.
Scholarships are also available.  Students unable to attend the fair are
encouraged to visit the International Center in 123 Grinter Hall or
www.ufic.ufl.edu for more information.

2. INTERNSHIPS IN WASHINGTON DC:  Want to learn more about an internship
in Washington DC (may be with a government office, a law firm, a
non-profit, a business etc.)?  Come to an information session on Tuesday
Sept. 16
in 1031 McCarty D at 2:00 pm OR Wednesday Sept. 17 at 9:30 am in 285 Reitz
Union OR Thursday Sept. 18
at 9:30 am in 285 Reitz Union. Sandy Butler-Whyte will be here from the
Washington Center to provide information on this program. These internships,
organized by the
Washington Center, may be taken for credit any semester including summer.
Students must be
at least a sophomore and have a 2.5 GPA. Scholarships are available for UF
students toward the costs of the program. For additional information go to
the TWC website at http://www.twc.edu or call 392-1519. Internships are
available for all undergraduate majors. (UF students have really enjoyed and
benefited from these
internships. )

3. INTERNSHIPS IN WASHINGTON DC: Want to learn more about an internship in
Washington DC (may be with a government office, a law firm, a non-profit, a
business etc.)? Come to an informal information session especially for
Honors students on Wednesday evening at 7:00 PM in one of the Hume
classrooms. Scholarships are available for UF students toward the costs of
the program. For additional information go to the TWC website at
http://www.twc.edu or call 392-1519. Internships are available for all
undergraduate majors. (I can also make an exception for someone who is a
very good student (and mature) who is not a sophomore (I am the UF contact
for this program).
4. CAREER SHOWCASE: For info on the Career SHOWCASE on Wednesday and
Thursday go to www.crc.ufl.edu Career Showcase is a job fair for full-time,
co-op, and internship opportunities in all disciplines. The event
traditionally hosts over 250 companies and more than 5,000 students during
its two days. Even if you feel it is too soon to look for an internship, get
dressed up and go and have a look at how the Showcase operates.
5. RECURSO GALA: Recurso would like to invite some members of your
organization to our first annual Founder's Day Gala on Wednesday, the
seventeenth of September at half after seven o'clock in the Rion Ballroom at
the J. Wayne Reitz Student Union.  Refreshments will be served at half after
seven o'clock.   Remarks by Mr. Dean Hirsch, President and CEO of World
Vision International will follow.  The attire is black tie.  We have
allocated _5___ number of spots for members of your organization.
Please email Emily Friend our PR Overall Director at [log in to unmask] by
Tuesday, September 16th to confirm the number of individuals and their names
who would like to attend.  We would love it for your members to be able to
join us at this exciting event.   For our general members we have put a
message on the list serve with the paragraph about and will be providing
their spots on a "first email first serve basis".  For us it was the easiest
way to handle this and would like to recommend it to you to as an easy way
of handling it.   Thank you so much!  We hope to see you and some of your
members at the event!!  If you have any questions concerning Recurso or the
gala you might visit our website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~recurso or email
or call Emily Friend at [log in to unmask] or 352-246-1987.

Recurso is a student organization that raises awareness on issues such as
global development and poverty alleviation in underdeveloped countries such
as Nicaragua, Peru, Guatemala, and Peru. Through a series of events and
fundaraisers we garner donation for children who suffer from cancer, Aids,
or malnutrition in these countries.

6. GATES: If you like any of the following: Kids; Teaching; Volunteering;
Meeting new people; Gaining leadership experience, Then come join GATES!
Gator Alliance for Teaching, Equality, & Success is looking for new members
to help kids with homework at St. Francis House & Reichert House as well as
provide SAT Prep at Gainesville & Eastside High Schools. Our first new
member meeting is Tuesday, Sept. 16 at 8pm in Reitz Union Room 355. Email
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> for details!
7. UNDERGRADUATE ECONOMICS SOCIETY MEETING: This Tuesday, September 16 at
5:10PM, the Undergraduate Economics Society
will have its second general meeting of the semester in LIT 113 followed at
6:00PM by a presentation from Dr. Oliver-Smith on the topic of Economic
Anthropology.   Dr. Oliver-Smith is a professor in the University's
Anthropology
Department. He specializes in both socio-culture and socio-economic bases of

natural and technological disasters and development-induced displacement and

resettlement.  He teaches classes on racial and ethnic minorities, the
people of the Andes, economic anthropology, environment and cultural
behavior, rural peoples in the modern world, the transition to capitalism,
and change, crisis and social reconstruction.  He has served as a consultant

for the World Bank, recently published "Catastrophe and Culture: The
Anthropology of Disaster," and was named a CLAS Term Professor for
2002-2003.
8. CAREERS IN IT: "Interested in a career in IT?" College of Business has a
unique program. Visit us at www.cba.ufl.edu/dis
<http://www.cba.ufl.edu/dis>. For more information, contact Lilia Santiague
at [log in to unmask]"   (see info on undergraduate majors and combined degrees
in DIS).
9. JACOB JAVITS FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM: For graduating seniors and first year
graduate students. The purpose of the Jacob K. Javits (JKJ) Fellowship
Program is to award fellowships to eligible students of superior ability,
selected on the basis of demonstrated achievement, financial need, and
exceptional promise, to undertake graduate study in selected fields in the
arts, humanities, and social sciences leading to a doctoral degree or to a
master's degree in those fields in which the master's degree is the terminal
highest degree awarded in the selected field of study at accredited
institutions of higher education.
Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: October 3, 2003 for the JKJ
Fellowship Program. January 31, 2004 for the Free Application for Federal
Student Aid (FAFSA). Details can be found at
http://www.ed.gov/programs/iegpsjavits/javitsapp.html.

10. ENGINEERING STUDENTS: "An EVENING WITH INDUSTRY": Come to 'An Evening
With Industry', a networking event in an informal setting. It will be held
on Wednesday Sept. 17 at NEB Atrium from 6:00pm - 8:00pm. Please do not
bring any resumes to the event: however, do e-mail them to me to be included
in the Resume CD that all the attending companies receive. This is a great
event to meet and interact with recruiter. Neha Ganju, Director "An Evening
With Industry" [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
11. BE A PREVIEW STAFFER 2004: Become a part of a 26 year old tradition of
welcoming new students and their families to UF -- apply to be a member of
the 2004 Preview Staff! Serving on Preview Staff is both a unique honor and
rewarding opportunity to further develop your leadership skills, build
invaluable relationships with fellow staffers, faculty and staff and make
meaningful contributions to your Gator community. Please visit
<http://www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/application.html> for selection information,
a position description or to apply on line. Applications are due Thursday,
September 25th at 4:30pm in P202 Peabody Hall. (Honors students have enjoyed
doing this. A great leadership opportunity.)  Info sessions 5:30-6:30 pm on
Tuesday Sept. 16 in Broward Hall Library; Sept. 17 in LaCasita; Thursday
Sept. 18 in 285 Reitz.

12. ETA SIGMA PHI (Classics Honorary Society): The Epsilon Iota Chapter of
Eta Sigma Phi, the Classics Honor
Society, will hold it's 25th Annual Fall Induction on Thursday,
September 18, at 6:30pm in the Bryan Lounge (Reitz Union 123).
All students who have earned or shall earn a grade of B or higher
in any Classics course qualify for Local Associate Membership, and
students who have earned a B or higher in a Greek or Latin course
qualify for National Lifetime Membership.  For more information
about inductions or our organization visit the Eta Sigma Phi
website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~classics or e-mail either
President Brenda Fields ([log in to unmask]) or Vice-President
Anthony Strazzulla ([log in to unmask]).

13. HEALTH PROFESSIONS WORKSHOP FOR FRESHMEN AND SOPHOMORES: The new
workshop is also full. Here is some info from the Pre Med adviser, if you
have not been able to sign up for a workshop: If you have students who are
asking about what they can do because they were unable to sign up for a
workshop, please refer the students to my email, [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> . (Robert Kwong).
The workshops are videotaped and those students may choose to watch the
video at a later time. If however they do prefer a live workshop, they
should send Robert Kwong an email to the address above. hE will work with
them to see how they can be accommodated within reason. Be aware that the
OHLPA office strongly suggests that they EITHER read the pre-health handbook
at <http://www.advising.ufl.edu/prehealth> or attend a health professions
workshop prior to making an appointment to see a pre-health professions
advisor. It is not required that the students do either, but the appointment
is more meaningful if they have done one or the other.

14.  THE FLORIDA UNDERGRADUATE FILM (FUF) Society will have an information
session for the new year on this Tuesday, 9/16 at 7:00pm at the Reitz Union
Colonnade (the terrace area outside). FUF is a society of both film majors
and recreational film fans. Whether you enjoy watching, making, (or even
laughing at) films, we put on a variety of events to help bring film culture
to the UF campus. This semester we plan to show free films weekly, attend a
film festival, and publish several issues of our film criticism journal.
Typically honors students make up a big portion of our society. Come out and
learn more!
15. UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY:
InvestiGators, UF's Research-Based Honor Society, is holding fall
interviews for the Carnitine Team.  We have opportunities
available in our research program for undergraduate students to
participate as volunteers or to receive credit in a 4905 class.
Under the direction of Dr. Peggy Borum, this team focuses on the
laboratory research aspects of the program in which you will have
the opportunity to work with experimental animals, developing
experimental procedures, and chemically analyzing biological
samples.  Further personal research in a more focused area can be
formed into an individual thesis project. The minimum time requirement is 10
lab hours per week in blocks of
at least 2 hours each, although those members who contribute 15-17
hours a week seem to have a more meaningful experience.  We are
looking for at least a one-year commitment.If you are interested in being
interviewed for the program, please
email the following information to Joy Caangay at [log in to unmask]
to schedule an interview:
*       Name
*       Major
*       University classification
*       GPA
*       Email address
*       Phone number
*       Daily schedule indicating days and specific times you are
available to work in the program
*       Are you interested in receiving credit in a 4905 special
problems class?
*       Brief description of career goals

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519