Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 9-23-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:03:17 -0400

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student.  Opportunities listed
range from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, e-mail
several days before the event. Please put the date and name of the event in
the subject line (may be abbreviated).

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Topics:
1. This Week's SHO Events
2. Friends for Life of America (Childhood Cancer Awareness Week)
3. Spring Break in Paris
4. Golden Key Meeting
5. GATORSHIP 2004
6. PSI CHI, Psychology National Honor Society (TODAY)
7. German Department Open House
8. TANGO Night
9. ODK Honor Society Applications
10. Student Organization Fair
11. Residence Hall Planning Staff Deadline Extended
12. Workshops for CLAS majors
13. Ntozake Shange Reads from her New Novel
14. Make A Major Decision
15. Eli Wiesel Essay Contest (Juniors and Seniors)

Details:

1. THIS WEEK'S SHO EVENTS: THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 25 MUST-SEE-TV COFFEE HOUSE
8-10pm. Come join other honors students for the most popular shows on
television shown on the big screen of the Hum Classroom. Coffee and hot
drinks along with snacks.
SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 28 SUNDAES ON SUNDAY 8pm. Come on down to the Hume Commons
for ice cream and your favorite toppings with your closest friends in
honors! Come down early so the ice cream doesn't run out!

2. FRIENDS FOR LIFE OF AMERICA is proud to announce our first annual
Childhood Cancer Awareness Week.  We have events planned
throughout the week to raise awareness about childhood cancer.  On
Tuesday, Sept. 23, we will host Locks of Love on the Reitz Union
Colonnade from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.  Come out and donate your hair for
a child with cancer!  On Thursday, Sept. 25, we will host an
Awareness Forum at 7 p.m. in the Health
Professions/Nursing/Pharmacy Building Auditorium (Rm 1404).  The
forum will feature Dr. John Graham-Pole, a pediatric oncologist
from Shands, as well as childhood cancer survivors.  Hope to see
you there!  Friends for Life of America is a national student-run
organization that provides educational, emotional and financial
support to pediatric patients living with cancer.  For more
information, please go to our website at
www.friendsforlife.com/uf."

3. SPRING BREAK IN PARIS: I am pleased to announce an intensive, week-long
study abroad program I will be leading to Paris, France at the new UF Paris
Research Center during Spring Break 2004. The one-unit, stand-alone capstone
course is entitled "French Political Institutions, History, and Culture."
The course will feature visits to French governmental offices in Paris,
World War II battlefields in Normandy, and guest lectures on French politics
and history. More information is at
<http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/rconley/provence/Paris.pdf> ; flyers are also
available in the main office in 234 Anderson Hall. Please feel to share with
interested undergraduates and have them contact me for more information. I
will have more details on the guest speakers upon my return from Paris in
December. Richard S. Conley, Assistant Professor, Coordinator, Political
Science Studies at Aix-en-Provence, France,Department of Political Science,
234 Anderson Hall.
4. GOLDEN KEY MEETING: Golden Key Honour society will be having a meeting on
Wednesday September 24 at 8pm in the New Engineering Bldg room 202. This
meeting will be a raffle with free prizes so you won't want to miss!! We
will also introduce our new directors and accept applications for our last
few leadership positions. So if you need leadership or love free stuff then
join us at this meeting!
5. GATORSHIP 2004:  Are you interested in helping to build an inclusive
community and share your leadership skills with other motivated students?
If so, then Gatorship Staff is the answer.  The Gatorship Staff is seeking
students to serve as small group leaders for Gatorship 2004, to be held
January 16-18, 2004.  Gatorship is a unique leadership and diversity
experience for student leaders at the University of Florida.  It is designed
to be an intense and thought-provoking weekend retreat where over 65
participants plus student staff have the opportunity to interact through
team building activities and group discussions.  The focus of the leadership
experience is on multiculturalism and diversity. The small group leaders'
role is to facilitate discussion and to serve as a resource for the
Gatorship 2004 participants.  Please stop by the Dean of Students Office in
Peabody Hall to pick up an application and sign-up for an interview time.
The applications are due in the DSO on Friday, October 3rd by 5pm.  If you
have any questions, please contact Andrew Lisi at [log in to unmask] or
Jenni McNally at [log in to unmask]

6. PSI CHI, the Psychology National Honors Society, is having its first
meeting this Tuesday September 23rd at 7:30 pm in Room 202 of the New
Engineering
Building. Requirements to join Psi Chi are having attended 3 semesters
of college and for transfer students at least 1 semester at UF.
Successful applicants must have an overall GPA of 3.0 and a Psychology
GPA of 3.5 having taken at least 9 credits of Psychology courses to
date. Successful applicants must provide a transcript and a one time
fee of 40 dollars to join Psi Chi. There will be an initiation ceremony
for both Fall and Spring semesters. If you do not yet meet the
requirements to join Psi Chi you may join Psychology Club and be
involved in a very exciting and prestigious Club, attached to the Honor
Society. There will be free pizza provided at each meeting, which will
be every other Tuesday. There will also be many excellent speakers
talking about Current Research in Psychology and Grad School
Preparation. Psychology is the largest major here at UF and we hope to
gather as many people as possible for a very fun and definitely
rewarding experience.

7. GERMAN DEPARTMENT OPEN HOUSE will be taking place on Thursday, September
25 from 4-7 pm in the McQuown room (Dauer 219) and the immediately adjoining
room, within the broader framework of Weeks of Welcome. We're planning to
have pizza delivered and other finger foods and soft drinks on hand, but we
will encourage our students to bring any dish they would like to share and
we encourage you to do the same. After initial brief introductions by the
faculty members, we hope to have a program of music and dance -- pending the
willingness of our students to volunteer their talents. We plan to devote
some space -- possibly the above-mentioned adjoining room -- to displays
about our programs and study abroad possibilities. Come and meet the German
Department and find out about the programs they have to offer.

8. TANGO NIGHT: Hispanic Heritage Month, Argentine Students Association and
Peruvian-American Students United present:
TANGO NIGHT: Thursday, September 25, 2003
7:30 pm at Broward Basement. FREE FREE FREE
Everyone is welcome! We'll start off with a presentation of 4 tango dances.
This will be followed
by a tango lesson and dancing. Please direct any questions to

9. ODK HONOR SOCIETY APPLICATIONS: WANT TO SET YOURSELF APART? Get involved!
ODK Honor Society Application Deadline: October 3rd.
Membership in Omicron Delta Kappa National Honor Society is a mark
of the highest distinction and honor.  You must be in Junior standing (60
credits and above) and be in the top 1/3 of your college.
Applications are due no later than October 3rd.  The application
and all upcoming organization events can be found online at our
webpage, http://grove.ufl.edu/~odk/.

10. STUDENT ORGANIZATION FAIR: On Wednesday, September 24, IDEAL is
hosting the Student Organization Fair. If you are interested in meeting
members from over 120 of UF's most active student groups, come by the J.
Wayne Reitz Union Colonnade & North Lawn from 10 am to 3 pm. Classic Fare
will be there with samples of their tasty treats and will have information
on how groups can apply for food scholarships. This semester there will
also be performances by various student organizations.  This is a one-stop
shopping opportunity for students who want to meet peers, identify
leadership opportunities, and get involved. For more information, call
392- 1655 x311.

11. RESIDENCE HALL PLANNING STAFF DEADLINE EXTENDED: The deadline for
applying for Residence Hall Week's planning staff has been extended to
October 1st!  Check it out at http://plaza.ufl.edu/adrian12/rhw/info.html.
This is a great leadership opportunity that many Honors students have
enjoyed in the past!

12. WORKSHOPS FOR CLAS MAJORS: Below is the list of workshops for majors in
Liberal Arts and Sciences this semester. All are held in the Career Resource
Center, 1st floor Reitz Union. How Do I Use My LAS Degree to Get a Job in
Business? Tuesday, September 30th @ 4:05 pm; I'm an LAS Major...What Are My
Career Options? Tuesday, October 7th @ 4:05 pm; I'm an LAS Major...How Do I
Conduct a Successful Job Search? Tuesday, October 14th @ 4:05 pm; Careers in
the Non Profit Industry (Employer Workshop) Thursday, October 23rd @ 6 pm;
I'm an LAS Major...What Are My Career Options in Government? Tuesday,
October 28 @ 4:05 pm; I'm a Sociology Major...What Are My Career Options?
Tuesday, November 4th @ 4:05 pm; I'm a Psychology Major...What Are My Career
Options?Tuesday, November 11th @ 4:05 pm; I'm an LAS Major...What Are My
Career Options in the Non Profit Industry? Tuesday, November 19th @ 4:05 pm;
I'm a History Major...What Are My Career Options? Tuesday, December 2nd @
4:05 pm; I'm Majoring in a Foreign Language...What Are My Career Options?
Thursday, December 4th @ 4:05 pm.
13. NTOZAKE SHANGE READS FROM HER NEW NOVEL: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 1:00
PM. Ntozake Shange returns to Wild Iris Books
to read from her soon to be published novel, How I Come by This Cryin' Song.
Renowned poet, playwright and author, Ntozake Shange's works include for
colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf,
which won the Obie Award for Best Drama, as well as Float Like a Butterfly,
Daddy Says, and numerous other plays, novels, and poetry
collections.  Ntozake Shange's new choreopoem is Lavender Lizards & Lilac
Landmines.  She holds an appointment in the African American Studies
Program and The Center for Women's Studies and Gender Research at the
University of Florida. Wild Iris Books A Store with Book Sense, 802 W.
University Ave.
Gainesville. Tel 352/375-7477; [log in to unmask]

14. MAKE A MAJOR DECISION: Are you undecided on a major? Are you in the
wrong major for you? Do you want ideas on how to explore or confirm a major?
Do you want to make yourself stand out from the crowd? Then you should
attend... Make A Major Decision: Wednesday September 24th, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00
p.m.
College representatives will be there from 6:30 pm to 7 pm, and the formal
program begins at 7 pm in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom. Exploratory and
haven't chosen a major? Here's your opportunity to hear from other students
about how to go about making that 'major' decision. Attend breakout sessions
designed to help you in the decision making process, and find out about how
to enhance your undergraduate experience. Sessions include workshops on
study abroad opportunities, volunteer opportunities, internships, health
professions, business careers and, of course, choosing a major and
information about UF's undergraduate research opportunities. For more
information, visit <http://www.advising.ufl.edu/undecided/announce.html>.
Sponsored by the Academic Advising Center and the Student Honors
Organization.
15. Named for Nobel Prize winner Elie Wiesel, the Wiesel Prize in Ethics
Essay Contest is an annual competition that is designed to challenge college
students to analyze the urgent ethical issues confronting them in today's
complex world.  Full-time undergraduate juniors and seniors in the US are
welcome to enter the 2004 Essay Contest.  Students are encouraged to raise
questions, single out issues and identify dilemmas in thought-provoking,
personal essays not to exceed 4,000 words. Essays must be the original,
unpublished work of the student and only one essay per student per contest
year may be submitted.  Entries must be postmarked on or before Friday,
December 5, 2003.  The prizes are as follows: 1st   $5000, 2nd  $2,500, 3rd
$1500, Two Honorable Mentions  $500 each.  See link for more details.
(Please note you need a faculty sponsor to support your application.)
www.eliewieselfoundation.org <http://www.eliewieselfoundation.org>

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>