Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:45:46 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Friday, January 17, 2003

Topics:

1. Dr Drummond's hours in Hume for advising
2. CHI ALPHA Christian Fellowship Meeting
3. Sharpen Your Interview Skills
4. RECURSO Presents its " Annual International Food Festival"
5. Writing on the Wall
6. Narrative Medicine Speaker Series
7. Honors Book Club Meeting
8. Having Trouble Finding a Major?
9. University Scholars Program

Details:

1. DR. DRUMMOND will be in Hume for advising during the following hours:
Room 120, MWF 3:00-4:30pm. Stop by if you want help or just feel like
chatting.

2. CHI ALPHA CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP MEETING: Not a Christian, but have
questions about Christianity?  Looking for a place to connect with other
believers and/or get involved in weekly Bible studies?  Why not check out
Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship this Friday (today) at 7:15 p.m. in room 349
of the Reitz?

The ministry of Chi Alpha (Greek initials of "Christ's Ambassadors") offers
students the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of Christianity, grow in
the faith, and make meaningful friendships.  We believe in the sovereignty
of Jesus Christ as Lord, and our meetings include time for prayer, praise,
and a message from the Bible.  Please e-mail our campus pastor, Steve
Michaels, at [log in to unmask] with any questions you have about the
fellowship.

3. SHARPEN YOUR INTERVEW SKILLS: Would you like to improve your interviewing
skills?  Need to prepare for an upcoming interview?  Want to learn how to
best market yourself at Showcase?
The University of Florida Career Resource Center will be
conducting a one-day Interviewing Conference (a free service
provided to University of Florida students and alumni) in
conjunction with the SMILE (Sharpening My Interviewing to
Lure Employment) Program.

The SMILE Interviewing Conference will take place on Saturday, January 25,
2003 from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm in the Reitz Union. Practice and preparation are
essential for interview success and the SMILE Conference recognizes the
importance of actively engaging students in the art of interviewing. If
you'd like to participate in this fun, interactive conference, please refer
to the SMILE web page at
http://www.crc.ufl.edu/smile  Deadline to register is Wednesday, January 22
at 5:00. If you have any questions relating to the SMILE Conference,please
contact a SMILE Conference Committee Member: Email:  [log in to unmask]
Phone:  392-1601 ext. 210

(There are only a few spaces left for this very useful workshop, so if you
are interested, go on line asap and sign up.)

4. RECURSO Presents its " Annual International Food Festival"
Saturday January 18, 2003 at Club Eden
from 5:30-9:00pm.
Tickets are ONLY $ 7 at the door

Come and Experience a Night Full of Flavor!
Introducing Orlando's Most Renowned DJ
" X Conn", Spinning the hottest in Reggae, Salsa,
Hip-Hop and so much more...
With Special performances by CARIBSA, Hip Hop Collective,
The Dominican Student Association, and Salsa Caliente

RECURSO, is a non-profit organization that garners donations
in terms of money, clothes, food, and medicine for children in
third world countries who suffer from cancer, AIDS, and malnutrition.
For more information on RECURSO please email [log in to unmask]

5. WRITING ON THE WALL: Writing on the Wall Block Painting Event
Monday, 1/20, 4-8pm, Broward Hall Basement Come paint a block for the
Writing on the Wall Project!  We are building a Wall of Oppression, a
physical representation of the barriers that exist in society, and then
tearing it down in a community-wide,
consciousness-raising event.  We need you to paint the blocks with
examples of discrimination and oppression so that everyone can see the
Writing on the Wall.  For info contact [log in to unmask]

6. The College of Medicine Narrative Medicine Speaker
Series is pleased to present
Dr. Leighton Cluff speaking On
"The Lost Art of Caring"
Tuesday, January 21, noon in C1-17(Communicore
Building in the Health Science Center)
Dr Cluff worked on>public health projects in developing countries, and
served as a consultant for the WHO, FDA, Department of
State, and NIH, as well as for the Defense Department
on Bioterrorism issues.   He is a member of the
National Academy of Sciences and has edited ten books,
books on long term care, home care, and,
most recently, on crises in the physician-patient
relationship that he defines as the Lost Art of
Caring.

7. HONORS BOOKCLUB MEETING: There will be an Honors Book Club meeting on
THURSDAY JANUARY 23, 2003 AT 7:30pm. We're reading Slaughterhouse Five by
Kurt Vonnegut.  If you haven't read the book yet, don't worry.  The book is
short and easy to read and can be found at most bookstores throughout
Gainesville.  Buy a copy when shopping for textbooks!!  Anyone who has read
the book is welcome.
At the meeting we will be discussing various aspects of the book, but most
prominent is the question: "Is Billy Pilgrim sane or insane?"  Once you have
read the book, you're sure to have an opinion on the matter.  Come out to
the meeting, have some hot chocolate, and debate your opinion regarding
Billy Pilgrim and the book!!

8. HAVING TROUBLE FINDING A MAJOR? Attention Freshman & Sophomore Honors
Students!! Are you having difficulty choosing a major? Join other honors
students struggling with major or career decisions in a fun, interactive
group. For the first time, the Career Resource Center is offering an
exclusive section of its traditional 'Beyond Undecided' career group for
honors students only. The group meets four times throughout the semester on
Mondays 12:30 pm -2:00 pm and will begin February 17, 2003. If you are
interested, please contact the Career Resource Center or Lauren Pasquarella
Daley at [log in to unmask], 392-1601 x470 .

9. UNIVERSITY SCHOLARS PROGRAM: Just a heads up that this year's deadline is
March 3. We will post more info on this terrific program shortly that
involves undergrads in one-on-one research with faculty in the summer and
provides a stip end. Meantime check out the website at www.scholars.ufl.edu

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)
and put the name of the event in the subject line.