Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 10-07-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:52:31 -0400

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range
from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, e-mail
several days before the event. Please put the date and name of the event in
the subject line (may be abbreviated).

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, October 7, 2003

Topics:

1. Spring Registration
2. Presidential Search
3. Not-A-Cutout Project
4. SoulFest 2003
5. Women's Leadership Conference Speakers Needed
6. University Symphony Orchestra Concert
7. The UF Campus American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Meeting (TODAY)
8. National Science Foundation Scholarship Workshop (Seniors) (TODAY)
9. STOP CANCER-Alpha Epsilon Delta Forum
10. Florida Women in Business (TODAY)
11. Art of Student Leadership Conference
12. Blood Drive this Week
13. Another internship opportunity in DC in the spring (Georgetown
University)

Details:

1. Spring Registration: Registration for Honors courses will be Thursday and
Friday Oct. 23 and 24. Regular registration will begin the following week.
We will have the Honors course booklet on the web by Friday October 17. You
can find it at www.honors.ufl.edu  Click on Courses. You should shortly
receive an e-mail (if you haven't already) telling you to go to ISIS to find
when your regular registration time is.

2. PRESIDENTIAL SEARCH: It is not very often that UF gets a new President.
Today and tomorrow the Search Committee will be conducting interviews at the
Hilton University Conference Center on at 1714 SW 34th St. These interviews
will be web-cast in real time (for the address go to www.ufl.edu ) and will
be open to the public. The committee will select finalists on late Tuesday
afternoon.  Finalists will be interviewed by the trustees, and they will
hold a number of fora with faculty, students, community members, alums on
Wednesday.  The Board of Trustees will make a final decision on late
Wednesday afternoon. The following URL is the best way to find information
on the search: http://www.trustees.ufl.edu/presidentialsearch/
The student, alum and community forums will be held in the Cedar Room on
Wednesday.  It would be nice to have as many students as possible
participate. You can come and go and don't need to stay the whole time.

3. NOT-A-CUTOUT PROJECT: This week is National Coming Out Week, and Saturday
October eleventh is
National Coming Out Day.  Since 1987 the National Coming Out Project has
been increasing the visibility of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender
people.  This year Gator Gay-Straight Alliance is adding visibility of
another kind - stereotypes, working to challenge the notion that all gay
people are the same.  The Not-A-Cutout project addresses popular stereotypes
of gay and lesbian people, and questions gender stereotypes.  See if you can
find all five cutout couples we have placed around campus. When you meet
one, get to know the individual cutouts beyond their gender and sexual
orientation labels.  For more information visit:
http://www.gatorgsa.org/notacutout/

4. SOULFEST 2003: Don't miss out on your chance to be a part of one of the
most progressive
Homecoming events that UF has to offer...Participant Applications for
SOULFEST 2003 are due on FRIDAY, OCTOBER 10 by 5:00pm in the Florida Blue
Key office, located on the third floor of the J.W. Reitz Union!
We are looking for creative and entertaining individual or group
performances to add to the diversity and excitement of SoulFest.
Applications are available in the Florida Blue Key office, the IBC,
LaCasita, and the Dean of Students Office.

5. WOMEN'S LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE SPEAKERS NEEDED: Are you a dynamic public
speaker? Do you like facilitating interactive, innovative workshops? The
Women's Leadership Council is looking for
presenters for the 17th Annual Women's Leadership Conference on February
8th 2004. We are looking for Professors, faculty, and students to share
their knowledge at the Conference. If you are interested, please contact
Leah Zissimopulos at [log in to unmask] or 352-514-5733. Thank you in advance for
your contributions!

6.  UNIVERSITY SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA: University symphony is celebrating UF's
Sesquicentennial on a grand
symphonic scale on Thursday, October 9, in the University Auditorium at
8:00pm. Featured soloist is Laura Ellis, newly-appointed university
organist, the conductor is Raymond Chobaz. The orchestra will feature pieces
by Elgar, Handel, and Walton along with Actor Gregory Jones as Henry V.
Admission is free.  It is advised to come early.

7. The UF Campus American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) will be holding an
open discussion on LGBT issues at our meeting this Tuesday, Oct. 7, at 6pm
in room B70 of the Reitz Union. We would like to promote awareness of the
LGBT community, as well as "National Coming Out Week," which kicks off this
Monday, Oct. 6. Please bring any ideas, suggestions or comments you may have
with regards to the LGBT equality on our campus and in our nation today. As
usual, everyone is welcome! And remember, the ACLU is here to defend your
Bill of Rights!  Tiffani Velez, CACLU Treasurer, [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

8. NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION(NSF)GRADUATE FELLOWSHIP WORKSHOP: Get into
graduate school, work for your favorite Nobel prize winner, get paid well to
do this AND travel to Europe?  Pick the brains of an expert, Prof. Randy
Duran from the Chemistry Department. Tuesday, October 7, 6:00 PM, 119 Hume
Hall. Pizza for the first thirty participants.

Prof. Randy Duran from the Chemistry Department is a veritable expert on
these awards.  Currently he has one graduate student winner on the NSF
Graduate Fellowship in his research group and has had three undergrads from
his research group win the award, as well as about winners through the REU
Sites he direct.  He also has had extensive interaction with NSF staff on
what it takes "to be successful" in this competition. Application deadlines
are  November 4, 2003 for Life Sciences, Physics and Astronomy; November 5,
2003 for Engineering, Mathematical Sciences, Geosciences; November 6, 2003
for Social Sciences, Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering,
Psychology, Chemistry. For info on these scholarships go to
http://www.orau.org/nsf/nsffel.htm

9.  STOP CANCER-Alpha Epsilon Delta is hosting a Cancer Forum on Saturday,
Oct. 11, 2003 from 10am to 12pm. The forum will be held in the Reitz Union
3rd floor. We will be having a men's and women's room and there will be 2
doctors and a cancer survivor in each room. They will discuss cancer
prevention, awareness, who's at high risk, what we can do starting today to
prevent cancer, and what do if you think something is wrong. We will also
have a question and answer session, where you can ask individual questions
to the doctors and survivors. The Cancer Forum is free to the public. Please
come out and join us!!!

10. FLORIDA WOMEN IN BUSINESS will be meeting on Tuesday, October 7th at
6:15 pm in MAT 105. This is a growing organization on campus that offers
lots of wonderful opportunities. This is not limited to business students,
women from all majors are welcome to attend! For more info check out the
website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~fwib or email [log in to unmask] .

11. ART OF LEADERSHIP STUDENT CONFERENCE: The Art of Leadership is a popular
annual event which provides a unique opportunity for all University of
Florida students to explore their own leadership skills, develop new
techniques for leading organizations, and discover leadership opportunities
on campus. Participants will get a chance to meet and network with fellow
student leaders and advisors, as well as attend interactive workshops with
great facilitators.  Conference attendees will receive a certificate of
participation and a special gift. Refreshments will also be provided.  This
event, which is free to all students, will be held Sunday, October 12 from
noon to 5 p.m. at the Reitz Union.   AOL is sponsored by the Coca Cola
Bottling Company and is organized by the Division of Student Affairs.   To
register, go to www.crc.ufl.edu/aol. (This is a great opportunity to hone
your leadership skills.)

12. BLOODDRIVE THIS WEEK: Starting this week Oct. 6 through Thurs. Oct 16,
the largest campus blood drive in the southeast will take place at UF. It is
the Greek Week blood drive and we want to really spread the word to students
to donate blood. Our community is in need, and students provide 35% of our
community's blood supply. We will have bloodmobiles at Turlington and behind
the Hub from 9am-4pm. For a full schedule, look in this week's Alligator. In
the evenings, we will be bringing the bloodmobile to different sororities
and fraternities. For more information or to volunteer call Katryna Beaupre
(352) 334-1062 or email [log in to unmask] .

13. Want to INTERN in Washington, DC Next Spring? Capital Semester is an
academic and internship program that offers undergrads hands-on work
experience, classes for Georgetown University credit and a unique networking
advantage in the public policy arena.  Check out the web site and apply
online at www.dcinternships.org.  Application deadline is November 1st.
Capital Semester students live and take classes together (for Georgetown
University credit) in the residential building owned by the Heritage
Foundation for students on Capitol Hill. Intern with federal agencies, media
outlets, Congressional offices, foreign embassies, trade associations,
political organizations, policy groups and corporate lobbying offices.
Participate in weekly lectures and take classes for a total of 12
transferable credits from Georgetown University.
Attend site briefings at the White House, U.S. House of Representatives and
State Department.
This is a great package program in that it finds your internship, registers
you for classes and sets up housing.
Cost is comparable or less than one semester of tuition.  Generous
scholarships are available based on merit and need!!!!!!
Visit www.dcinternships.org to apply online.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>