Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:14:28 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Topics:

1. ARTES Meeting and Jam session
2. Service Ambassadors: New Member Recruitment
3. BAMSA (Biracial and Multiracial Student) Association Meeting
4. College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Council Meeting
5. A New Study Abroad Opportunity: UF in Barcelona (spring break)
6. Florida Engineering Society Meeting

7. Islam on Campus Food Drive

8. University Scholars Program

Details:

1. ARTES (Artists Radiating Therapeutic Endeavors for Service), an
organization that performs at nursing homes, detention centers, homeless
shelters, youth groups, etc., will be having a meeting/jam session on
Thursday, January 23rd at 7:00 PM in the Music Building, Room 120. Bring a
friend and find out how you can expand and share your talents (musical,
visual, dramatic, poetic) with the community! If possible, please bring any
music/instruments/poetry with you to the meeting. For more information
contact Marcia at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
2. SERVICE AMBASSADORS: NEW MEMBER RECRUITMENT:  Applications for membership
are available at the Office of Student Activities, room 330 of the Reitz
Union. Applications are due Friday, January 24, 2003 by 5:00 pm to the
Office of Student Activities, located on the third floor of the Reitz Union.
Interviews will be held January 27-30, and new members will be notified
Monday, February 3, 2003. Service Ambassadors is a group of trained
consultants who teach individuals and organizations to prepare and
facilitate a more meaningful service experience. We use workshops and
leadership development events to provide guidance to the University of
Florida students and community partners. Service Ambassadors are expected to
be students that represent various fields of service individually. As a
group we are committed to completing one service project per month. All new
members will be required to attend a new member retreat, February 7 and 8.
For more information or questions, email us: [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]">http:[log in to unmask]> or
call the Office of Community Service 392-7872.
3. THE BIRACIAL AND MULTIRACIAL STUDENT ASSOCIATION (BAMSA)will hold its
first meeting of the Spring this Tuesday, January 21st from 7:30-8:30 pm at
the Institute of Black Culture, room 104. We will hold a snack
potluck--everyone bring a small snack and we'll all share! Mingle with UF
students while enjoying music, food, and fun. Meet the new BAMSA executive
board, help paint bricks for the PAW "Writing on the Wall" Project, and
learn about the exciting events that you can participate in with BAMSA. Syki
Duong,President, Biracial and Multiracial Student Association [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
4. CLASSC MEETING:  For those who may not already know, the College of
Liberal Arts & Sciences Student Council (CLASSC) represents the highest
number of students out of all the college councils here @ the University of
Florida. Our council aims to serve the needs of students within the college
while also funding organizations that have pertinence to CLAS majors.
Because of CLASSC, large-scale, positive changes have been made such as
majors listed on diplomas (last year). CLASSC would appreciate your support
by simply attending the next meeting to have a say in electing the next Vice
President: all students who are CLAS majors are eligible to run. The meeting
will take place on January 22 @ 7 PM in the Reitz Union - Room 357. Thank
you for your help, and we appreciate your interest in changing the future of
this college council.Aaron Fox,CLASSC Executive-At-Large, Office Hours: AAC
119, Fri 7th, grove.ufl.edu/classc, [log in to unmask]

5. A NEW STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITY: UF IN BARCELONA. Spring Break 2003 (March
8-16)

 ***** INFORMATION MEETING: Thursday, January 23, 4 PM. Dauer 240-A ******

Catalonia: Center and Periphery
CAT 4956** / SPN 4956*
(1 credit )

Travel to Catalonia and its capitol, Barcelona, and get to know one of the
oldest and most vital cultures in Europe.

Projected visits and topics:

- Lectures by local experts on the history and culture of Catalonia
- Guided tour of 12th and 13th century Barcelona
- Romanesque and Gothic Art
- The architecture of Antoni Gaudí, the Picasso Museum
- Fishing village on the Costa Brava
- Traditional open air market in Vic
- Catalan cuisine in local restaurants
- Politics and the relationship between Catalonia and Spain, in the
framework of the European Union
- Immigration and integration in contemporary Catalonia
- Optional F.C. Barcelona soccer game

*To sign up for SPN 4956, students must have completed SPN 3300
or SPN 3350 or its equivalent. SPN 4956 counts toward the
Spanish major or minor.
** Students without the SPN prerequisite will sign up for CAT 4956,
which does not count toward the Spanish major.  All lectures
and readings will be in English or translation will be provided.

Led by Geraldine Nichols, Prof. of Spanish at UF, and Antoni Castells,
Catalan instructor

Approximate cost (incl. housing, some meals, museum fees, transportation
in Catalonia, UFIC fees): $1000>Not included: tuition (c. $85) and roundtrip
airfare to Barcelona (c. $750)

6. FLORIDA ENGINEERING SOCIETY GENERAL MEETING with a presentation by Rick
Sayers from the Career Resource Center
Wednesday, January 29, 2002
Weil Hall, Room 270
6:30pm-8:00pm
FREE FOOD AND DRINKS!

-Network with your peers
-Participate in activities such as FES Golf Tournament, middle/high school
engineering design competition
-Gear up for Career Showcase the following week!

Following tradition, we will elect our President for next year at the next
meeting so he or she may learn during Spring with the current officers.
Help shape our future.Don't hesitate to emai us with any questions/comments.
Daryush Mehta, President, FES, UF Student Chapter, 280 Weil Hall
352-392-0964 [log in to unmask]  http://grove.ufl.edu/~uffes

7. ISLAM ON CAMPUS:. Bring all clothes and canned food!!! We will be holding
a drive during the month of February. You may drop off all items on the
third floor of the Reitz Union in the Islam on Campus Office. Thank and
please remember all the needy people struggling at this time of year.
questions??? [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
8. UNIVERSITY SCHOLARS PROGRAM: Just a heads up that this year's deadline is
March 3. We will post more info on this terrific program shortly that
involves undergrads in one-on-one research with faculty in the summer and
provides a stip end. Meantime check out the website at www.scholars.ufl.edu

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)
and put the name of the event in the subject line.