Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 10-09-03
From: "Mastrodicasa, Jeanna" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:55:00 -0400

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range
from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, e-mail
several days before the event. Please put the date and name of the event in
the subject line (may be abbreviated).

Jeanna Mastrodicasa will be authoring the daily list for the next week with
Dr. Dickison out of town.

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Thursday, October 9, 2003

Topics:

1. Spring Registration
2. NEW University of Florida President
3. Not-A-Cutout Project
4. Gator Wakefest
5. Women's Leadership Conference Speakers Needed
6. University Symphony Orchestra Concert (TODAY)
7. Undergraduate Women in Science (TODAY)
8. STOP CANCER-Alpha Epsilon Delta Forum
9. Fund Raiser for Habitat for Humanity
10. Blood Drive this Week
11. Another internship opportunity in DC in the spring (Georgetown
University)
12.  Student Affairs seeks your input
13.  Rate your professors (starts Sunday)
14.  New Years Ski with TRiP
15. Chi Alpha

Details:

1. SPRING REGISTRATION: Registration for Honors courses will be Thursday and
Friday Oct. 23 and 24. Regular registration will begin the following week.
We will have the Honors course booklet on the web by Friday October 17. You
can find it at www.honors.ufl.edu  Click on Courses. You should shortly
receive an e-mail (if you haven't already) telling you to go to ISIS to find
when your regular registration time is.

2. NEW UF PRESIDENT: The University of Florida has selected a new university
president, Dr. Bernie Machen.  If you go to www.ufl.edu you can click on
information about our new president and even watch the video archive of his
interview.  He will begin at UF in January.  The Alligator has some good
coverage of Dr. Machen as does the Gainesville Sun.

(Jeanna's commentary:  A friend of mine who used to work with Dr. Machen at
the University of Utah sent me an email last night which says:  "I'm not
sure how involved in the search you may have been
but I want to let you know you made a great choice.  He is by far the best
President or campus leader that I have ever worked for.  He is articulate
and incredibly intelligent, cares deeply about students and a real
mover.  He will definitely take UF in the direction that it wants to
go!  On top of all this he is very personable and down to earth.  Chris,
his wife, is also a wonderful asset.  I am happy for you all but sad to see
him leave the University of Utah.  He did many great things in his tenure
there.")

3. NOT-A-CUTOUT PROJECT: This week is National Coming Out Week, and Saturday
October eleventh is
National Coming Out Day.  Since 1987 the National Coming Out Project has
been increasing the visibility of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender
people.  This year Gator Gay-Straight Alliance is adding visibility of
another kind - stereotypes, working to challenge the notion that all gay
people are the same.  The Not-A-Cutout project addresses popular stereotypes
of gay and lesbian people, and questions gender stereotypes.  See if you can
find all five cutout couples we have placed around campus. When you meet
one, get to know the individual cutouts beyond their gender and sexual
orientation labels.  For more information visit:
http://www.gatorgsa.org/notacutout/

4. GATOR WAKEFEST is an annual event put on by the Gator Wake and Ski Club
being held Saturday October 11th from 9a.m. to 5p.m. at Lake Wauburg South
Park. It is a full day of wakeboarding, live music, food, and sun. Anyone
can ride behind one of our boats for free but donations are greatly
appreciated as the event is rather expensive. Also available are Gator
Wakefest T-shirts. All skill levels are welcome as this is not a tournament,
but a festival, so just ride for fun or learn to ride for the first time. In
addition to riding there will be live bands featuring Star Sixty Nine, Hey
Nice Guy, One Perfect Minute, One Day Old, From Pandora and others. Also, we
will be having a silent auction featuring wakeboarding gear and apparel. If
nothing else come out, socialize, and get a tan while watching great
wakeboarding from the National Collegiate Champions. Again, everyone can
ride, all skill levels.  For more information or directions go to
http://grove.ufl.edu/~gatorski/ or email [log in to unmask] See you out
there!

5. WOMEN'S LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE SPEAKERS NEEDED: Are you a dynamic public
speaker? Do you like facilitating interactive, innovative workshops? The
Women's Leadership Council is looking for
presenters for the 17th Annual Women's Leadership Conference on February
8th 2004. We are looking for Professors, faculty, and students to share
their knowledge at the Conference. If you are interested, please contact
Leah Zissimopulos at [log in to unmask] or 352-514-5733. Thank you in advance for
your contributions!

6.  UNIVERSITY SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA (TODAY): University symphony is
celebrating UF's
Sesquicentennial on a grand symphonic scale on Thursday, October 9, in the
University Auditorium at
8:00pm. Featured soloist is Laura Ellis, newly-appointed university
organist, the conductor is Raymond Chobaz. The orchestra will feature pieces
by Elgar, Handel, and Walton along with Actor Gregory Jones as Henry V.
Admission is free.  It is advised to come early.

7.  UNDERGRADUATE WOMEN IN SCIENCE (TODAY)- Come join the Undergraduate
Women
in Science at the Cold Stone Creamery on Newberry Rd. this
Thursday October 9 at 6:00pm for an ice cream social!  Meet the
lovely ladies of UWIS, have some ice cream, and help us raise some
money.  UWIS is a social organization aimed at keeping women
interested in the sciences and giving us a chance to see familiar
faces in our classes.  Join us and find out what we are all about!
For further information contact Stacie at [log in to unmask]

8.  STOP CANCER-Alpha Epsilon Delta is hosting a Cancer Forum on Saturday,
Oct. 11, 2003 from 10am to 12pm. The forum will be held in the Reitz Union
3rd floor. We will be having a men's and women's room and there will be 2
doctors and a cancer survivor in each room. They will discuss cancer
prevention, awareness, who's at high risk, what we can do starting today to
prevent cancer, and what do if you think something is wrong. We will also
have a question and answer session, where you can ask individual questions
to the doctors and survivors. The Cancer Forum is free to the public. Please
come out and join us!!!

9. HABITAT FOR HUMANITY FUNDRAISER: On October 11th the 4th Annual Hustle
for Humanity will be hosted by UF
Habitat for Humanity. This 4-mile walk/run begins at 8:00am outside the
Brain Institute of Shands, and is great for serious runners, walkers, or
people who just want to contribute to a wonderful cause. The challenging and
fun course runs throughout the UF campus. It takes you by familiar spots
like Turlington and Norman Halls, but also winds its way over hills and
through
wooded trails on campus. By participating in this race you will help raise
money to build affordable housing for deserving families in Alachua County.
Registration for the race is FREE for students, but a commemorative race
shirt costs $12 if you register before September 27th and $15 if you
register after the 27th. An application is available online at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~habitat or http://www.citrusroadrunners.org.

10. BLOODDRIVE THIS WEEK: Starting this week Oct. 6 through Thurs. Oct 16,
the largest campus blood drive in the southeast will take place at UF. It is
the Greek Week blood drive and we want to really spread the word to students
to donate blood. Our community is in need, and students provide 35% of our
community's blood supply. We will have bloodmobiles at Turlington and behind
the Hub from 9am-4pm. For a full schedule, look in this week's Alligator. In
the evenings, we will be bringing the bloodmobile to different sororities
and fraternities. For more information or to volunteer call Katryna Beaupre
(352) 334-1062 or email [log in to unmask] .

11. Want to INTERN in Washington, DC this Spring? Capital Semester is an
academic and internship program that offers undergrads hands-on work
experience, classes for Georgetown University credit and a unique networking
advantage in the public policy arena.  Check out the web site and apply
online at www.dcinternships.org.  Application deadline is November 1st.
Capital Semester students live and take classes together (for Georgetown
University credit) in the residential building owned by the Heritage
Foundation for students on Capitol Hill. Intern with federal agencies, media
outlets, Congressional offices, foreign embassies, trade associations,
political organizations, policy groups and corporate lobbying offices.
Participate in weekly lectures and take classes for a total of 12
transferable credits from Georgetown University.
Attend site briefings at the White House, U.S. House of Representatives and
State Department.
This is a great package program in that it finds your internship, registers
you for classes and sets up housing.
Cost is comparable or less than one semester of tuition.  Generous
scholarships are available based on merit and need!!!!!!
Visit www.dcinternships.org to apply online.

12.  STUDENT AFFAIRS SEEKS YOUR INPUT:  The University of Florida Division
of Student Affairs is conducting a survey
as part of our strategic planning process. As a student you may encounter or
know of problems or situations which, if the resources or programs were
available, could assist students.  This is your opportunity to identify and
give input into programs or services that will help make students successful
while at the University of Florida.  Please follow this link to fill out the
five-question survey:  http://www.ufsa.ufl.edu/ovp/strategicplan/stuprogs/
Please respond by Friday, October 10.

13.  RATE YOUR PROFESSORS-  Would you like to know a little more about
the classes you're planning on taking next semester?  Do you wish
you could find out which professors you want and which you'll want
to avoid?  Do you realize that early registration for next
semester begins October 23rd??! Beginning Sunday, October 12th,
get a survey from Hume Commons (or from the lounge on your floor
if you live in Hume), fill it out, and place it in one of the
return envelopes on each floor and in the Commons.  Then come out
to Hume Commons on October 21st to read what other students had to
say!

14.  NEW YEARS SKI with TRiP!  We are at it again, this time we are hitting
the slopes of Copper Mountain
Colorado from 12/29/03-1/03/04. Sign up by THIS FRIDAY 10/10/03 for the
early bird price of $925 for students and $975 for non-students, other group
discounts apply, ask when you sign up! Rentals and food are your
responsibility, but the trip price includes roundtrip, direct airfare from
Orlando to Denver on Frontier Airlines, 3 days of lift tix, and 5 nights
lodging at Copper Mountain  Resort. For information Email:
[log in to unmask] or call The Outfitter @ 846-3004.

15.   CHI ALPHA:  Chi Alpha's name comes from the Greek words "christou
apostoloi," translated "Christ's ambassadors."  Chi Alpha unashamedly loves
Jesus and exalts His name.  We encourage students to be reconciled to the
living God through acceptance of Jesus' self-sacrifice on the cross for our
sins and His resurrection from the dead.  Students are challenged to live
the abundant and fulfilling life that Jesus promised His followers would
have.  Come join us on Friday, Oct. 10 at 7:15 p.m. in the Reitz Union, room
349 for a meeting which includes prayer, a message from the Bible, and a
time of worship with our praise band.  Chi Alpha offers small-group prayer
and Bible studies throughout the week.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>