Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 10-15-03
From: "Mastrodicasa, Jeanna" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:37:19 -0400

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range
from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, e-mail
several days before the event. Please put the date and name of the event in
the subject line (may be abbreviated).

Jeanna Mastrodicasa will be authoring the daily list for the next week with
Dr. Dickison out of town.

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Topics:

1. Rate Your Professors
2. Helene Cixous (today)
3. Summer 2004 Moscow Russian Studies Program (today)
4. Info Session on Library West Closing
5.  Model UN Event (today)
6. SHO Community Service Fair
7. Children's Table Awareness Day
8. 2003 FAll Off-Campus Extravaganza
9. World Food Day
10.  Project H.O.M.E. (Helping Our Men Eat) (today)
11. Student Investment Club
12.  From the Academic Advising Center (new policy requiring Gator One card
and other tips)
13.  Teach for America info session
14.  Teaching English (ESL) classes volunteers needed
15.  Sex on the Lawn (today)
16.  Physical Therapy: Exercise Your Options 5K & 1 mile Fun Run
17.  Undergraduate Medical Humanities Club
18.  Tom DeLuca, Hypnotist on Friday night:  Jeanna's recommendation

Details:

1. RATE YOUR PROFESSORS-  Would you like to know a little more about the
classes you're planning on taking next semester?  Do you wish you could find
out which professors you want and which you'll want to avoid?  Do you
realize that Honors Course registration for next semester begins October
23rd??! Beginning Sunday, October 12th, get a survey from Hume Commons (or
from the lounge on your floor if you live in Hume), fill it out, and place
it in one of the return envelopes on each floor and in the Commons.  Then
come out to Hume Commons on October 21st to read what other students had to
say!

2.  HELENE CIXOUS (today):   Please announce to your colleagues and students
the upcoming visit of French literary scholar, feminist critic, author and
playwright, HELENE CIXOUS, to UF on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Oct. 13, 14,
15.
Her visit is sponsored by the FFRI, the Center for Women's Studies and
Gender Research, the Department of English, and the Institute for the
Psychological Study of the Arts. Details about Professor Cixous can be found
in the press release on the CLAS News and Publications webpage,
http://clasnews.clas.ufl.edu/press.shtml
 The remaining schedule of events is the following:

Wednesday, 3 - 5 p.m    Keene Faculty Center, 103 Dauer Hall
Oct. 15         Reading in French from "Les RÍveries de la Femme Sauvage"
Questions and Answers in French and in English, All events are free and open
to the public.  Merci!

3. UF FENCING CLUB:  (From Honors student Kelly Crandall):  This weekend the
UF Fencing Club will be holding its Orange & Blue Tournament, an interclub
scrimmage for foil, epee, and saber fencers.  Everyone is invited to come
watch!  The event will be held at the Gate 3 basketball court at the
O'Connell Center, between about 9am and 5pm, on Saturday, October 18.  For
more information, contact the club at [log in to unmask] or check out our
website.  En garde!

4. INFO SESSION on Library West Construction and Building Closing:
By the end of fall semester, the initial signs of construction -- a new
fence and the arrival of building materials - will be present at Library
West.  This is the first phase of a project to enlarge and renovate Library
West that will be completed in the spring of 2006.

In order to make the construction process as efficient as possible, THE
LIBRARY WEST BUILDING WILL CLOSE DURING CONSTRUCTION.  When the doors close
on December 24, they will not re-open until the renovated Library West is
completed.  While the building is closed, the staff will continue to provide
services and access to collections through the Marston Science Library and
the Smathers Library, as described on the following web page.
http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/pio/construction/Loc_Rel.htm

There are many rumors about the construction project and library services
available during the next two years.  We have a library construction web
page http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/pio/construction/ that provides up-to-date
information.  In addition, various members of the library staff and I will
be holding open information sessions to answer your questions.  These
sessions will be held on Wednesday afternoons at 2 p.m. in Marston Science
Library Room L107 beginning on October 15 and continuing each Wednesday
through fall semester.  I encourage you to attend.

5. MODEL UN EVENT (today):  The People Speak: Gainesville Debates America's
Role in the World:  On Wednesday, October 15, 2003 at 6:00 PM in The Reitz
Union Ballroom, The University of Florida International Center and The
University of Florida Model United Nations will sponsor a debate as part of
The People Speak: America Debates its Role in the World, a nationwide event.
Currently hundreds of student and community groups across the country are
holding debates focusing on U.S. foreign policy.  American foreign policy is
being hotly debated at home and abroad.  What's behind the controversies?
Are we heading on the right course?  Please join us to hear panelists from
the University of Florida Department of Political Science debate issues
including:
∑       Should the US use preemptive military force to stop the spread of
weapons
of mass destruction?
∑       Should America focus more on issues like the environment, poverty
and
health?
∑       Under what conditions should the US take part in military
interventions?
∑       Is America better off working with international institutions?
Audience participation will be encouraged during the question-and-answer
period following the formal debate. ***The People Speak: America Debates its
Role in the World is jointly funded
by the Open Society Institute, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, and the United
Nations Foundation, as part of their ongoing missions to support grassroots
community involvement in foreign policy.***

6.  SHO COMMUNITY SERVICE FAIR:  Looking for cool ways to get involved
around campus and in your community? Love animals?  Love kids?  We got it
all!  Come check out the many volunteeropportunities available this year at
the SHO Community Service Fair being held this Thursday (October 16) from
7:00pm until 9:00pm.  Come by Hume
Commons to see all the community service projects SHO is offering, ask
questions, sign up for events, and eat FREE PIZZA!  Help us kick off the
year and make an impact on our community.  Some projects include Haunted
Hume, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society projects, VA Hospital, St.
Francis House and much more!  For more information email

7.  CHILDREN'S TABLE AWARENESS DAY:  On Thursday October 16th, Golden Key
Honor Society will be sponsoring Children's Table Awareness Day, from 9:30-4
on the Reitz Union Colonnade.  Please stop by our table with a money
donation or canned
food to help feed needy families throughout North Central Florida.  While
donating, learn about this important organization, and find out how much you
contributions will help a family.

8.  2003 FALL OFF-CAMPUS EXTRAVAGANZA: On Wednesday, October 22, from 10:30
am - 3:30 pm.  The Fall Off-Campus showcase will be presented in a casual
atmosphere on the J. Wayne Reitz Union Lawn.  Get the chance to meet with
representatives from the best of Gainesville's apartment complexes and enjoy
free pizza, free coca-cola, giveaways, and have fun with the Kiss 105.3
Prize Wheel. This activity is brought to you by Student Government, the
Alligator, and Apartment Hunters.

9. WORLD FOOD DAY:  A worldwide teleconference concerning human insecurity
in African countries will be held October 16, 2003 from 12-3pm in McCarty D
Rm G-001.  The first hour experts in this subject area will speak.  The next
hour will be open discussion concerning the topics spoken during the first
hour.  These topics will focus on population, AIDS/HIV, agriculture, and
many other issues.  To assist with this hour we  supplementary materials
will be provided to stimulate discussion.  The third hour will give the
audience the chance to ask the experts questions.

10. Project H.O.M.E.  (Helping Our Men Eat) (today):  Interested in making a
difference in the Gainesville Community??  Want to make  an impact in other
peoples' lives? Project H.O.M.E. feels strongly about supporting those whom
are in need of assistance and focuses on providing food for the hungry and
homelss of the Gainesville community.  We will be conducting food pass outs,
blanket drive and much more.  Anyone who is interested come and join us at
our Information Session on Wednesday, October 15 at 5:30 p.m in the Office
of Admissions Conference Room (Criser Hall).

11. STUDENT INVESTMENT CLUB:  Free Food! Fun Games! Investment Challenge!
T-shirts! The Coolest People at UF!  Join the fun this Thursday at 7:20pm in
NEB 101. There will be talks on technical analysis, the numerous careers in
the field of finance, and other cutting edge topics. Also...FREE FOOD.
www.ufinvestmentclub.com

12.  FROM THE ACADEMIC ADVISING CENTER:  Dear Liberal Arts and Sciences
Student,It's time to get ready for registration for next semester.  First,
access "Registration Preparation Information" in ISIS (
http://www.isis.ufl.edu ) to:
see if you have any holds that will prevent you from registering,
review your degree audit to determine what courses you need for next
semester, and
identify your registration appointment.  Remember, appointments are assigned
based on credit hours earned and it's to your advantage to register at, or
soon after, your appointment time.

Below are four important tips for getting advice and minimizing waiting
times at the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Academic Advising Center
(CLAS AAC, 100 Fletcher Drive).

BRING YOUR ID.  To ensure the protection and confidentiality of your
records, the AAC will require students to present a picture ID to receive
advising services beginning October 13, 2003.
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.  During registration periods, students who come in
without an appointment (walk-ins) commonly wait anywhere between 30 to 60
minutes.  Students with appointments are typically seen within 5 minutes of
the scheduled time. You may schedule an appointment by calling 392-1521 x
100.  (If you are more than 5 minutes late for your appointment, you will be
added to the walk-in list .)
COME EARLY if you use the walk-in service.  As we get closer to the
beginning of registration (the first week of November), traffic will
increase steadily - generally, the sooner you come in, the shorter the wait.
Time of day also impacts waiting time:  you'll have a shorter wait if you
come in between 8:00 - 10:00 a.m. and a longer wait if you come in between
12:00 noon and 2:00 p.m.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE.  In some situations, the AAC may not
be able to help you.  If you have questions about major or minor
requirements, please go to that department for the information.  If you have
a hold, read the hold carefully to learn where you should go to resolve it
(not all holds are advising holds).

For additional information about how to best utilize our advising services
during registration, check out http://www.advising.ufl.edu/registration.html
.

13.  TEACH FOR AMERICA INFO SESSION: Don't know what you're doing after
graduation? Teach for America is looking for outstanding and civic-minded
graduating seniors of all academic majors to teach in twenty different urban
or rural areas for two years, in order to provide equal educational
opportunities for all of our nation's children.  Not only will corps members
make an immediate impact in the classroom, but they will gain the insight,
credibility and network needed in order to succeed in careers that are not
limited to education, such as journalism, public policy, law and medicine.
Please learn more at our info session on Wednesday, October 15th at 5 pm in
the Reitz Union auditorium (2nd floor), where you can meet with TJ McBryde,
the Southern Recruitment director.  Join us on Monday, October 20th, to see
first hand what Teach for America is all about:  a CNN screening will be
presented at 8:30 pm in the Reitz Union in room 287.
 Immediately access an application and learn more about corp members and
alumni at www.teachforamerica.org.
 Application deadlines are 10/24/03 and 2/15/04.  Interested in meeting with
the recruitment director to learn how you can become a lifelong advocate of
social change?  E-mail Katie at [log in to unmask]

14.   TEACHING ENGLISH(ESL) CLASSES VOLUNTEERS NEEDED... Interested in
teaching english!!! Get experience!! No experience necessary!! Training
provided by Professor of College of Education. Meeting  Sunday Oct. 19,2003
at 2:30 pm in Norman Hall Rm.  2411. For more information email

15.  SEX ON THE LAWN (today). Learn how to get some, safely.  Next
Wednesday, October 15, Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood
will be hosting a safe sex fair on the North Lawn from 10 am-3 pm.  SEXperts
will be there to answer any questions
and free, confidential HIV testing will be provided.  Come out and enjoy the
fun. There will be games, educational
materials, free food and free condoms!

16. PHYSICAL THERAPY: EXERCISE YOUR OPTIONS 5K AND 1 MILE FUN RUN:   In
support of National Physical Therapy Month.  Saturday October 18th, 2003 at
the University of Florida campus starting and finishing at the Commuter Lot
on North South Drive.  Begins at 7:15 A.M at the Commuter Lot on North-South
Drive.  Make checks Payable to Student Physical Therapy Association (SPTA).
$18 Race Day registration.  Awards will be given to top Male and Female age
group winners.  All proceeds will benefit physical therapy outreaches in
Nicaragua and the FPTA.

17.  UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL HUMANITIES CLUB:  The Undergraduate Medical
Humanities Club is holding our second meeting of the semester.  The
Undergraduate Humanities and Narrative Medicine Club is an exciting new
organization for students who are interested in the humane aspects of
medicine, medical training, and fostering the physician-patient
relationship.  We will be featuring an interactive discussion with a current
M.D./Ph.D student about medical ethics.  Also, come meet our new committee
members! The meeting is on Thursday, October 16th from 6:30-8:00 in Reitz
Union Room 349.  Refreshments provided.

18.  HYPNOTIST AT GATOR NIGHTS (Jeanna's recommendation):  On Friday night
at Gator Nights, Tom DeLuca the hypnotist will be there at 10 pm in the Rion
Ballroom.  I have seen this guy perform a few times before at other
universities and will tell you, THIS IS REAL!!  One funny story:  I went to
see Tom DeLuca when I worked at the University of Tennessee, and he
hypnotized this guy Cole I knew (Cole was a shy guy, a residence hall
director), and Tom told him that he would see through everyone's clothes.
So Cole is hypnotized on the stage and he is looking around in awe and
notices my friend Berri standing in the back, and he then gets terribly
embarrassed so he can't really look at her and yet he is yelling "hi Berri!"
and waving broadly and making a scene but still shading his eyes so he can't
see her naked.  Very hilarious.  Cole does not remember it whatsoever.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>