Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 10-16-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:50:58 -0400

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student. Opportunities listed range
from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, e-mail
several days before the event. Please put the date and name of the event in
the subject line (may be abbreviated).

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Thursday, October 16, 2003

Topics:

1. Registering for Honors Courses
2. UF Fencing Club
3. Education Majors: Network at Education Career Night
4. UF's Summer Program in Northern Italy
5. SHO Community Service Fair (TODAY)
6. Children's Table Awareness Day (TODAY)
7. 2003 FAll Off-Campus Extravaganza
8. World Food Day
9. Student Investment Club (TODAY)
10. Teach for America (seniors)
11. Teaching English (ESL) classes volunteers needed
12. Physical Therapy: Exercise Your Options 5K & 1 mile Fun Run
13. Undergraduate Medical Humanities Club (TODAY)
14. Tom DeLuca, Hypnotist on Friday night:  Jeanna's recommendation

Details:

1. THE HONORS SCHEDULE OF COURSES will be up on the web by late afternoon
today. Go to www.honors.ufl.edu Click on Courses. Please note that there
will be some changes before registration time. We will post them in this
same location. Students in their first three semesters at UF will be able to
register for an Honors course next Thursday (Oct. 23) and Friday (24th) from
8:00 am to 5:00 pm both days. After that you can add an Honors course when
you have regular registration.  Students beyond their 3rd semester will also
be able add an Honors course, if they wish, during regular registration.

Freshmen should note that you will be able to register yourself on ISIS
(provided you don't have a hold on your record). If you need directions take
a look at the hard copy Schedule of Courses that you can pick up in the
Registrar's Office in Criser. We may also have a few copies. If you haven't
done so, take a look at Registration Preparation at www.isis.ufl.edu (right
side of the page).

2. UF FENCING CLUB:  (From Honors student Kelly Crandall):  This weekend the
UF Fencing Club will be holding its Orange & Blue Tournament, an interclub
scrimmage for foil, epee, and saber fencers.  Everyone is invited to come
watch!  The event will be held at the Gate 3 basketball court at the
O'Connell Center, between about 9am and 5pm, on Saturday, October 18.  For
more information, contact the club at [log in to unmask] or check out our
website.  En garde.

3. EDUCATION MAJORS: Are you wondering about life in
the "real world?" Do you want to make valuable connections with
some of UF's most successful alumni from the College of Education?
Then come to Education Career Night to network for success! SAA
will be hosting this event Thursday October 23rd, at 7 pm in
Norman Hall Room G-400. A panel of College of Ed. alumni will be
present to speak about their experiences, and offer one-on-one
advice. Refreshments will be served. For more information contact
the UF Alumni Association at 392-9533.)

4. UF SUMMER PROGRAM IN NORTHERN ITALY: You are invited to attend a 30 min.
information session (with slides) about UF's Northern Italy Summer Program.
The program involves living and learning for one month in Venice and the
Italian Alps (June 12 - July 10, 2004). Students earn 6 credits in
Anthropology.
Meeting Time: 4:00 Oct. 17 (Friday)
Meeting Place: 471 Grinter Hall
Hope to see you there. Program director: Paul Magnarella

5.  SHO COMMUNITY SERVICE FAIR:  Looking for cool ways to get involved
around campus and in your community? Love animals?  Love kids?  We got it
all!  Come check out the many volunteer opportunities available this year at
the SHO Community Service Fair being held this Thursday (October 16) from
7:00pm until 9:00pm.  Come by Hume
Commons to see all the community service projects SHO is offering, ask
questions, sign up for events, and eat FREE PIZZA!  Help us kick off the
year and make an impact on our community.  Some projects include Haunted
Hume, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society projects, VA Hospital, St.
Francis House and much more!  For more information email

6.  CHILDREN'S TABLE AWARENESS DAY:  On Thursday October 16th, Golden Key
Honor Society will be sponsoring Children's Table Awareness Day, from 9:30-4
on the Reitz Union Colonnade.  Please stop by our table with a money
donation or canned
food to help feed needy families throughout North Central Florida.  While
donating, learn about this important organization, and find out how much you
contributions will help a family.

7.  2003 FALL OFF-CAMPUS EXTRAVAGANZA: On Wednesday, October 22, from 10:30
am - 3:30 pm.  The Fall Off-Campus showcase will be presented in a casual
atmosphere on the J. Wayne Reitz Union Lawn.  Get the chance to meet with
representatives from the best of Gainesville's apartment complexes and enjoy
free pizza, free coca-cola, giveaways, and have fun with the Kiss 105.3
Prize Wheel. This activity is brought to you by Student Government, the
Alligator, and Apartment Hunters.

8. WORLD FOOD DAY:  A worldwide teleconference concerning human insecurity
in African countries will be held October 16, 2003 from 12-3pm in McCarty D
Rm G-001.  The first hour experts in this subject area will speak.  The next
hour will be open discussion concerning the topics spoken during the first
hour.  These topics will focus on population, AIDS/HIV, agriculture, and
many other issues.  To assist with this hour we  supplementary materials
will be provided to stimulate discussion.  The third hour will give the
audience the chance to ask the experts questions.

9. STUDENT INVESTMENT CLUB:  Free Food! Fun Games! Investment Challenge!
T-shirts! The Coolest People at UF!  Join the fun this Thursday at 7:20pm in
NEB 101. There will be talks on technical analysis, the numerous careers in
the field of finance, and other cutting edge topics. Also...FREE FOOD.
www.ufinvestmentclub.com

10.  TEACH FOR AMERICA: Don't know what you're doing after
graduation? Teach for America is looking for outstanding and civic-minded
graduating seniors of all academic majors to teach in twenty different urban
or rural areas for two years, in order to provide equal educational
opportunities for all of our nation's children.  Not only will corps members
make an immediate impact in the classroom, but they will gain the insight,
credibility and network needed in order to succeed in careers that are not
limited to education, such as journalism, public policy, law and medicine.
Join us on Monday, October 20th, to see first hand what Teach for America is
all about:  a CNN screening will be
presented at 8:30 pm in the Reitz Union in room 287.
 Immediately access an application and learn more about corp members and
alumni at www.teachforamerica.org.
 Application deadlines are 10/24/03 and 2/15/04.  Interested in meeting with
the recruitment director to learn how you can become a lifelong advocate of
social change?  E-mail Katie at [log in to unmask]

(This is a great program for future leaders who do not end up teaching. The
best law and medical schools will give you a deferrment if you get accepted
into this highly competitive program. SKD).
11.   TEACHING ENGLISH(ESL) CLASSES VOLUNTEERS NEEDED... Interested in
teaching English!!! Get experience!! No experience necessary!! Training
provided by Professor of College of Education. Meeting  Sunday Oct. 19,2003
at 2:30 pm in Norman Hall Rm.  2411. For more information email

12. PHYSICAL THERAPY: EXERCISE YOUR OPTIONS 5K AND 1 MILE FUN RUN:   In
support of National Physical Therapy Month.  Saturday October 18th, 2003 at
the University of Florida campus starting and finishing at the Commuter Lot
on North South Drive.  Begins at 7:15 A.M at the Commuter Lot on North-South
Drive.  Make checks Payable to Student Physical Therapy Association (SPTA).
$18 Race Day registration.  Awards will be given to top Male and Female age
group winners.  All proceeds will benefit physical therapy outreaches in
Nicaragua and the FPTA.

13.  UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL HUMANITIES CLUB:  The Undergraduate Medical
Humanities Club is holding our second meeting of the semester.  The
Undergraduate Humanities and Narrative Medicine Club is an exciting new
organization for students who are interested in the humane aspects of
medicine, medical training, and fostering the physician-patient
relationship.  We will be featuring an interactive discussion with a current
M.D./Ph.D student about medical ethics.  Also, come meet our new committee
members! The meeting is on Thursday, October 16th from 6:30-8:00 in Reitz
Union Room 349.  Refreshments provided.

14.  HYPNOTIST AT GATOR NIGHTS (Jeanna's recommendation):  On Friday night
at Gator Nights, Tom DeLuca the hypnotist will be there at 10 pm in the Rion
Ballroom.  I have seen this guy perform a few times before at other
universities and will tell you, THIS IS REAL!!  One funny story:  I went to
see Tom DeLuca when I worked at the University of Tennessee, and he
hypnotized this guy Cole I knew (Cole was a shy guy, a residence hall
director), and Tom told him that he would see through everyone's clothes.
So Cole is hypnotized on the stage and he is looking around in awe and
notices my friend Berri standing in the back, and he then gets terribly
embarrassed so he can't really look at her and yet he is yelling "hi Berri!"
and waving broadly and making a scene but still shading his eyes so he can't
see her naked.  Very hilarious.  Cole does not remember it whatsoever.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>