Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 11-03-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:21:57 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student.  Opportunities listed
range from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, e-mail
several days before the event. Please put the date and name of the event in
the subject line (may be abbreviated).

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Monday, November 3, 2003

Topics:

1. RECURSO's Canned Food and Toy Drive
2. Eternal Treblinka Lecture
3. Be a Career Ambassador (info session TODAY)
4. CPR Certification Course
5. Siegel Sculpture Events
6. Student Health Outreach Team Meeting
7. Invention to Venture: A Workshop in Technology-Driven Entrepreneurship
8. Florida Women in Business
9. Some Vacancies for Males in Hume
10. CORRECTION: Internship Class (in conjunction with an area internship)
11. Apply for Gatorship Conference Today (Honors is Sponsoring Students)
12. Gator Growl Tickets
13. Mellon Scholarship (seniors)
14. Freshmen Merits: Pick Up Your Certificates
15. American Civil Liberties Union Meeting
16. Florida Honors Council Writing Competition

Details:
1. RECURSO is a non-profit student organization that raises awareness on
issues such as global development and poverty alleviation in underdeveloped
countries such as Nicaragua, Peru, Zimbabwe and Guatemala. Through a series
of events and fundraisers we seek to specifically assist children who suffer
from cancer aids and malnutrition in these countries. We would like your
organization to participate in helping us to feed these children. Recurso
will be having a food & toy drive to collect food for needy children in
these countries from Nov 3-21. We will be placing collection boxes: On the
3rd floor of the Reitz Union in the OCS office; La Casita; The Cabinet
Office; All of the Sorority Houses. We ask your organization to provide
donations of any non-perishable food items or toys to these drop off areas.
We will be picking the donations up on November 21. Please let me know if
your organization will be able to participate. You can contact me at
(407)484-7416 or [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Let me know if
there is anything I can do to help your organization get involved with the
food drive. For more information about Recurso, please visit
http://grove.ufl.edu/~recurso .

2. ETERNAL TREBLINKA LECTURE (Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust):
On Wednesday November 5 at 6:30 pm in the Rion Ballroom of the Reitz Union,
Animal Activists of Alachua will be hosting a presentation by historian and
Holocaust educator Dr. Charles Patterson, author of a book called Eternal
Treblinka. The book, which draws its title and inspiration from the writings
of the Nobel Prize winning Yiddish author Isaac Bashevis Singer, focuses on
the connections between Hitler's Final Solution and the industrialized
slaughter of animals (which kills approximately 10 billion cows, chickens,
and pigs each year in the U.S. alone).        Dr. Patterson will also be
holding a book signing of Eternal Treblinka on Tuesday Nov. 4 at 8pm at
Goerings Bookstore (Westgate location). Copies of the book are being sold at
the UF Bookstore in the Reitz and at Goerings. For more information please
visit www.animalactivists.org/patterson.htm or contact

3. BE A CAREER AMBASSADOR: The Career Resource Center is accepting
applications for the Career Ambassador program.  Students selected will
serve as peer advisors, conduct mock interviews and conduct outreach
presentations. Interested students should attend one of the information
sessions at the CRC:  Nov. 3 at 10am, Nov. 4 at 2 pm, Nov. 5 at 1 pm or
Nov. 6 at 11:40 pm For more information contact Helda Montero at 392-1601
x212 or [log in to unmask] Application deadline is Nov. 7 at 4 pm.
(This seems to me one of the best opportunities going. As a result of doing
this you will have the best looking resume, know how to interview etc. Go
for it!)

4. CPR CERTIFICATION COURSE: In honor of Brother Victor Correa Ortiz, the
Zeta Beta Chapter of Sigma
Lambda Beta International Fraternity Inc. will be holding a CPR
Certification course co-sponsored with the Student Health Care Center on
November 17th starting at 4 PM at Yon Hall (at the Swamp, between Gates 13
and 14). There will be two sessions, one from 4:00-6:30 PM and the second
from 7:00 to 9:30 PM. The price is $8 for early registration and $10 for
late registration (beginning Nov. 1st), which is a fraction of its actual
cost. We would love for you to take advantage of being CPR certified. Please
join the brothers of Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity Inc., and help save a
life. For more info contact Danny Navarro at [log in to unmask] and
visit http://grove.ufl.edu/~slb1986/CPR.htm Complementary T shirts and
refreshments will be served to attendees.

5. SIEGEL SCULPTURE EVENTS: "...with my mind a mere image"
Two Decades: The Art of Steven Siegel
Public Lecture
Wednesday, November 5th, 6:00 PM
Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art,
in the University of Florida Cultural Complex

In conjunction with his exhibition at Focus Gallery and the
installation of his site-specific artwork at the School of Art and Art
History,
New York artist, Steven Siegel, will present a slide lecture
detailing the progression of his work over the past twenty years.
Siegel will be visiting the University of Florida from November
4th until November 14th to create an outdoor sculpture in
collaboration with students, faculty, and Gainesville residents.
(The Honors Class "Artists and the Florida
Environment" is participating in helping with Mr. Siegel's
project, as well as several art students who happen to be in the
Honors program as well.  The Honors Program is one of the sponsors
of this event. We are looking forward to watching the sculpture emerge
in the Fine Arts Courtyard from Nov. 4-14).

6. STUDENT HEALTH OUTREACH TEAM MEETING: Tuesday November 4 at
5:30pm. Come to the next SHOT meeting and become involved in
improving student Health Care on campus.  We work closely with the
Student Health Care Center (SHCC) and let them know what the
students want from their health care provider.  The meeting is in
room 271 of Yon Hall (between gates 12 and 13 of the football
stadium) and we always serve dinner!!  We look forward to seeing
you!!

7. INVENTION TO VENTURE: A WORKSHOP IN TECHNOLOGY-DRIVEN ENTREPRENEURSHIP.
Discover how
to turn an innovative idea into a new venture! Explore technology
entrepreneurship
fundamentals! Network with the people who can make your ideas a reality.
Plan to attend the
first workshop in the 2003 Howard J. Leonhardt Technology Venture Academy,
organized for UF's Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Saturday Nov.
15. 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. Emerson Hall, 2nd floor. Provided: binder of
educational materials, lunch, refreshments and a reception. Register online
at www.ufventure.com  Open to all students and faculty interested in
technology commercialization.

8. FLORIDA WOMEN IN BUSINESS: Florida Women in Business will be meeting on
Tuesday, November 4th at 6:15 pm in MAT105. This is a growing organization
on campus that offers lots of wonderful networking and leadership
opportunities. This is not limited to business students, and new members are
always welcome to attend! For more info visit our website at
<http://grove.ufl.edu/~fwib> or email [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

9. SOME VACANCIES FOR MALES IN HUME: A limited number of male vacancies have
opened up in the Honors Residential College at Hume Hall. Current on-campus
and off-campus honors students now have an opportunity to live in Hume.
Hume offers suite-for-two (two double rooms sharing an adjoining bath) style
rooms. Each floor has a common lounge and kitchen area. Spaces are limited
and will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you are interested
in living in Hume, please see Rosie in the Assignments Section of the
Housing Office located next to Beaty Towers at the corner of SW 13th Street
and Museum Road with a printed copy of this e-mail by Wednesday, November
5th. These spaces will go fast, so don't delay!

10. CORRECTION: IDH 2935 Internship Seminar:  NOTE DAY CHANGE BELOW. This
course is designed for students who have a spring internship in Gainesville
or nearby.  The class will meet once a week, help students understand the
culture of the organization, identify the student's role and fit within that
culture, and provide students with the tools to implement their skills in
the workplace.  Students will also produce a professional portfolio, which
can be used when interviewing for full-time positions.  Students will learn
about various work environments through sharing and group discussion.
Students wishing to enroll in this course must have a spring internship and
apply through the Career Resource Center ([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or 352-392-1601 ext. 208). The class meets
Hume 118 on Thursdays, period 7 for 2 credits.

11.  APPLY FOR THE GATORSHIP CONFERENCE TODAY:  Gatorship is a unique
leadership and diversity experience for student leaders at the University of
Florida. It is designed to be an intense and thought-provoking weekend
retreat where over 50 participants plus student staff have the opportunity
to interact through team building activities and group discussions. If you
are interested in becoming a more productive leader or would like to
nominate someone to attend, please pick up a participant and/or nomination
application at Mary Kay Schneider's office at 202 Peabody Hall or you can
visit us online at www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/gatorship/. Applications are due
November 21, and nominations are due by November 7, 2003. If you have any
questions, please contact the Recruitment Director, Sonja Rosario, at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or (352)338-2099.  (The
Honors Program will be pleased to sponsor at least 5 students who
participate. So apply and we will sort out later how many folks we can
sponsor.)

12. GATOR GROWL: GATOR GROWL 2003: Gator Growl 2003 is scheduled to take
place on Friday November 7th this year and
promises all the old tradition as well as many new exciting additions.  This
year's show will feature the musical performance of Sugar Ray and stand-up
comedy routines of Christopher Titus and Arnez J.  Growl will start at 7pm
at the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.  Tickets are available to all UF students
through the UAA at 384-3262 and through the University Box Office at
Constans Theater for $12.  Non-students can all purchase tickets at the box
office for $16, as well as at all Ticketmaster locations.  This is one event

you don't want to miss, so get your tickets now before they sell out.

13. MELLON SCHOLARSHIP: The Mellon Fellowships support students as
they pursue advanced study in the humanities and social sciences-fields
include cultural anthropology, art history, classics, English, history,
and many more. Awards apply at any accredited graduate program in the
United States or Canada, and cover full graduate tuition, required fees
for the first year of graduate study, and a one-year stipend of $17,500.
See website for eligibility details. You should take the GRE Test by Nov.
3.  Requests for an application must be placed through the Mellon website
at www.woodrow.org/mellon. Application Request Deadline - Nov. 12 (no
exceptions).  Completed Application RECEIPT Deadline - December 1 (no
exceptions).

14. FRESHMEN MERITS PICK UP YOUR CERTIFICATES: Freshmen National Merits,
Achievement, Hispanic Scholars. If you did not attend the convocation in
early October, please come by our office in 140 Tigert and pick up your
lovely certificates. In a couple of weeks I will recycle those that you have
not come by for. So please do so now.

15. The North Central Florida Chapter of the AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION
MEETING will be holding its 2003 Annual Meeting on Wednesday Nov. 5th at the
Alachua County Downtown Library, Upper Floor, Meeting Room A. There will be
a Social Hour from 6 to 7pm with the official meeting starting at 7pm. We
will hear a local Legal Update from Gary Edinger, Esq., Chair of the Legal
Panel. Our guest presenter will be outgoing Chapter Chair, Charles Willet.
He will speak on "Civil Liberties and Libraries." The 2003 Civil Libertarian
of the Year Award will be presented to the Alachua County Library District
for defending civil liberties by providing open access to information and
protecting privacy rights.

16. FLORIDA HONORS COUNCIL WRITING COMPETITION: The Florida Honors Council
has announced its annual writing competition for students enrolled in honors
programs at Florida colleges and universities (UF has won awards every
year). Categories are: 1. Freshmen/Sophomore Documented Research 2.
Freshmen/Sophomore Critical Thinking* 3. Junior/Senior Documented Research
or Critical Thinking * 4. Freshmen through Senior Creative Poetry Writing
(One Poem Per Person) 5. Freshmen through Senior Creative Prose Writing
*(Basically critical thinking is a paper in which you solve a problem or
look at it from multiple angles--as opposed to a purely research paper)
Prizes
1. First Prize in Each Category: $ 100 2. Second Prize in Each Category: $
50 3. All winners receive free conference registration, including one lunch
and two breakfasts and each institution will receive a $ 50. subsidy for
hotel costs for first and second place winners for the Florida Honors
Council in Clearwater in February (not necessary to attend to win but it is
nice to be able to present your paper and you only need to go for Friday
evening). Essay winners will present an overview of their papers. Poetry
winners will read their poems.
Directions for Students
1. Choose a sample of your writing that your professor told you is
excellent.The paper may be further revised or corrected prior to submission.
Papers and poems that have previously won other contests may NOT be
submitted.
2. The paper should be no more than 10 pages in 12 point Roman
font(excluding outline, notes, appendices etc.) and should closely follow
current MLA or APA format. Papers submitted exceeding 10 pages will NOT be
considered.
3. Attach a title page which includes only the title of your paper and the
category (see above). Be sure to put your name and social security number
and the title of your paper on another piece of paper so we will know it is
your paper.
4. Submit your paper to Dr. Dickison in 140 Tigert by Wednesday November 12.

5. We can only submit three papers per category so I will have a faculty
committee select the winners for UF.
Please let me know if you have questions. We have won several first place
awards in the past two years. Looks good on your resume!

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>