Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 11-05-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:04:25 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student.  Opportunities listed
range from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, submit
the info on the form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, November 5, 2003

Topics:

1. Dialogue with Attorney General Ashcroft
2. Goldwater, Truman and Udall Scholarship Session
3. Student Investment Club
4. Internships in France
5. RECURSO's Canned Food and Toy Drive
6. Eternal Treblinka Lecture (TODAY)
7. Midnight Student Productions (Leadership Opportunities)
8. Artsfans
9. Siegel Sculpture Events (Lecture Today)
10. Apply for Gatorship Conference Today (Honors is Sponsoring Students)
11. Freshmen Merits: Pick Up Your Certificates
12. American Civil Liberties Union Meeting (TODAY)
13. Youth Leadership Gainesville Applications
14. Florida Honors Council Writing Competition

Details:

1. DIALOGUE WITH ATTORNEY GENERAL ASHCROFT:  Attorney General Ashcroft will
be on campus Friday to give a speech at the Blue Key Banquet. He would like
to meet and dialogue with students during his visit and the Provost has
asked me to invite students to meet with him. We need about 30 or so
students. The event will take place this Friday at 3:00 pm (will last an
hour) in Dauer Hall room 219. Mr. Ashcroft wants to talk to a broad range of
students so you don't need to be Republican to participate! Please let me
know if you would like to attend so I will know whether I have enough
students. E-mail me by Thursday afternoon, just saying you plan to attend
([log in to unmask]). This will be informal and I think a wonderful opportunity
to talk to an individual who is playing a very important role in the war
against terrorism etc. Should be of especial interest to Political Science
majors--in fact to anyone who likes to keep up with the news!

2. GOLDWATER, TRUMAN UDALL SCHOLARSHIPS: There will be an information
session about applying for the Truman,Goldwater, and Udall scholarships on
Wednesday, November 12 in 118 Fine Arts
C at 4:05 pm. The campus deadlines for the Truman and Goldwater Scholarships
will be
December 1, 2003, while the Udall Scholarship deadline is January 6, 2004,
to 140 Tigert Hall.  Nominees from the University of Florida will be
selected from those applicants, and students are strongly encouraged to
begin the application process immediately after determining their
eligibility for the scholarships from the websites. (These scholarships are
career-makers!)

        The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education
Foundation recognizes college juniors and seniors in the 2004-2005 academic
year who have outstanding potential and intend to pursue research and/or
academic careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering (but
not in medical practice).   Students should have at least a 3.8 GPA and
solid experience in research.  Barry M. Goldwater Scholars will receive
tuition and fees up to $7,500 per year.  Applications and more information
can be found at <http://www.act.org/goldwater>.  In 2003, UF had two winners
of a Goldwater Scholarship:  Robert Abel and Anup Patel.

The Harry S. Truman Foundation offers merit-based scholarships for college
juniors with exceptional leadership potential who are committed to careers
in government, the non-profit or advocacy sectors, education, or elsewhere
in the public service.  For this year's award, students who plan to continue
full-time undergraduate study and expect to receive a bachelor's degree
between December 2004 and August 2005 are eligible.  The Truman Foundation
offers a total of $26,000 for the senior year and graduate studies.
The Truman Foundation defines public service as "employment in government at
any level, uniformed services, public-interest organizations,
nongovernmental research and/or educational organizations, public and
private schools, and public service-oriented nonprofit organizations such as
those whose primary purposes are to help needy or disadvantaged persons or
to protect the environment." Students should have at least 3.7 GPA to apply
and a strong extracurricular
activities and leadership experience, and be able to demonstrate a strong
commitment to public service.  Applications and further information can be
found at <http://www.truman.gov>, including suggestions for a written policy
proposal and sample responses.  In 2003, UF had a winner of a Truman
Scholarship:  Terri Porter.

The Morris K. Udall Foundation awards undergraduate scholarships of up to
$5,000 to American juniors and seniors in fields related to the environment,
and to Native American and Alaska Natives in fields related to health care
or tribal policy.   Applicants should be familiar with work of Morris K.
Udall, have at least
a 3.5 GPA, and will write an essay incorporating his achievements.  More
information can be found at http://www.udallfoundation.org
<http://www.udallfoundation.org>.   Letters of recommendation as well as
essays must be submitted on the due dates.  In 2003, UF had a winner of a
Udall Scholarship:  James Argento.  For more information, contact Jeanna
Mastrodicasa in 140 Tigert Hall at [log in to unmask] or visit the individual
websites.

3. STUDENT INVESTMENT CLUB: Who Wants to be a Millionaire? (Okay, it is just
around $25). Come out to SIC this Thursday (7:20pm, NEB 101) and you could
walk away with $25!There will be a presentation on IRA's, our first annual
'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?' competition, and much much more.Want more
info? Go to www.ufinvestmentclub.com

4. INTERNSHIPS IN FRANCE: Here are some oportunities in France. American
Assistants in France. The French Ministry of Education is offering 1,500
teaching assistantship positions in French primary and secondary
schools. For more information consult
http://www.frenchculture.org/education/support/

Internships in France in the Public or Private Sector. For more
information, please consult http://www.frenchculture.org/education/support/
or contact [log in to unmask]

5. RECURSO is a non-profit student organization that raises awareness on
issues such as global development and poverty alleviation in underdeveloped
countries such as Nicaragua, Peru, Zimbabwe and Guatemala. Through a series
of events and fundraisers we seek to specifically assist children who suffer
from cancer aids and malnutrition in these countries. We would like your
organization to participate in helping us to feed these children. Recurso
will be having a food & toy drive to collect food for needy children in
these countries from Nov 3-21. We will be placing collection boxes: On the
3rd floor of the Reitz Union in the OCS office; La Casita; The Cabinet
Office; All of the Sorority Houses. We ask your organization to provide
donations of any non-perishable food items or toys to these drop off areas.
We will be picking the donations up on November 21. Please let me know if
your organization will be able to participate. You can contact me at
(407)484-7416 or [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Let me know if
there is anything I can do to help your organization get involved with the
food drive. For more information about Recurso, please visit
http://grove.ufl.edu/~recurso .

6. ETERNAL TREBLINKA LECTURE (Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust):
On Wednesday November 5 at 6:30 pm in the Rion Ballroom of the Reitz Union,
Animal Activists of Alachua will be hosting a presentation by historian and
Holocaust educator Dr. Charles Patterson, author of a book called Eternal
Treblinka. The book, which draws its title and inspiration from the writings
of the Nobel Prize winning Yiddish author Isaac Bashevis Singer, focuses on
the connections between Hitler's Final Solution and the industrialized
slaughter of animals (which kills approximately 10 billion cows, chickens,
and pigs each year in the U.S. alone). Dr. Patterson will also be holding a
book signing of Eternal Treblinka on Tuesday Nov. 4 at 8pm at Goerings
Bookstore (Westgate location). Copies of the book are being sold at the UF
Bookstore in the Reitz and at Goerings. For more information please visit
www.animalactivists.org/patterson.htm or contact [log in to unmask]

7. MIDNIGHT STUDENT PRODUCTIONS (LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES): Interested in
Movies? Film? Production?  This is the club for you! We offer diversion in
leadership that can open up your world to millions of opportunities. Right
now we are working on different projects that have leadership opportunities
in PR, Fundraising, Workshop, Scriptwriting, and much more... Join us at our
next meeting on November 12, at 7pm in Turlington, room 2319. See you
there!!!

8. ARTSFANS: Take advantage of your time as a college student in Gainesville

and check out some of the shows at the Curtis Phillips Center for
Performing Arts and University Auditorium for amazing student
prices.  We're aren't art connoisseurs or necessarily fine arts
majors, just a group of students who like to have fun at the
shows.  Last year we saw Bobby McFerrin climb off the stage and
harmonize with individual audience members, the Aquila Theatre
Company work their magic in a Midsummer Night's Dream with
essentially only umbrellas for props, and much more.  If you are
interested in joining us, email Cathy Yeh at [log in to unmask] with
"Artsfans" in the subject line.  The group will be buying tickets
together Thursday Nov. 13th.  Specific time to be arranged to
accommodate everyone's schedules.

9. SIEGEL SCULPTURE EVENTS: "...with my mind a mere image"
Two Decades: The Art of Steven Siegel
Public Lecture
Wednesday, November 5th, 6:00 PM
Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art,
in the University of Florida Cultural Complex

In conjunction with his exhibition at Focus Gallery and the
installation of his site-specific artwork at the School of Art and Art
History,
New York artist, Steven Siegel, will present a slide lecture
detailing the progression of his work over the past twenty years.
Siegel will be visiting the University of Florida from November
4th until November 14th to create an outdoor sculpture in
collaboration with students, faculty, and Gainesville residents.
(The Honors Class "Artists and the Florida
Environment" is participating in helping with Mr. Siegel's
project, as well as several art students who happen to be in the
Honors program as well.  The Honors Program is one of the sponsors
of this event. We are looking forward to watching the sculpture emerge
in the Fine Arts Courtyard from Nov. 4-14).

10. APPLY FOR THE GATORSHIP CONFERENCE TODAY:  Gatorship is a unique
leadership and diversity experience for student leaders at the University of
Florida. It is designed to be an intense and thought-provoking weekend
retreat where over 50 participants plus student staff have the opportunity
to interact through team building activities and group discussions. If you
are interested in becoming a more productive leader or would like to
nominate someone to attend, please pick up a participant and/or nomination
application at Mary Kay Schneider's office at 202 Peabody Hall or you can
visit us online at www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/gatorship/. Applications are due
November 21, and nominations are due by November 7, 2003. If you have any
questions, please contact the Recruitment Director, Sonja Rosario, at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or (352)338-2099.  (The
Honors Program will be pleased to sponsor at least 5 students who
participate. So apply and we will sort out later how many folks we can
sponsor.)

11. FRESHMEN MERITS PICK UP YOUR CERTIFICATES: Freshmen National Merits,
Achievement, Hispanic Scholars. If you did not attend the convocation in
early October, please come by our office in 140 Tigert and pick up your
lovely certificates. In a couple of weeks I will recycle those that you have
not come by for. So please do so now.

12. The North Central Florida Chapter of the AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION
MEETING will be holding its 2003 Annual Meeting on Wednesday Nov. 5th at the
Alachua County Downtown Library, Upper Floor, Meeting Room A. There will be
a Social Hour from 6 to 7pm with the official meeting starting at 7pm. We
will hear a local Legal Update from Gary Edinger, Esq., Chair of the Legal
Panel. Our guest presenter will be outgoing Chapter Chair, Charles Willet.
He will speak on "Civil Liberties and Libraries." The 2003 Civil Libertarian
of the Year Award will be presented to the Alachua County Library District
for defending civil liberties by providing open access to information and
protecting privacy rights.

13. YOUTH LEADERSHIP GAINESVILLE APPLICATIONS ARE DUE SOON!
Are you interested in making a difference to your community?  Do you want to
work with high school students?  Then Youth Leadership Gainesville is the
program for you!  YLG is an exciting new program that pairs high school and
college students in a mentoring relationship, while introducing them to many
issues that Alachua County is facing and what they can do as young adults to
help make a difference.  Students will learn through hands on activities and
one-on-one interaction with other leaders.  Only 20 students will be
selected and these students will have the opportunity to meet many of their
community leaders and have their voices heard.  Applications are available
online at www.union.ufl.edu/ocs/youthdevelopment.asp
If you have any questions please contact Renata Opoczynski at
[log in to unmask] or by calling the Office of Community Service at
392-1655 ext 226.

14. FLORIDA HONORS COUNCIL WRITING COMPETITION: The Florida Honors Council
has announced its annual writing competition for students enrolled in honors
programs at Florida colleges and universities (UF has won awards every
year). Categories are: 1. Freshmen/Sophomore Documented Research 2.
Freshmen/Sophomore Critical Thinking* 3. Junior/Senior Documented Research
or Critical Thinking * 4. Freshmen through Senior Creative Poetry Writing
(One Poem Per Person) 5. Freshmen through Senior Creative Prose Writing
*(Basically critical thinking is a paper in which you solve a problem or
look at it from multiple angles--as opposed to a purely research paper)
Prizes
1. First Prize in Each Category: $ 100 2. Second Prize in Each Category: $
50 3. All winners receive free conference registration, including one lunch
and two breakfasts and each institution will receive a $ 50. subsidy for
hotel costs for first and second place winners for the Florida Honors
Council in Clearwater in February (not necessary to attend to win but it is
nice to be able to present your paper and you only need to go for Friday
evening). Essay winners will present an overview of their papers. Poetry
winners will read their poems.
Directions for Students
1. Choose a sample of your writing that your professor told you is
excellent.The paper may be further revised or corrected prior to submission.
Papers and poems that have previously won other contests may NOT be
submitted.
2. The paper should be no more than 10 pages in 12 point Roman
font(excluding outline, notes, appendices etc.) and should closely follow
current MLA or APA format. Papers submitted exceeding 10 pages will NOT be
considered.
3. Attach a title page which includes only the title of your paper and the
category (see above). Be sure to put your name and social security number
and the title of your paper on another piece of paper so we will know it is
your paper.
4. Submit your paper to Dr. Dickison in 140 Tigert by Wednesday November 12.

5. We can only submit three papers per category so I will have a faculty
committee select the winners for UF.
Please let me know if you have questions. We have won several first place
awards in the past two years. Looks good on your resume!

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>