Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 11-12-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:16:21 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student.  Opportunities listed
range from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, submit
the info on the form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Topics:

1. A.R.T. on Display
2. Lecture: "Affirmative Action as it Relates to Asian Americans and Other
Groups." (TODAY)
3. Freshmen Merits: Pick Up Your Certificates
4. Honors Internship Course Still Has Space
5. Wetlands Club Meeting
6. English Society Meeting and Speaker (TODAY)
7. LECTURE on "An Evangelical Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith"
8. Caring for Seniors: a New Volunteer Opportunity
9. Counterpoise Needs Interns in Spring Semester (Publishing)
10. SG Meeting for Student Organization Presidents (TODAY)
11. Goldwater, Truman and Udall Scholarship Session (TODAY)
12. Midnight Student Productions (Leadership Opportunities)(TODAY)
13. Siegel Sculpture Event
14. Apply for Gatorship Conference Today (Honors is Sponsoring Students)
15. Florida Honors Council Writing Competition (DUE TODAY)

Details:

1.  Artistic Reflections Today of the Women's Leadership Council will be
displaying UF STUDENT'S POETRY AND ART in the Reitz Union Colonnade Thursday
Nov. 13 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Anyone who attends the event will get a
chance to vote for his or her favorite pieces.  Come and enjoy the fun, food
and music while supporting talented UF students.  E-mail the A.R.T. staff
with any questions about this event at [log in to unmask]

2. STUDENTS ORGANIZING FOR JUSTICE AND ACTION AND ASIAN AMERICAN
KALEIDOSCOPE MONTH present: "Protecting Equal Opportunity: Affirmative
Action as it Relates to Asian Americans and Other Groups" Featuring Anjali
Thakur, Field Manager from the  Leadership Conference on Civil Rights
Education Fund / Americans for a Fair Chance. Wednesday, November 12, 2003.
Little Hall 121 @ 6:00 PM
3.  FRESHMEN MERITS PICK UP YOUR CERTIFICATES: Freshmen National Merits,
Achievement, Hispanic Scholars. If you did not attend the convocation in
early October, please come by our office in 140 Tigert and pick up your
lovely certificates. In a couple of weeks I will recycle those that you have
not come by for. So please do so now.

4. HONORS INTERNSHIP CLASS STILL HAS SPACE: I still have space for a couple
of students in my new course that aims to help students find a very good
internship. Take a look at the course description at www.honors.ufl.edu
Click on Spring 2004 Courses and go to IDH 4905 (Researching Internships)for
a description. Send me an e-mail if you are interested with your resume
attached. I will be getting back to everybody about the class by the end of
this week. You do not need to e-mail me again if you have already submitted
your resume.

5. WETLANDS CLUB: Is the natural environment important to you? Do you enjoy
spending your free time outdoors? The Wetlands Club might be the group for
you! Although we are officially classified as an "academic club," being a
member of the wetlands club is about more than work, it's about fun. Members
try to make time every semester for canoe and hiking trips, birdwatching,
swimming and camping and social events. This week we are welcoming our new
officers and club members with a presentation by Dave Newport, chairman of
Greening UF (an on-campus organization striving for sustainability and a
small ecological footprint). We hope you'll join us at the Center for
Wetlands (aka as the Phelps Lab, located across the street from the new UF
bookstore) at 6pm on Thursday. For more information, contact Mickey
Aldridge, club secretary, at [log in to unmask]

6.  ENGLISH SOCIETY MEETING AND SPEAKER: The English Society is excited to
announce that Dr. Allen Shoaf of the UF English Department will be coming to
share and discuss his poetry on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 at 6:30 PM at
Goering's bookstore (the location near the intersection of 34th and
University Avenue, NOT the campus/Bageland store). The following is Dr.
Shoaf's own description of the topics that will be discussed: " ... the
poet's idiot fooling with the sound of things"
- Howard Nemerov.    I have long wondered about the inwordness of poetry. I
would be delighted and honored to share some of my poems with the UF English
Society and talk about them, both as a writer and as a critic. We could
together measure their inwordness and consider the idiocy of their fooling
with the sound of things, their idiom - their ID I OM, their di moi, their
moi di, their o mi di, their mi dio (mi Dio?). Perhaps, like Romeo's, ours
will prove but a "single-soled jest, solely singular for the singleness,"
but then Mercutio will indeed see his "wits faint" when he realizes we have
"worn out [our] pump, that when the single sole of it is worn, the jest may
remain after the wearing sole singular. Come and join us for an interesting
evening with a great speaker and plenty of light refreshments!

7. LECTURE on "An Evangelical Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith" by
Father Peter Gillquist, the former Regional Director of Campus Crusade for
Christ.  He'll be talking about the Orthodox church, and addressing
questions such as "Can the Church of the New Testament be located in the
21st Century?" The talk is Thursday, Nov 13 at 7PM at the Episcopal Student
Center, located on 1522 West University across from the libraries at UF.
Email [log in to unmask] with any questions.

8. CARING FOR SENIORS: A NEW VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Join a new student
volunteer organization!  Caring For Seniors is dedicated to improving the
quality of life of nursing home residents through interaction and student
led activities.  Our first meeting will be Wednesday, November 19th at 6:00
pm in the Reitz Union, room #273.

9. COUNTERPOISE is now seeking candidates for the spring 2004 semester.
Students are invited to apply for an interview by appointment (phone
352/335-2200 or email <[log in to unmask]>) at our home/office,
situated three miles south of campus and accessible by bus, bike or car.
UF's Career Resource Center database www.crc.ufl.edu/ and our web site
www.counterpoise.info give further information. PUBLISHING INTERN PROGRAM.
Academic Fields: African Studies, African American Studies, Anthropology,
Asian Studies, Asian American Studies, Digital Art/Graphic Art/Photography,
Ecology, Economics, Education, English, Environmental Policy and Science,
History, International Relations, Journalism, Latin American Studies, Law,
Marketing, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology, Urban and Regional
Planning, Women's Studies. Requirements: Goal: professional experience in
editing and publishing. High competency in English required.  Proficiency in
writing and use of computers and libraries required.  Familiarity with the
alternative press, social concerns, and foreign language and area studies
helpful.  Experience in graphic design, marketing, and office management
very useful.  Freshmen and sophomores are encouraged to apply.  Some interns
continue working for many semesters.  We also need students with a
background in Information Technology or Computer Science to work with our
computers and website  (two-semester commitment required).  We operate by
consensus as a collective. Weekly time commitment for a formal internship:
12 to 15 hours minimum.   Some work can be done on interns' own computers at
home.
Opportunities: Work collegially with the editor/publisher and other interns;
Improve your writing skills: style, grammar, spelling, punctuation; Learn
the technical nuts and bolts of putting a publication together; Become more
proficient in using libraries and the Internet; Encounter alternative points
of view not found in mainstream books or media; Learn about publishing and
editing as a career; Set hours to suit your schedule; Work at home on
special projects; Get course credit in some cases; Receive a letter of
recommendation documenting your internship; Four interns came into our
program in August 2001.   Two stayed on into the spring semester and were
joined by others, some of whom continued on.   In January 2002 we formed a
"Counterpoise collective," which makes decisions by consensus.   About ten
interns worked during the spring 2003 semester, six were active over the
summer, and eight are participating this fall..

Counterpoise, subtitled "for social responsibilities, liberty, and dissent,"
is a scholarly review journal for the alternative press.  Each 67-page issue
contains articles, review essays, a section of "Bibliographic Tools for the
Alternative Press," and about 75 reviews across the spectrum of the
humanities and social sciences.  Publisher/distributor,
author/title/reviewer, and subject indexes cumulate in the 4th issue.

10. SG MEETING FOR STUDENT ORGANIZATION PRESIDENTS: The University of
Florida's Student Government Organizational Outreach Cabinet has scheduled
an Organizational President's Forum for Wednesday, November 12, 2003 from
5:30 - 7:30 PM in Florida Gym Room 260. This event will include a panel of
chief Student Government officers and representatives, and will allow
Organizational Presidents to ask questions of the panelists and voice any
concerns that they may have. We are planning a discussion format, so that
attendees are able to freely voice their concerns and to get the answers
that they need. If you are unable to attend, you may select representatives
from your organization to attend in your stead. Please contact Petra Watson
at [log in to unmask] if you have any questions about the event. We look
forward to seeing you on November 12th!
   Also, if your organization has not completed the survey that this cabinet
has previously sent out, please do so ASAP. If you need a survey, please
e-mail [log in to unmask] as well. Allow your organization's voice to be
heard within Student Government!

11. GOLDWATER, TRUMAN UDALL SCHOLARSHIPS: There will be an information
session about applying for the Truman,Goldwater, and Udall scholarships on
Wednesday, November 12 in 118 Fine Arts C at 4:05 pm. The campus deadlines
for the Truman and Goldwater Scholarships will be December 1, 2003, while
the Udall Scholarship deadline is January 6, 2004,
to 140 Tigert Hall.  Nominees from the University of Florida will be
selected from those applicants, and students are strongly encouraged to
begin the application process immediately after determining their
eligibility for the scholarships from the websites. (These scholarships are
career-makers!)

        The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education
Foundation recognizes college juniors and seniors in the 2004-2005 academic
year who have outstanding potential and intend to pursue research and/or
academic careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering (but
not in medical practice).   Students should have at least a 3.8 GPA and
solid experience in research.  Barry M. Goldwater Scholars will receive
tuition and fees up to $7,500 per year.  Applications and more information
can be found at <http://www.act.org/goldwater>.  In 2003, UF had two winners
of a Goldwater Scholarship:  Robert Abel and Anup Patel.

The Harry S. Truman Foundation offers merit-based scholarships for college
juniors with exceptional leadership potential who are committed to careers
in government, the non-profit or advocacy sectors, education, or elsewhere
in the public service.  For this year's award, students who plan to continue
full-time undergraduate study and expect to receive a bachelor's degree
between December 2004 and August 2005 are eligible.  The Truman Foundation
offers a total of $26,000 for the senior year and graduate studies.
The Truman Foundation defines public service as "employment in government at
any level, uniformed services, public-interest organizations,
nongovernmental research and/or educational organizations, public and
private schools, and public service-oriented nonprofit organizations such as
those whose primary purposes are to help needy or disadvantaged persons or
to protect the environment." Students should have at least 3.7 GPA to apply
and a strong extracurricular
activities and leadership experience, and be able to demonstrate a strong
commitment to public service.  Applications and further information can be
found at <http://www.truman.gov>, including suggestions for a written policy
proposal and sample responses.  In 2003, UF had a winner of a Truman
Scholarship:  Terri Porter.

The Morris K. Udall Foundation awards undergraduate scholarships of up to
$5,000 to American juniors and seniors in fields related to the environment,
and to Native American and Alaska Natives in fields related to health care
or tribal policy.   Applicants should be familiar with work of Morris K.
Udall, have at least
a 3.5 GPA, and will write an essay incorporating his achievements.  More
information can be found at http://www.udallfoundation.org
<http://www.udallfoundation.org>.   Letters of recommendation as well as
essays must be submitted on the due dates.  In 2003, UF had a winner of a
Udall Scholarship:  James Argento.  For more information, contact Jeanna
Mastrodicasa in 140 Tigert Hall at [log in to unmask] or visit the individual
websites.

12. MIDNIGHT STUDENT PRODUCTIONS (LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES): Interested in
Movies? Film? Production?  This is the club for you! We offer diversion in
leadership that can open up your world to millions of opportunities. Right
now we are working on different projects that have leadership opportunities
in PR, Fundraising, Workshop, Scriptwriting, and much more... Join us at our
next meeting on Wednesday November 12, at 7pm in Turlington, room 2319. See
you there!!!

13. SIEGEL SCULPTURE EVENTS: "...with my mind a mere image"
Two Decades: The Art of Steven Siegel

Siegel will be visiting the University of Florida from November
4th until November 14th to create an outdoor sculpture in
collaboration with students, faculty, and Gainesville residents.
(The Honors Class "Artists and the Florida
Environment" is participating in helping with Mr. Siegel's
project, as well as several art students who happen to be in the
Honors program as well.  The Honors Program is one of the sponsors
of this event. You can now see the sculpture in progress
in the Fine Arts Courtyard from Nov. 4-14.)

14. APPLY FOR THE GATORSHIP CONFERENCE TODAY:  Gatorship is a unique
leadership and diversity experience for student leaders at the University of
Florida. It is designed to be an intense and thought-provoking weekend
retreat where over 50 participants plus student staff have the opportunity
to interact through team building activities and group discussions. If you
are interested in becoming a more productive leader or would like to
nominate someone to attend, please pick up a participant and/or nomination
application at Mary Kay Schneider's office at 202 Peabody Hall or you can
visit us online at www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/gatorship/. Applications are due
November 21, and nominations are due by November 7, 2003. If you have any
questions, please contact the Recruitment Director, Sonja Rosario, at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or (352)338-2099.  (The
Honors Program will be pleased to sponsor at least 5 students who
participate. So apply and we will sort out later how many folks we can
sponsor.)

15. FLORIDA HONORS COUNCIL WRITING COMPETITION: The Florida Honors Council
has announced its annual writing competition for students enrolled in honors
programs at Florida colleges and universities (UF has won awards every
year). Categories are: 1. Freshmen/Sophomore Documented Research 2.
Freshmen/Sophomore Critical Thinking* 3. Junior/Senior Documented Research
or Critical Thinking * 4. Freshmen through Senior Creative Poetry Writing
(One Poem Per Person) 5. Freshmen through Senior Creative Prose Writing
*(Basically critical thinking is a paper in which you solve a problem or
look at it from multiple angles--as opposed to a purely research paper)
Prizes
1. First Prize in Each Category: $ 100 2. Second Prize in Each Category: $
50 3. All winners receive free conference registration, including one lunch
and two breakfasts and each institution will receive a $ 50. subsidy for
hotel costs for first and second place winners for the Florida Honors
Council in Clearwater in February (not necessary to attend to win but it is
nice to be able to present your paper and you only need to go for Friday
evening). Essay winners will present an overview of their papers. Poetry
winners will read their poems.
Directions for Students
1. Choose a sample of your writing that your professor told you is
excellent.The paper may be further revised or corrected prior to submission.
Papers and poems that have previously won other contests may NOT be
submitted.
2. The paper should be no more than 10 pages in 12 point Roman
font(excluding outline, notes, appendices etc.) and should closely follow
current MLA or APA format. Papers submitted exceeding 10 pages will NOT be
considered.
3. Attach a title page which includes only the title of your paper and the
category (see above). Be sure to put your name and social security number
and the title of your paper on another piece of paper so we will know it is
your paper.
4. Submit your paper to Dr. Dickison in 140 Tigert by Wednesday November 12.

5. We can only submit three papers per category so I will have a faculty
committee select the winners for UF.
Please let me know if you have questions. We have won several first place
awards in the past two years. Looks good on your resume!

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>