Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 11-14-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:38:43 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student.  Opportunities listed
range from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, submit
the info on the form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Friday, November 14, 2003

Topics:

1. Freshmen National Hispanic Orientation Session
2. Legislative Internship Program (Spring Semester)
3. Relaxation Night (SHO)
4. CPR Certification Course
5. Freshmen Merits: Pick Up Your Certificates
6. AED First Annual Winter Ball Charitable Event
7. Afterdark - Friday Nov. 14 , 1-4 a.m. (TODAY)
8. Yoga Workshop (Hindu Student Council)
9. Steel Drum Bands Concert
10. Florida Fencing Club
11. Caring for Seniors: a New Volunteer Opportunity
12. Sunday Volunteer Project
13. Canned Food and Toy Drive (RECURSO)
14. Siegel Sculpture Event
15. Apply for Gatorship Conference Today (Honors is Sponsoring Students)
16. Cicerones Info Session

Details:

1. FRESHMEN NATIONAL HISPANIC SCHOLARSHIP ORIENTATION SESSION:  If you are a
freshman National Hispanic Scholar, please note that you MUST attend a
mandatory orientation session on Monday Nov. 17 at 1:55 in Little 233 OR
5:10 in Little 119. If you can not attend either session please contact Fran
Green asap in the Honors Office ([log in to unmask] or call 392-1519).  You
should already have received a letter about this.

2. LEGISLATIVE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM: The Office of the Provost is pleased to
announce the continuation of the
Legislative Internship Program for the fourth year.  Designed to provide
exceptional University of Florida undergraduates with a chance to
participate in state government at the highest levels, the
Legislative Internship Program will afford an unusual opportunity for
professional and academic growth in the exciting environment of the state
capital during the legislative session.  University of Florida students
should consider this program strongly if they are interested in a career in
public service.

The Legislative Internship Program will provide support for four University
of Florida undergraduates to spend January through mid-May in Tallahassee
working in the offices of legislative members of the Gator Caucus.  Students
will receive a stipend of $4,000 each in this program, and are expected to
live in Tallahassee during the internship.

Students must earn at least 6 hours of internship credit from UF during
Spring semester, either through their major department or through the Honors
Program.  Evaluation of the student's internship will come from both a UF
faculty advisor and the supervising office.

Students will be selected on a competitive basis and must:

        *       Be a junior or senior and graduate no earlier than May 2004
        *       Have a GPA of 3.4 or above

Applications are available in the University Honors Program Office in 140
Tigert Hall.  The deadline for applying for the 2004 program will be Monday,
November 24 at 4 p.m.  All materials, including a faculty letter of
recommendation, must be submitted by that date.  Questions about the program
can be directed to Jeanna Mastrodicasa at 392-1519 or [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  The selection and assignment of the legislative
interns will be announced as quickly as possible.

3.  RELAXATION NIGHT: Want to get out of the dorm and relax for a little
bit? Then come learn how to do Pilates, Yoga, or Origami for free in the
Hume Commons and Classrooms! On Monday, November 17, you can choose to learn
two of these soothing, relaxing activities. The event runs from 8 PM until
10 PM. Some healthy, yet tasty, treats will be served. Put on by the SHO
Academic team.

4. CPR CERTIFICATION COURSE: Need CPR certification or just want to know how
to save a life?  The Red Cross Gators are offering a low-cost Adult, Infant,
& Child CPR Class with First Aid on Sunday, November 16th at 9 A.M. in room
346 of the Reitz Union. Remember, Education and Pharmacy majors require this
full course; Adult CPR alone is only required for Health Science Majors.  If
you need to take just one component of the class, it can be arranged.
Special group rates for 10 or more people are available.  Email
[log in to unmask] for questions or to sign up. Cash or checks are
accepted and can be paid before the class on Sunday. Proceeds benefit the
non-profit American Red Cross and its campus liaison, UF Red Cross Gators.

5.  FRESHMEN MERITS PICK UP YOUR CERTIFICATES: Freshmen National Merits,
Achievement, Hispanic Scholars. If you did not attend the convocation in
early October, please come by our office in 140 Tigert and pick up your
lovely certificates. In a couple of weeks I will recycle those that you have
not come by for. So please do so now.

6. AED FIRST ANNUAL WINTER BALL CHARITABLE EVENT: Alpha Epsilon Delta will
be hosting our first annual Winter Ball formal benefiting the A.C.O.R.N
clinic and Gainesville Pet Rescue, Inc.We invite all honors students and
other organizations to join us for a magical evening of live and recorded
music, prizes, distinguished guests, finer foods and spirits, and of course
plenty of exquisite dancing. The event will be held Sunday, December 7th at
the Holiday Inn Conference Center in west Gainesville near Tower road from
8:00 p.m-12:00 a.m. $15 per person provides you with an invitation to the
formal, free food and wine (must be 21+), and a commemorative t-shirt. Come
to room 327 on the 3rd floor of the Reitz Union any time before Dec. 3 to
purchase your tickets. There are only 300 tickets available so reserve yours
today.

7. FREE FOOD, FUN, MUSIC at the AEPHi house this Friday night from 1-4 a.m.
Go out with your friends and then come back to 832 W. Panhellenic Dr.
Admission is $5 at the door and all proceeds go to the Elizabeth Glaser
Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

8. YOGA WORKSHOP: HINDU STUDENTS COUNCIL would like to invite you to a YOGA
WORKSHOP on SUNDAY, NOV 16th from 2:30 - 4:30pm at ORION FITNESS - located
at: 3441 W UNIVERSITY AVE, GAINESVILLE, FL 32607. Phone: (352) 373-4439.
Cost is $5 for students. $10 for non-students. The session will be taught by
professionals from Atlanta and Orlando who are part of the Art of Living
Organization. If you have any questions or are interested in attending,
please email Kalpana at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
9. STEEL DRUM BANDS CONCERT: UF's Steel Drum bands fall concert. Monday,
November 17.  8:00 pm in the University Auditorium.  Come and listen to some
great music!!

10. FLORIDA FENCING CLUB WOMEN'S TEAM "DUAL" EXHIBITION: The UF Fencing Club
Women's team will be holding an NCAA-style "Dual" exhibition with Clemson
this weekend! The event will encompass foil, epee, and saber, and we will
have electric scorekeeping equipment and a referee to facilitate an
audience. Fencing begins at 11am this Sunday, November 16, at the Student
Recreation Center (specifically, the Racquet Club basketball court). Feel
free to drop by and perhaps look into our unique organization. En garde!

11. CARING FOR SENIORS: A NEW VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Join a new student
volunteer organization!  Caring For Seniors is dedicated to improving the
quality of life of nursing home residents through interaction and student
led activities.  Our first meeting will be Wednesday, November 19th at 6:00
pm in the Reitz Union, room #273.

12. SUNDAY VOLUNTEER PROJECT: Come make a difference to both the environment
and the community.  A piece of university-owned land on 23rd Street across
from the President's house is being taken over by invasive plants.  The
environment is being hurt and the community is upset that apathetic students
are not doing anything about it.  Come help out the environment and mend
student-community relations.  REFRESHMENTS will be provided.  Contact Tyler
Parramore, SG Cabinet Director for Community Political Affairs

13.  CANNED FOOD AND TOY DRIVE: RECURSO is a non-profit student organization
that raises awareness on
issues such as global development and poverty alleviation in underdeveloped
countries such as Nicaragua, Peru, Zimbabwe and Guatemala. Through a series
of events and fundraisers we seek to specifically assist children who suffer

from cancer aids and malnutrition in these countries. We would like your
organization to participate in helping us to feed these children. Recurso
will be having a food & toy drive to collect food for needy children in
these countries from Nov 3-21. We will be placing collection boxes: On the
3rd floor of the Reitz Union in the OCS office; La Casita; The Cabinet
Office; All of the Sorority Houses. We ask your organization to provide
donations of any non-perishable food items or toys to these drop off areas.
We will be picking the donations up on November 21. Please let me know if
your organization will be able to participate. You can contact me at
(407)484-7416 or [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Let me know if
there is anything I can do to help your organization get involved with the
food drive. For more information about Recurso, please visit
http://grove.ufl.edu/~recurso .

14. SIEGEL SCULPTURE EVENTS: "...with my mind a mere image"
Two Decades: The Art of Steven Siegel

Siegel will be visiting the University of Florida from November
4th until November 14th to create an outdoor sculpture in
collaboration with students, faculty, and Gainesville residents.
(The Honors Class "Artists and the Florida
Environment" is participating in helping with Mr. Siegel's
project, as well as several art students who happen to be in the
Honors program as well.  The Honors Program is one of the sponsors
of this event. You can now see the sculpture in progress
in the Fine Arts Courtyard from Nov. 4-14.)

15. APPLY FOR THE GATORSHIP CONFERENCE TODAY:  Gatorship is a unique
leadership and diversity experience for student leaders at the University of
Florida. It is designed to be an intense and thought-provoking weekend
retreat where over 50 participants plus student staff have the opportunity
to interact through team building activities and group discussions. If you
are interested in becoming a more productive leader or would like to
nominate someone to attend, please pick up a participant and/or nomination
application at Mary Kay Schneider's office at 202 Peabody Hall or you can
visit us online at www.dso.ufl.edu/preview/gatorship/. Applications are due
November 21, and nominations are due by November 7, 2003. If you have any
questions, please contact the Recruitment Director, Sonja Rosario, at
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or (352)338-2099.  (The
Honors Program will be pleased to sponsor at least 5 students who
participate. So apply and we will sort out later how many folks we can
sponsor.)

16. CICERONES INFO SESSION:  FLORIDA CICERONES AND ALUMNI ASSOC. FALL FORUM:
Come and see what the
Florida Cicerones are all about! The Florida Cicerones/SAA will be hosting
a Fall Forum, which is open to all students and will be held on Tuesday,
Nov. 18, at the Reitz Union Amphitheater at 7 pm So come ready to learn
more about the Cicerones and have fun!!  See you there! (Many honors
students have been
Cicerones--a great way to give back to UF!).

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>