Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List 11-19-03
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:52:19 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to
all students who entered UF as an honors student.  Opportunities listed
range from those for freshmen to seniors. To have your event listed, submit
the info on the form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/honorsdaily.html

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Topics:

1. Freshmen National Achievement Scholar Orientation Session (TODAY)
2. Monday Nov. 24: Last Day to Drop A Course
3. Legislative Internship Program (Spring Semester)
4. Forum on Transgender Issues
5. Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood
6. Freshmen Merits: Pick Up Your Certificates
7. AED First Annual Winter Ball Charitable Event. Info Session on the Peace
Corps
8. Info Session on the Peace Corps
9. Canned Food Drive in Hume This Week
10. BAMSA (Biracial and Multiracial Student Association) Meeting (TODAY)
11. Caring for Seniors: a New Volunteer Opportunity (TODAY)
12. Canned Food and Toy Drive (RECURSO)
13. Summer Study in Utrecht Info Session
14. Study Abroad in Paris Info Session
15. AED Pre Med Info Session (TODAY)

Details:

1. FRESHMEN NATIONAL ACHIEVEMENT SCHOLARSHIP ORIENTATION SESSION:  If you
are a freshman National Achievement Scholar, please note that you MUST
attend a mandatory orientation session on Wednesday Nov. 19 at 1:55 in
Little 233 OR 5:10 in Little 119. If you can not attend either session
please contact Fran Green asap in the Honors Office ([log in to unmask] or
call 392-1519).  You should already have received a letter about this.

2. MONDAY NOV. 24 LAST DAY TO DROP A CLASS. If you are thinking about
dropping a class, the last day to do it is on Monday. You need to get the
Change of Schedule Form from the Registrar's Office or our office and then
have your college advising office sign it before you return it to the
Registrar's Office. Remember that you have a limited number of drops
(usually two in your first 60 hours) and two in your upper division program
(some colleges differ).  So it is not a good idea to drop for a frivolous
reason (getting a B instead of an A). Similarly some scholarships require
you earn a certain number of credits a semester so you need to check
this--Bright Futures require you earn 6 credits a semester; National Merit
Scholarships require 24 hours earned by the end of spring semester.

3. LEGISLATIVE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM: The Office of the Provost is pleased to
announce the continuation of the
Legislative Internship Program for the fourth year.  Designed to provide
exceptional University of Florida undergraduates with a chance to
participate in state government at the highest levels, the
Legislative Internship Program will afford an unusual opportunity for
professional and academic growth in the exciting environment of the state
capital during the legislative session.  University of Florida students
should consider this program strongly if they are interested in a career in
public service.

The Legislative Internship Program will provide support for four University
of Florida undergraduates to spend January through mid-May in Tallahassee
working in the offices of legislative members of the Gator Caucus.  Students
will receive a stipend of $4,000 each in this program, and are expected to
live in Tallahassee during the internship.

Students must earn at least 6 hours of internship credit from UF during
Spring semester, either through their major department or through the Honors
Program.  Evaluation of the student's internship will come from both a UF
faculty advisor and the supervising office.

Students will be selected on a competitive basis and must:

        *       Be a junior or senior and graduate no earlier than May 2004
        *       Have a GPA of 3.4 or above

Applications are available in the University Honors Program Office in 140
Tigert Hall.  The deadline for applying for the 2004 program will be Monday,
November 24 at 4 p.m.  All materials, including a faculty letter of
recommendation, must be submitted by that date.  Questions about the program
can be directed to Jeanna Mastrodicasa at 392-1519 or [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  The selection and assignment of the legislative
interns will be announced as quickly as possible.

4. FORUM ON TRANSGENDER ISSUES: The Gator GSA and the LGB Cabinet will be
holding a forum on Transgender issues November 20 at 6:00 pm in Leigh 207.
The forum will be followed at 7:30 pm by a candle light vigil honoring those
who have been killed due to anti-transgender violence located in the Plaza
of the Americas.  After the vigil there will be a showing of the film Boys
Don't Cry at 8:00 pm in Leigh 207.  Everyone is invited to come out and
participate.

5. VOX: VOICES FOR PLANNED PARENTHOOD at UF will be hosting a panel
discussion titled "Speak Up, Speak Out! Women's Rights are Human Rights" on
Thursday, Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. in TUR 2319. The panel will be compromised of
four campus and community leaders who will address the topics of the history
of sexism on the UF campus, reproductive freedom, rape as an evolutionary
theory, and more. Dr. Stephanie Smith, Associate Professor of English at UF,
will be discussing "A Brief History of Briefs," Dr. Marta Wayne, Assistant
Professor of Genetics at UF, will be discussing "Rape as an Evolutionary
Theory", Christine Gajda, External Affairs Director for Planned Parenthood
of North Central Florida, will be discussing "Are You Losing Your
Reproductive Rights?," and Dr. Phyllis Meek, former Associate Dean of
Students, will be discussing "Does Sexism Still exist at UF?" For more info
contact [log in to unmask]

6.  FRESHMEN MERITS PICK UP YOUR CERTIFICATES: Freshmen National Merits,
Achievement, Hispanic Scholars. If you did not attend the convocation in
early October, please come by our office in 140 Tigert and pick up your
lovely certificates. In a couple of weeks I will recycle those that you have
not come by for. So please do so now.

7. AED FIRST ANNUAL WINTER BALL CHARITABLE EVENT: Alpha Epsilon Delta will
be hosting our first annual Winter Ball formal benefiting the A.C.O.R.N
clinic and Gainesville Pet Rescue, Inc.We invite all honors students and
other organizations to join us for a magical evening of live and recorded
music, prizes, distinguished guests, finer foods and spirits, and of course
plenty of exquisite dancing. The event will be held Sunday, December 7th at
the Holiday Inn Conference Center in west Gainesville near Tower road from
8:00 p.m-12:00 a.m. $15 per person provides you with an invitation to the
formal, free food and wine (must be 21+), and a commemorative t-shirt. Come
to room 327 on the 3rd floor of the Reitz Union any time before Dec. 3 to
purchase your tickets. There are only 300 tickets available so reserve yours
today.

8. INFO SESSION ON THE PEACE CORPS: UF's Peace Corps Rep will be holding a
General Information Session in Reitz Union (Room B60) at 6:15 pm on
Thursday, November 20th. For info contact Sarah B. Clark, RPCV Tonga '99 -
'01, UF Peace Corps Recruiter, 411 Peabody Hall, 392-6783
[log in to unmask], www.ufic.ufl.edu/peacecorps

9. CANNED FOOD DRIVE IN HUME THIS WEEK November 17th-21st: Looking for an
easy way to change the world? Please help support children who suffer from
cancer, AIDS, and malnutrition in Nicaragua, Peru, Zimbabwe and Guatemala.
The Student Honors Organization is running a canned food drive in
conjunction with RECURSO the week of Nov. 17th through the 21st. Boxes in
the common areas of Hume should be filled to the brim with non-perishable
goods to benefit these needy children. Please donate any foods that your
parents made you buy at the beginning of the year that are simply burning a
hole in your pantry. Be generous during this season of thanks and
participate in the canned food drive!
10. BAMSA INTEREST MEETING: There will be an interest meeting for the
Biracial and Multiracial Student Association this Wednesday, November 19th
at 6pm at the Reitz Union, rm 276. For those of you that don't know about
us, BAMSA is a new organization that seeks to bring together people of all
backgrounds. BAMSA's goal is to provide a forum for people that identify
with more than one ethnic group, or people interested in multicultural
issues, to get to know each other and discuss, learn about, and celebrate
multiculturalism at UF. In the past, BAMSA has volunteered in the community
at children's multicultural festivals and held bi-monthly discussions on
such topics as interracial marriage and body image.
BAMSA welcomes ALL kinds of people, regardless of your background. We love
hearing different points of view and sharing perspectives. BAMSA is a club
for you, the students, to get together and talk about stuff you're
interested in with all different kinds of people! So come on out this
Wednesday at 6 to talk about the future of BAMSA. Leadership positions are
available! This is a great opportunity! For more info, contact [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

11. CARING FOR SENIORS: A NEW VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Join a new student
volunteer organization!  Caring For Seniors is dedicated to improving the
quality of life of nursing home residents through interaction and student
led activities.  Our first meeting will be Wednesday, November 19th at 6:00
pm in the Reitz Union, room #273.

12.  CANNED FOOD AND TOY DRIVE: RECURSO is a non-profit student organization
that raises awareness on
issues such as global development and poverty alleviation in underdeveloped
countries such as Nicaragua, Peru, Zimbabwe and Guatemala. Through a series
of events and fundraisers we seek to specifically assist children who suffer

from cancer aids and malnutrition in these countries. We would like your
organization to participate in helping us to feed these children. Recurso
will be having a food & toy drive to collect food for needy children in
these countries from Nov 3-21. We will be placing collection boxes: On the
3rd floor of the Reitz Union in the OCS office; La Casita; The Cabinet
Office; All of the Sorority Houses. We ask your organization to provide
donations of any non-perishable food items or toys to these drop off areas.
We will be picking the donations up on November 21. Please let me know if
your organization will be able to participate. You can contact me at
(407)484-7416 or [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Let me know if
there is anything I can do to help your organization get involved with the
food drive. For more information about Recurso, please visit
http://grove.ufl.edu/~recurso .

13. SUMMER STUDY IN UTRECHT: On Thursday, Nov. 20 at 7pm in Dauer 233,
Sharon DiFino will be conducting
an Utrecht 2004 Summer Program meeting to discuss the program and its
curriculum. Students from last summer will be present to offer their insight
and personal experiences. Refreshments will follow meeting. (Utrecht is a
terrific summer program and it is a great location from which to travel all
over Europe.SKD)

14. STUDY ABROAD IN PARIS INFO SESSION: Study Abroad in Paris!! Attention
Students!!
Are you aware that unique new UF Sponsored study abroad opportunities are
available at the Paris Research Center?
Please attend: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 21, at 4:00pm in 230 Florida Gym.
Informational meeting on new study abroad experiences at the UF Paris
Research Center.
Intensive Study over Spring Break, Landscape Architecture Tours in May,
Summer Study Abroad at the Paris Research Center, terms A and B, and more!
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE PARIS RESEARCH CENTER. Please feel free to
browse our website at www.clas.ufl.edu/PRC/ <http://www.clas.ufl.edu/PRC/> .
You can also visit Barbara Dyer in 157 Dauer Hall to pick up program
brochures and course descriptions. The majority of your questions concerning
programs (price, dates, course offerings, etc) will be answered in these
brochures. Please do not hesitate to contact [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by email with your questions. A few
helpful hints for the application process:Applications may be downloaded at
http://www.ufic.edu/oss/sponsored.html#france
<http://www.ufic.edu/oss/sponsored.html> or picked up in person at the
Overseas Study offices in 123 Grinter Hall. You should consult an advisor
and complete the Academic Advising form as soon as possible, and drop off a
copy of it with Barbara Dyer in 157 Dauer Hall, or in her mailbox in 170
Dauer Hall. As soon as you have completed your application, be sure to drop
us a copy of that as well. All original documents, once we have received a
copy, should be turned in to Overseas Study in 123 Grinter Hall. Consult the
Overseas Study website at <http://www.ufic.ufl.edu/oss/index.html> to be
sure that you are informed of the deadlines for the program that interests
you.

15. AED PRE MED INFO SESSION: Are you a pre-medical student, or think you
want to be one? Are you confused about class requirements, volunteer
opportunities, or the medical admissions process? Were you unable to come to
our first presentation? Well don't worry you can still join us, the members
of AED, for another Pre-Medical Information session. We will be presenting
on numerous important topics such as class requirements, medical admissions,
the MCAT, extra curricular activities and more. Following our presentation
there will be a question answer session where we can address any question
you might have, from what teachers to take to where's good place to
volunteer. The info session will be Wed. Nov 19 in the Conference room main
lobby of Jennings Hall at 8:00. So come out for some helpful info and of
course free food! For more information contact Deirdre at [log in to unmask] or
Dave at [log in to unmask]

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
140 Tigert
352-392-1519

You can search the Archives (previous issues) of the Honors Daily
Opportunities List at <http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html>