Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:04:47 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Monday, January 27, 2003

Topics:
1. Honors now hiring new student assistants
2. Art Contest to Decorate Hume (SHO)
3. Study Abroad Fair
4. Watch the State of the Union Address (SHO)
5. Florida Engineering Society Meeting
6. Hot-lanta trip (Black History Month)
7. Undergraduate Medical Humanities Club
8. IDEAL now Recruiting Members
9. Savant Applications Due

Details:

1. HONORS NOW HIRING NEW STUDENT ASSISTANTS: Want a campus job you can put
on your resume?
Come work in the Honors Office! We are looking for students, preferably
freshmen or sophomores, who
are familiar with the Honors Program.  Basic computer skills, knowledge of
phones, faxes and copiers are a plus.  Must have a positive attitude and
good people skills as you will be dealing with students and parents of a
regular basis. Positions will begin later spring semester 2003, and a
stronger weighting will be given to applicants who can work during the
summer for Honors Preview sessions.  Please send resumes to 140 Tigert
Hall,or by email to [log in to unmask] by 5pm, Friday, February 14.
(Two of our long time and super assistants, Kate and Nicole, are graduating
and
we need to replace them. SKD)

2. ART CONTEST TO DECORATE HUME: Art Contest to Decorate Hume and Beyond!
Your friendly Student Honors Organization is conducting an Art Contest for
all of the aspiring honors artists out there. The contest will be used to
decorate the halls of the Hume Commons and other places around campus (such
as the Honors Office). Your art could become famous on UF's campus!!!

Judging will be done on the art, and there will be prizes awarded in
addition to the fact that your art will be publicized for all to see.
Because of the nature of this event, art entries MUST be registered by
January 31st. To register, simply go to the SHO web site at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~sho/ and click the News and Information link. From
there, you should see a link to the official SHO Art Contest Form.

Please remember that all art must be registered by January 31st. In
addition, we would like the Art completed and turned in to the SHO Office in
the Hume commons (by the ping-pong table in the activity room) by February
13th.

Also, please note that there is also a poetry category that does not require
registration. The web site has full rules and instructions for both the art
and poetry categories. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at
[log in to unmask] Good luck!

3. STUDY ABROAD FAIR: The University of Florida International Center will
host a spring 2003 Study
Abroad Fair on Wednesday, January 29th from 10-3 on the Reitz Union
Colonnade.  At the fair, you can learn about study abroad and begin
navigating through the many ways to become a 'Global Gator.'

Summer study abroad applications are due March 1st.  Students interested in
fall or year-long programs need to apply by April 1st.  Scholarships are
available for summer, semester, and year programs.  In addition, there are
several scholarships designated for Honors Program students (at least six).

Those who are unable to attend the fair are encouraged to visit the
International Center in 123 Grinter Hall or at www.ufic.ufl.edu for more
information.

4. WATCH THE STATE IF THE UNION ADDRESS: Do you know what is going on in the
world? Why don't you find out. Come out and watch the annual State of the
Union. President Bush will be talking about his plans for world peace and
the Axis of EVIL.Meanwhile, the Students Honors Organization will be opening
two Hume Classrooms on Tuesday, January 28th at 8:00 pm. We are gonna be
displaying Bush's speech on the big projectors. Please come by. Student
Honors Organization.

5. FLORIDA ENGINEERING SOCIETY: GENERAL MEETING with a presentation by Rick
Sayers from the Career Resource Center
Wednesday, January 29, 2002
Weil Hall, Room 270
6:30pm-8:00pm
FREE FOOD AND DRINKS!

-Network with your peers
-Participate in activities such as FES Golf Tournament, middle/high school
engineering design competition
-Gear up for Career Showcase the following week!

Following tradition, we will elect our President for next year at the next
meeting so he or she may learn during Spring with the current officers.
Help
shape our future. Don't hesitate to email us with any questions/comments.
Daryush Mehta, President, FES, UF Student Chapter,280 Weil Hall

6. HOT-LANTA TRIP (BLACK HISTORY MONTH): BHM presents Hot-lanta 2003.Join
the Black History Month celebration by Getting on the Bus to Atlanta
February 21 through 23. This weekend trip includes visiting the MLK center,
AU center and other Atlanta hotspots. Cultural activities will be held
during the day and transportation will be provided for exploring the Atlanta
night life.

The cost of the trip will be $70 and will cover hotel and transportation.
Turn
your money in by Friday January 31 to secure your spot on the bus. We will
be
leaving early Friday morning and returning Sunday afternoon. Absences from
class can be excused. Turn money in to the IBC by FRIDAY JAN 31st. Make
checks payable to Black History Month. For more information contact:

7. THE UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL HUMANITIES CLUB is holding a meeting on
Wednesday the 29th.  Our guest will be Dr. Romrell from the med school; the
meeting will be in Room 272/273 of the Reitz Union from 6-7.30 pm.
Paul Walia. [log in to unmask]

8. IDEAL NOW RECRUITING MEMBERS: IDEAL (Informing and Developing Emerging
and Active Leaders) is a
peer-consulting group that acts as a liaison between the 550+ student
organizations on the UF campus and the Office of Student Activities. We are
responsible for facilitating workshops and consultations for student
organizations, planning the Student Organization Fair each semester, and
producing monthly leadership seminars in the Residence Halls.  If your
organization has an area in which you would like to see improvement, check
us out!  More information can be obtained at www.union.ufl.edu/ideal.

We are currently looking for new members who are enthusiastic, dedicated,
and want to help other students improve their leadership skills.
Applications for membership are available on the 3rd floor of the Reitz
Union, Office 324.  Electronic copies are available on the web at
www.union.ufl.edu/ideal.  Applications are due in to the Office of Sudent
Activities on the 3rd floor of the Reitz Union no later than 5 pm on Friday
Jan.
31. Feel free to contact us at [log in to unmask] or 392-1655 x311 with
any questions or concerns.

9. SAVANT APPLICATIONS: Savant applications are out for Spring 2003
Semester. Savant is a leadership honorary organization that is seeking
leaders from UF and around the community. Applications can be picked up in
Room 310B of the Reitz Union or downloaded from www.savantuf.com.
Applications are due Friday, January 31.  Come and meet the best leaders UF
has to offer. For info contact [log in to unmask]

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name of the event in the subject line.