Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:39:35 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Topics:
1. Deadline to Apply for Spring Graduation
2. "A Capella Concert"
3. Tennis On Wheels
4. Study Abroad Fair
5. Info on a Career in Community Organizing
6. Summer Study in Provence (don't need to be a French major)
7. Lectures on the Euro and the Political Economy of Exchange Rates
8. SHO's Date Auction Fund Raiser

Details:

1. DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR SPRING GRADUATION:  Deadline to apply for a spring
semester degree is Friday  Jan. 31.
Applications are available in 222 Criser Hall or online at
<http://www.reg.ufl.edu/pdf/degapp1.pdf>

2. "A CAPELLA CONCERT"
NO SOUTHERN ACCENT
Contemporary A Cappella Concert
This Wednesday, January 29
@ 8:30 PM in the Music Building Rm. 120

Come hear UF's Premiere A Cappella Group belt out Nelly, En Vogue,
Matchbox Twenty, and more!  Help us rustle up a big crowd so we can try
out our new set for the International Championship for Collegiate
Acappella!  Check out our website at www.nosouthernaccent.org for
details. Hope to see you there!

3. TENNIS ON WHEELS is looking for service-oriented students!  We are a
student volunteer organization looking for enthusiastic members to help run
wheelchair tennis clinics. No tennis  experience is required. All you need
is a tennis racket (we can provide this) and a little free time.  This
organization was started two years ago and since then we've had fun working
with and making an impact on the lives of many local children. This semester
we will be running clinics at local schools, during their normal school
hours. Additionally, this semester we are going to try a couple of new and
exciting volunteer events.  We are planning on possibly volunteering at the
NASDAQ100 tennis open (they have a wheelchair tennis tournament) and the ARC
of Gainesville (an elderly community).

If you are interested in Tennis on Wheels (TOW), you should plan on
attending a training/information session on Thursday, January 30 at Flavet
Tennis Courts at 6:00pm.  Please bring your planners.  At this meeting, we
will also be collecting money for our first ever T-shirt!  We are super
excited about looking nice for our children :)  If you would like to contact
us please feel free to email us at [log in to unmask]

4. STUDY ABROAD FAIR: The University of Florida International Center will
host a spring 2003 Study Abroad Fair on Wednesday, January 29th from 10-3 on
the Reitz Union
Colonnade.  At the fair, you can learn about study abroad and begin
navigating through the many ways to become a 'Global Gator.'

Summer study abroad applications are due March 1st.  Students interested in
fall or year-long programs need to apply by April 1st.  Scholarships are
available for summer, semester, and year programs.  In addition, there are
several scholarships designated for Honors Program students (at least six).

Those who are unable to attend the fair are encouraged to visit the
International Center in 123 Grinter Hall or at www.ufic.ufl.edu for more
information.

5. INFO ON A CAREER IN COMMUNITY ORGANIZING: Want a fulfilling career
fighting for justice?  Enjoy working with people?  You can create meaningful
change.  Find out about Community Organizing!  Thursday, Jan 30th 8pm at the
Institute for Black Culture (1510 Univ. Ave) Ben McConnell with the Direct
Action Research & Training Center (DART) will speak about positions
available in the exciting field of community organizing and social change.
Hispanic and Black Culture.

6. UF IN PROVENCE MEETING: There will be a UF in Provence meeting this
Thursday, January 30th at 4 p.m. in 1110 Turlington. Attention: It is not to
late to apply to study abroad in the South of France with UF in Provence.
(What a terrific location for a summer program. SKD)

Students who wish to apply and all students who are in the application
process should attend this meeting. For more information, please contact us
at: [log in to unmask] RSVPs for the meeting are appreciated. Best, Dr
Zachmann

7. The European Union Studies Program is pleased to announce its first guest
speaker for Spring 2003

Jeffry Frieden (Harvard)
will be giving two talks:

Tuesday Jan 28th 3:30-5:00pm
What is the European Single Currency (Euro) and
Why Should We Care?

and

Wed Jan 29th 1:30-3:00pm
(co-sponsored by the Department of Economics)
The Political Economy of Exchange Rates:
Theory and Applications to the European Union and Latin America
 (reception to follow)

Both talks will be held in
Anderson Hall, room 216

Dr Frieden is an established scholar who has written extensively
international political economy including several books, edited volumes and
articles specifically dedicated to exchange rate policy. His full CV and
several recent articles related to these two talks can be found on his home
page: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~jfrieden/

8. SHO's DATE AUCTION FUND RAISER:

Looking for a date for Valentine's Day or even just a friend to chill with
and watch American Idol or your favorite TV show?!?  Want to find a friend
to hang out with or even someone to play video games with?  Then come out to
SHO's Date Auction at 7pm on Thursday, January 30!  This event is for
EVERYONE!  Anyone can auction themselves off, come bid on somebody, or even
just some to watch the excitement!

The auction will be held in the Honors College Commons, and there will be
free desserts and other great food.  If you want to be auctioned off or just
want some more information email us at [log in to unmask]  The day of the
date auction the people being auctioned off will provide information about
themselves to be read by the auctioneers.

Come to experience the fun and excitement along with many laughs and great
food!  All proceeds go to Dance Marathon and the Children's Miracle Network.
It's gonna be lots of fun, and it's for a great cause!

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name of the event in the subject line.